Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage on a brand new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kayba

Nov 22, 2018
Sweden
Hi!

I am thinking of buying a Tesla, and have done a lot of research on the internet. I found this video on youtube where the owner is telling that the car had different types of damages on hes brand new car, and that Tesla didn't notice this damages.

Are the damages in the video normal? Have anybody here experienced damages like these on a brand new Tesla?

• Funny
Reactions: McManX and P85_DA
Hi!

I am thinking of buying a Tesla, and have done a lot of research on the internet. I found this video on youtube where the owner is telling that the car had different types of damages on hes brand new car, and that Tesla didn't notice this damages.

Are the damages in the video normal? Have anybody here experienced damages like these on a brand new Tesla?

In the video the owner only mentioned 2 issues: small dent on hood (2m44s) and bad paint job on front bumper (3m17s)

When he contacted Tesla, Tesla said that they took full responsibility of this and they will take this car in service fix the paint and dent (3m33s)

"...the only issues I had with this car by now is as i mentioned the paint job on the front bumper and the dent, nothing more...." (4m24s)

Reactions: radio
In the video the owner only mentioned 2 issues: small dent on hood (2m44s) and bad paint job on front bumper (3m17s)

When he contacted Tesla, Tesla said that they took full responsibility of this and they will take this car in service fix the paint and dent (3m33s)

"...the only issues I had with this car by now is as i mentioned the paint job on the front bumper and the dent, nothing more...." (4m24s)

Have you seen that type of paint job on other parts of the car?

But is this normal? And the paint job on the front bumper looks bad. Have you seen that type of paint job on other parts of the car?

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Please understand that all new cars from all carmakers sometimes have paint defects and other issues. The quality of Tesla cars shipping out now is substantially improved from what they have shipped even 2 years ago and will continue to get better.

The important thing is that they will fix any issues that are found and chances are you will be delivered a car with absolutely no issues.

Ours have been perfect and we would have no concern whatsoever about placing an order for another new car.

Also the Model S production processes and platform are now solid and well refined.

Reactions: P85_DA and Corsair
I know two other owners that are equally crazy about details as I am.
None of our cars had any cosmetic defects, and that's four cars.

Then a Tesla is obviously not the right choice for you. There are tons of small detail issues on every Tesla (even new). It's simply nowhere near the German Premium.

But as soon as you drive it, you'll forget all these little things...

Reactions: croman
Hi!

Dear Kayba, I had a bit of similar feelings when ordering my Model S.

Any car can get damage in transport or even have a defect undetected at the factory. It is up to the delivery organisation to make final quality check. I guess all service centers are not created equal, and especially Model 3 rush in US has caused staffing issues.

I see you are in Sverige. You should check with local Tesla club for experiences. I can tell that the Finnish SC took really special care in detailing and ensuring that car is 100% perfect. If I understood correct, they had 4 days of buffer by default between car arriving and delivery day, to make checks and detail it.

The horror stories spread quick and global, but don’t necessarily represent any kind of truth for the most of us.

Please understand that all new cars from all carmakers sometimes have paint defects and other issues. The quality of Tesla cars shipping out now is substantially improved from what they have shipped even 2 years ago and will continue to get better.

The important thing is that they will fix any issues that are found and chances are you will be delivered a car with absolutely no issues.

Ours have been perfect and we would have no concern whatsoever about placing an order for another new car.

Also the Model S production processes and platform are now solid and well refined.

That is reassuring. But my worry is also to the hidden errors on the car. If there are visible faults no the car, as unnecessary as the ones in the video, can this mean than I also have to expect that it might turn up other errors that are not visible when I pick up the car from Tesla. And how will such faults be handled by Tesla?

That is reassuring. But my worry is also to the hidden errors on the car. If there are visible faults no the car, as unnecessary as the ones in the video, can this mean than I also have to expect that it might turn up other errors that are not visible when I pick up the car from Tesla. And how will such faults be handled by Tesla?

The "invisible errors" are what the warranty is there for. I tend to be the paranoid worrying type but honestly I think you are over thinking this. I'm sure your local Tesla team will take good care of you. Go over the car carefully and if you see anything amiss point it out and they will fix it.

Otherwise, just relax, enjoy the experience. All your worries will be long forgotten when you drive your car home. Congrats!

Reactions: Saimaannorppa