Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DA told me that no charging adapters are included with purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those standard Tesla carpeted floor mats are total crap low rent. I know what thick plush premium automotive carpeted floor mats look and feel like. These ain't it. I am thankful the SR+ had none.

I already have these for my Model 3 I don't even own yet!

front_mat_web_ready_grande.jpg

Luxe Mats for Tesla Model 3

My DA was charging my car from a 240 Nema outlet at delivery with my car's Mobile Charger.
When it was time to demo the trunk he showed me how to disconnect the charger from the charge port and proceed to unplug the
240v Nema 14-50 adaptor from the charger leaving it hanging out of the wall socket.
He placed the mobile charger in the carrying case in the trunk and showed me the 120V adapter.
When I asked about the Nema 14-50 adapter I was told "Not included and but I could order it".
I objected as I was told about the option of installing an 240 volt outlet for home charging when I purchased the car in April.
I don't have an 120 outlet in the car port and a little annoyed, said now what am I supposed to do ?
But you see I ordered the car in April but Purchased it (5/25) in May, and the adapter is no longer included.
And of course the DA who sold me the car and arranged for its delivery, well its their day off........
But he would be glad to sell me one for $15
He Went to the stock room and just happened to find one, no box, no bag, no parts label like you would get if you just ordered one.
The term Lying Snakes comes to mind.
There were no phone cables either, but I did get the J1772 adapter and its still listed on the just printed "Windows Sticker".
$68K car and here come the nickels and dimes.

Tesla can never make everyone happy at the same time. Kind of gets old hearing people bash Tesla over some of these changes.

They did reduce the cost of the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle kit when they changed it up and excluded the majority of the adapters that use to come with the kit. People were objecting to the higher cost of the kit and the fact that they rarely used most of the adapters that were included. So looks like they figured the NEMA 5-15 adapter (for standard 120 AC outlet) would be the universal one to include. Most people probably have an AC outlet in their garage; and while not the fastest by any means, the 5-15 would enable people a means to charge their car enough to get them to another location with faster charging until they got a faster home charging set up. People who are setting up their garages to charge either put in a HPWC (no need for an adapter) or installed a NEMA 14-50 240v outlet (in which case they would buy the J-1772 adapter which has always run close to $100). Or some people have washer/dryers in their garages (at least in California I've seen) and they could run their charging off an outlet for that (which would require a different adapter). We charge at home and installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet but purchased the corded mobile connector instead of the HPWC (both of which run about $500 but are more or less permanent sources in the garage). Not everyone's charging situation is the same. Some will only use Superchargers or Urban chargers if they don't have home charging solutions. Some may never use a J-1772 (the most expensive adapter). I don't think Tesla made a bad choice in doing this especially with the Model 3 being priced lower than the Model S/X and needing to keep margins at a good level for themselves.

As for the phone connectors, another situation where they had been supplying a solution (two cords, but one for an iPhones and one for Android phones) and a number of people not wanting one of each. Some did, but from my experience at the delivery center most people wanted two of the same type. I can see where not providing a solution and letting people buy what they wanted made sense for them and the majority of their customers.

I'm sure when people bought their car before these changes went into effect where they received the complement of adapters and the two different phone cords, the cost of them were factored into the overall car pricing. So many essentially paid for things they didn't need.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67King and Sherlo
Some may never use a J-1772 (the most expensive adapter)

This seems like it would be a very small set of people but maybe I am just out of touch since that is my most used adapter. When I have traveled in CA, Level 2 J1772 destination charging has been an important part of trip planning as it is way more common than Tesla destination chargers. Even when I leave my car at the airport, that is all J1772 charging.

It just seems stingy to leave that one out, as I think most people will buy it. Like when trucks used to be sold without a bumper. Especially when every other EV on the market comes with one.

This seems like it would be a very small set of people but maybe I am just out of touch since that is my most used adapter. When I have traveled in CA, Level 2 J1772 destination charging has been an important part of trip planning as it is way more common than Tesla destination chargers. Even when I leave my car at the airport, that is all J1772 charging.

