Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thought experiment: Guy with Foundation Series offer adds Person#2 to title as Joint Owner; finalize "sale" to P#2 in a year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I would be ok with this if the "Bob" pays for and keeps the vehicle 100% and puts money into escrow for any liabilities that may come up in that year that get traced back to me.
Why would I the "Alan" in this case do this- I would need to know who they are to decide if it is worthwhile. With money alone I doubt it is worth risking.

I want to add my nephew to my reservation but could not find a spot on the configurator to do that? Do I need to talk to a human? He is mature and I a not concerned about the risk management issues since I have a good long term relationship with him and my insurance company.

You don't do it at RESERVATION time @Ampster . Just one name and an email are sufficient for the reservation. That's only a couple hundred bucks and is all refundable to you if you don't actually order. So, there's no skin in the game there.

But after you are placing a firm order, and have paid the non-refundable $1000 to Tesla, only THEN will Tesla have you do all the things in the app to fully complete the ordering process. That is the time where you can optionally specify a joint owner. And in the particular case of this thread, that is when "Alan" specified "Bob" as his joint owner, then Bob uses his Tesla App to put in the rest of his personal info, drivers license, etc.

So in your case, that is when your nephew gets listed (by you) and confirmed (by him).