Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Trend in Pre-Owned Market

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean 3rd party leases?

Because Tesla didn't start offering leasing on the Model 3 until April of 2019... meaning none will start coming off lease until April 2022 at the earliest...

(and even then the % of leased Model 3s is VERY low- because for most it's a pretty terrible deal overall, plus no option to buy at end of lease)

Similar things happened during the Great Depression. During the just prior Roaring 20's people spent like crazy. Lived paycheck to paycheck. Everybody bought cars. The more expensive the better. Stutz, Dusenberg, Cadillac, Lincoln, Delahay etc. They guilded them with chome, white wall tires, rumble seats, and luggage racks for their trip to the train stations for lavish vacations. People borrowed money to invest in the booming stock market.

Then it all came crashing down. The stock market dived and many lost everything. People stopped buying and the factories closed down. People lost their good jobs and bread lines formed. Buddy can you spare a dime became a constant when walking down the street. Banks foreclosed on not only homes, but also family farms and businesses.

Many of those fancy cars lost tremendous value. Some were simply left abandoned along the side of the road when owners could no longer afford to do minor repairs or even refill the tank.

It took the War to get America booming again. Everyone had jobs and even the women of the families worked the factories to produce munitions to support the men that were sent off to fight.

Currently governments are pumping tremendous amounts of $ into the economy. Intent is to allow people to not only survive this crisis, but also to have $ to spend to keep commerce turning.

Most have faith that this virus will be overcome through vaccines, medications and treatments. Until these can be developed social distancing and sheltering in place will buy some time for the solutions to arrive.

A silver lining is that many have taken notice at how much cleaner our air and water has become since the factories have closed and lots fewer gassers are on the road. People in cities can see so much more clearly and the mountains and hills look crisp. Perhaps it will energize people even more to realize how much better our planet can be.

I sold my 2020 Model 3, because I was very unhappy with the paint quality and fit and finish on the exterior. I loved the interior, which had no problems, loved the seats, the dash, the no gas stations, and the technology. I also think it is one of the best driving cars I have ever driven. Due to this pandemic and the affect it has had on the climate does have me thinking very seriously about going back to an EV. The Taycan is too expensive, I don't love the S or X. I have never seen the Y, but have heard god things. My favorite is still the 3. It is a serious consideration that the more EV's we have, the better our cities will be.