It just seems stingy to leave that one out, as I think most people will buy it. Like when trucks used to be sold without a bumper. Especially when every other EV on the market comes with one.

Not disagreeing with it being popular as it's probably the only one we use too, as my husband's office has ChargePoint chargers there and he will either charge at work, at a Supercharger or at home. I am sure there are people who don't travel much and only use their home set up or a SC. I can't say we have ever used a J1772 however other than at his office though and we've done a few trips down the state and never needed to use an adapter.

As Tesla has tried to get the cost of the Model 3 down and production up, I can see where supplying all these adapters and unneeded phone cables seems like a waste though. Suppose they could tack on another $100 to the cost of the car and include it and people wouldn't feel like they were being cheap.

Last edited:
I will likely never have to use a 1772 but I agree that it’s nice to have included. I will never use the 14-50 adapter I got (at least I don’t think I will). My outlet at home is a 6-50 so had to order that one.

Not sure how much it costs Tesla to make the 14-50 but makes sense as a cost cutting move.

The bigger point, IMHO, is that there's no attempt to "officially communicate" the changes. For instance, "any cars ordered after April 1st will no longer include blah blah blah". So when you order one has a chance to determine the set of features and accessories that come with the car. For those who need more, they acquire them in a timely fashion.

To just be told something a day or two before delivery; or worse, don't know what to expect upon delivery shows very little respect for the customer. Tesla should be held to account until they change their ways. They should not be given a pass for anything because they are Tesla.

When you put $2500 down you locked in a sale.
Then the games start at delivery over an unwritten change you never signed up for.
It’s cheap to take an item away to save $1-20 bucks their cost on a 35-70k product

Maybe an M3 Stripper
You wanted lug nuts with that tire, air? Well that’s extra
We left off one sun visor, learn to share.
Tow hook, order it if you think you’ll need it.
Valve stem caps, only two to a car.
You only get one stalk you can swap it between turn signals and shifting.
Maybe design the Brake & accelerator like a teeter totter saving a pedal
Paper towel floor mats.
Projected saving $100........
Customers who would buy it Priceless....

Last edited:
My DA was charging my car from a 240 Nema outlet at delivery with my car's Mobile Charger.
When it was time to demo the trunk he showed me how to disconnect the charger from the charge port and proceed to unplug the
240v Nema 14-50 adaptor from the charger leaving it hanging out of the wall socket.
He placed the mobile charger in the carrying case in the trunk and showed me the 120V adapter.
When I asked about the Nema 14-50 adapter I was told "Not included and but I could order it".
I objected as I was told about the option of installing an 240 volt outlet for home charging when I purchased the car in April.
I don't have an 120 outlet in the car port and a little annoyed, said now what am I supposed to do ?
But you see I ordered the car in April but Purchased it (5/25) in May, and the adapter is no longer included.
And of course the DA who sold me the car and arranged for its delivery, well its their day off........
But he would be glad to sell me one for $15
He Went to the stock room and just happened to find one, no box, no bag, no parts label like you would get if you just ordered one.
The term Lying Snakes comes to mind.
There were no phone cables either, but I did get the J1772 adapter and its still listed on the just printed "Windows Sticker".
$68K car and here come the nickels and dimes.

Found my card billed today for $37.32 not $15 as I said Lying Snakes

SR+ RW, delivery date of 5/22; came with the mobile connector and NEMA 5-15 and SAE J1772 adapters, no phone cables & floormats or frunk may. ordered all weather mats and phone cable same day from Tesla’s online store. Delivered today 5/28... NOW I can allow passengers in the car

Found my card billed today for $37.32 not $15 as I said Lying Snakes

The NEMA 14-50 adapter is $35 without tax, but I'm betting the $15 quoted was for the cost of the phone cable ($14 without tax). Doesn't sound like you were overcharged for it though. The parts department if you spoke to them should have been able to quote you the exact price. Since you didn't have a 120v outlet in your garage and were taking the car home, you were kind of lucky that they even had the 14-50 in stock at that moment. I know you don't feel lucky but at least you could charge at home at your convenience when driving home. But I do get the annoyance and misinformation you got.

Last edited: