Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged by FWD on the first day...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is almost too embarrassing to admit, but I ended up damaging my falcon wing door the same day I took delivery. No, this is not another tread about the door malfunctioning. It was more my brain that malfunctioned.

So I took delivery of my beautiful Midnight Silver 90D and spend the entire afternoon on my driveway messing around with the doors, configuring the car, experimenting with Auto Summon, and just admiring the car that I had waited three years for. After awhile, I pulled the car into the garage and heard a heart stopping crunch. Apparently I had left the FWD behind the driver's seat open and just drove the door straight into the overhang of the garage. My heart stopped for a few minutes.

After I regained consciousness, I reluctantly went to assess the damage. The glass on the roof was cracked, but what's worse was that when I tried to close the door, it wasn't able to fully close. The door is now misaligned by 1-2 degrees. I had to pull on the door and press it in far enough that the mechanical catch was then able to close it fully.

For the next few hours those 2 minutes just looped in my brain over and over. At some point I just accepted the situation and thought about how this could have happened. Primarily, I think it was just the fact that the car is so different. This is my first Tesla and first EV. Even though I know how everything is supposed to work, I had to erase 30 years of muscle and sensory memory driving ICE and come up with new instincts. It's like switching from Windows to Mac, or vice versa. There are just enough things different that you end up doing things wrong the first few times because your instincts are wrong.

Here's how I rationalized the accident. One, on a regular vehicle, if the rear passenger door was open, you'd expect a door in your path when you get into the driver's side door. With the FWD, the doors were lifted mostly out of my visual field that I just didn't sense that it was open in my distracted state. Two, because it's an EV, there is zero engine noise, so when I put it into drive, I didn't hear any outside noise that cued me into the fact that the FWD was open. Three, the little warning that told me that the door was open was so soft, and the interface on the dash was so new and full of information that I was not accustomed to, that I totally did not notice any warning whatsoever. In the end, if I had been lucky to not have the accident for a few weeks, I would have developed the new instincts that would prevent this altogether.

Now all I can do is to wait for the damage report from the body shop. The glass obviously has to be replaced. The biggest question is if the door itself is bent. If bent, I was told, then the whole door would have to be replaced, which means new paint and color matched door. That would just kill me.

At least I didn't have both FWD open.

Attachments

• IMG_20160426_114436.jpg
    IMG_20160426_114436.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20160426_155731.jpg
    IMG_20160426_155731.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_20160426_155737.jpg
    IMG_20160426_155737.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 294
The x will not move until the doors are completely closed.

That does not appear to be true

This isn't the first story about this so whatever warnings and precautions there are don't seem to be helping.

Although I can also rip off the door of my car if I am not paying attention but in that example the warnings are so annoying i can't imagine it happening. Even driving up my driveway after picking up my mail and forgetting the seat belt is unbearable for that 30 yards.

That does not appear to be true

This isn't the first story about this so whatever warnings and precautions there are don't seem to be helping.

Although I can also rip off the door of my car if I am not paying attention but in that example the warnings are so annoying i can't imagine it happening. Even driving up my driveway after picking up my mail and forgetting the seat belt is unbearable for that 30 yards.
The warning is definitely subtle, like the seat belt off sound on a plane. Just a ding. The screen doesn't flash red or anything like that unfortunately. Hopefully this will be addressed in a future update.

The warning is definitely subtle, like the seat belt off sound on a plane. Just a ding. The screen doesn't flash red or anything like that unfortunately. Hopefully this will be addressed in a future update.

First, sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how bad that feels and know that I would be running it over in my head way too many times. But, no one was hurt, the damage isn't awful and nothing you can do now so maybe that is some consolation.

Is the warning a ding or a series of dings that didn't go away and you thought it was something else?

First, sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how bad that feels and know that I would be running it over in my head way too many times. But, no one was hurt, the damage isn't awful and nothing you can do now so maybe that is some consolation.

Is the warning a ding or a series of dings that didn't go away and you thought it was something else?
I just checked again and it is now a relatively loud and continuous beeping when driving with the door open. Either it was there and I just completely spaced out, or it got updated with the most recent OTA update two days ago. I guess it doesn't matter at this point.

There is no reason that the car should allow you to drive with the doors open. With only 3,000 cars shipped, and 4 reported similar situations, it should be clear by now that people are making this mistake. Can you argue that it's incredibly reckless behavior? Yeah. But it is happening, and it's bad press, at best.

When I got my first Prius, I was so scared of driving off with it plugged in. I finally had to test it, and sure enough, I was locked out.

Tesla, get your *sugar* together and lock people out of driving with the doors open! Give them an override on the screen that makes them click a button to disable this lock-out for very special cases, such as a zombie attack in a mall parking garage.

That's a major bummer. I do think they have to understand that FWD's go against all sorts of trained memory. The car needs to go out of its way to be obnoxious and annoying with warnings. It’s different than driving the car with a regular door ajar.

There is no reason that the car should allow you to drive with the doors open. With only 3,000 cars shipped, and 4 reported similar situations, it should be clear by now that people are making this mistake. Can you argue that it's incredibly reckless behavior? Yeah. But it is happening, and it's bad press, at best.

When I got my first Prius, I was so scared of driving off with it plugged in. I finally had to test it, and sure enough, I was locked out.

Tesla, get your *sugar* together and lock people out of driving with the doors open! Give them an override on the screen that makes them click a button to disable this lock-out for very special cases, such as a zombie attack in a mall parking garage.

Exactly. This is something new and needs to be treated as such. Realize that it's a really weird thing to drive with FWD open and require users to consciously decide to override it.

Reactions: Blastphemy

I'm starting to agree with this. Although, in my opinion, the biggest reason for an override is for when sensors fail or some sort of damage causes the doors to not close fully or not be detected as closed when they are.

It is a terribly sad story. But it is not Tesla's fault.

We are so used to big brother being responsible for our acts we expect Tesla to anticipate every lapse in our judgement. Of course you should be able to drive with door open. How many times have we driven with trunk open when we have a long load.

Do I blame my garage door or Tesla when the trunk was up and garaged door button was pushed to come down and the bar dented my trunk? No- I blamed my husband who pushed the button :).

The poster is appropriately taking the fault for a momentary brain fart.

It is a terribly sad story. But it is not Tesla's fault.

We are so used to big brother being responsible for our acts we expect Tesla to anticipate every lapse in our judgement. Of course you should be able to drive with door open. How many times have we driven with trunk open when we have a long load.

Do I blame my garage door or Tesla when the trunk was up and garaged door button was pushed to come down and the bar dented my trunk? No- I blamed my husband who pushed the button :).

The poster is appropriately taking the fault for a momentary brain fart.
It's a measured thing. How likely is it for someone to make the mistake? How costly is the consequence of that mistake? The uglier the answer of those two questions get, the more prominent and insistent the safety measures should be. It's starting to sound to me like the safety measures on this one need to be stepped up a notch. Maybe come up with a unique more aggressive alert sound, with a prompt on the dash in addition to the center console screen, and maybe even prevent it entirely but with an override button, which is kind of like just having a confirmation prompt. As long as their is at least an override option, people can still parade around with the doors open if they want.