Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck ordering questions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to buy my first Tesla and have some questions if you could help with some or all please?

If I reserve a mid or high range but don't manage to get the money / financing agreed to pay for it when the time comes could I at that point probably switch to ordering a low end model instead while keeping the locked in full self driving cost for the order?

Do right hand drive versions of the vehicles come months or years later normally? I don't know how much of a delay is normal. I guess the Cybertruck is likely to be relatively rarer here in the UK compared to the states also as pickups are very rare here and it's rather large for our roads and parking spots

If the tri-motor isn't coming out till one year later would we still be expected to spec out and pay for the order in late 2021 or would that be pushed back a year to around late 2022 when that version comes out? I don't know how this has gone with previous vehicles and it could make the difference between me just barely being able to afford to finance one or failing to.

Lastly could I possibly buy a low or mid Cybertruck, drive it for a year and then trade it in for a high end model?

Yes to your first and last questions. However, as you are overseas w/ a right hand driving environment, it might be different (to change up an order) as your build and shipping Specs. are extraordinary circumstances. Here in the US it can be done rather easily.

When you set up the pre-order there is about a 3 page contract agreement to read; it tells us that there is a yet undetermined time when some choices will have to be made, action taken.

There was an Aussie somewhere here talking about the right hand models coming out "much later", but he was not too specific on a timing window.

Actually, it appears MANY of your government leaders in the EU are submitting their orders already. I would suggest simply putting in your order for the CyberTruck you want, and pay the $100 USD deposit, then read over the agreements that Tesla has set up with overseas clients. If you don't like it, you cancel, and get your deposit back.

Which Bristol are you at?

Thanks! I'm struggling a bit meeting large debt repayments at the moment so I don't have spare cash right now anyway, but I hope to put a reservation in within the month or few (hopefully before the FSD cost rises more). I might reserve a couple of different models to have options just in case. I'm in Bristol, England, UK.

Reactions: Electruck
AH yes, beautiful! Welcome!

Yes, we are in the similar boat that we want to pay cash, so our 24 month window is good. I'll sniff around and see what I can find for you.

If you make the deposits let us know what you find so others can see. Are you familiar with the AutoPilot? It's not FSD but they all come standard with it.

Will do. I'm a worse position in that I'm fairly badly in debt, but aiming to work loads and pay it off by the end of next year. I could hopefully then just about save enough for the deposit in the year following.

I would want the full self driving to make money from the vehicle as a robotaxi when not using it. I'm aware of roughly what autopilot does. Unusually I currently don't actually know how to drive (I'm in my late 30s but have managed fine with bicycles to now) but I'm planning to learn at some point next year and then get a small van to drive around till Cybertruck gets here.

Thanks but that wouldn't be a job I'd be skilled or good at. I am considering retraining as a solar panel / roof installer but that's some years off if it ever happens (I need to thoroughly look into at some point I have time) and I'd probably need to do some electrical courses. For the foreseeable future I plan to stick with painting and decorating work.

Apply and interview, they may be training people the Tesla way. All they can do is say no. (There's nothing quite like an employee discount!)

Oh yes, the solar industry is popping off here too. Good to meet you!

Folks, NEVER extend yourself to buy a car. It is the worse thing from a financial perspective that you could ever do.
It is a seriously deprecating asset and when buying a Tesla, a huge not needed cost.
I know it's cool and all that, but it's just not worth going into that much debt.

Save some money, don't plunder it.

The biggest issue is that you won't have liquid assets in case something happens in the next few years.

Wait a few years and work for it, you will appreciate the car a lot more.

Reactions: doghousePVD
No need to over think this. You can put down a $100 deposit. As things go along they will become more clear, with your own individual circumstance.

Tesla is opening up a Gigafactory in Germany, and that is where they probably will also be making RHD versions with modifications to meet the European marketplace.

Lots of unknows right now, but at a certain point you will be offered the opportunity to configure your personal car. At that time, more of these unknown will become more clear.