Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Rate Plans improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AZTech

MYLR Blue w/B&W, 19" Gemini, no tow or FSD
Dec 3, 2021
Chandler, AZ
Most utility rate plans in our area go to four significant digits, e.g., $0.0423/kWh, which seems pretty standard. So when setting up a custom rate plan in the Tesla app to estimate my charging costs, I was surprised I had to enter $0.04 since it wouldn't take any more digits. Seems like a simple fix to improve the accuracy of the cost estimate...

Would also be nice if we could submit/share custom rate plans to help Tesla update their database with plans in each area...

I suppose, but how necessary is it? the Model Y has about a 75kWh battery pack so even if you charged 100% the maximum difference would be 75 * $0.005 = $0.375. I always viewed the ability to set the rate as a convenience to give a rough estimate of the charges, never as something that was intended to be completely precise. Within 40¢ is seems close enough.

I suppose, but how necessary is it? the Model Y has about a 75kWh battery pack so even if you charged 100% the maximum difference would be 75 * $0.005 = $0.375. I always viewed the ability to set the rate as a convenience to give a rough estimate of the charges, never as something that was intended to be completely precise. Within 40¢ is seems close enough.
True, but over time the difference can add up and to me, as an engineer, if you're going to provide a tool like this, which requires someone to enter their full rate plan details, why not make it as precise as possible?