Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybervault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Text:

Why is it safe and durable?

High-strength low-carbon steel box body, integrated stamping forming process

Extraordinary texture, safe and reliable

Cyber power-up, hard-core departure, new Tesla charging products are on the market

countdown 1 day

From the translated WeChat release and that image, I am now guessing that perhaps the Cybervault is a ruggedized and "tamper resistant" L2 EVSE for destination and public chargers, potentially with some kind of payment infrastructure, but basically a rugged, "secured" EVSE for use in "public" spaces.

They'll probably sell a bunch to Cybertruck buyers in the US too to put in their garages "because cyber" but it likely won't have any technical advantage over a V2/V3 Tesla EVSE unless it supports higher L2 charging speeds, but with the WeChat PR I am guessing this is targeting trendy public spaces in China for EVSE sales.

Imo it's a Cyber-battery+charger and it will match the Cyber 25k car that Tesla are starting factory build for i Mexico and rapidly will copypaste to Shanghai, Austin and Berlin. Once they have one plant of it up and running in each region they will make region specific variants based on the same platform and manufacturing technology.

This would actually be interesting for destination chargers and other public and semi-public spaces (especially with a mix of Tesla and J1772 connectors in NA) if it had a more useful locking mechanism, that would allow someone to open it via some other mechanism (i.e. RFID card reader). Even as simple as a built in solenoid to release the lock, with a dry contact input to control it, so you could connect it to whatever you want from cheap RFID readers to higher end security systems. Bonus you could potentially automate or semi-automate billing charge time by correlating the access control with charge stop/start times.

Reactions: iPlug
Slightly dissapointing. But maybe they use similar stainless steal process as a way to test supply chains and get some 30x experience in China so they can start Cybertruck production a few quarters after Austin.