Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged by FWD on the first day...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This problem has become so common that you can now get a card to send:
Sympathy2.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca and K-MTG
During the Model X event they were driving all over the parking lot with doors up. It was a major show off tool. Don't feel bad, no one was hurt. It's been done before and will will be done again unless disabled by software in the future.
IMG_3603.JPG

Given the strong feelings on both sides (drivable or not with the doors open), Tesla should take advantage of the OTA updates and just add an option into the preferences that disables moving the car with a door open. Easy enough to patch into the software and would let people opt that or the current alerts, etc.

Reactions: vandacca
I think that I would consider installing a additional little camera on the roof
(like those aftermarket that you can install above your license plate)
allowing to check for any clearance without the need to step out of your car.

The video display would go on automatically on the central display when a FWD will be open,
the same way as when doing back up the rear view get automatically displayed.

Reactions: K-MTG
@indy360 can I inquire as to how much this cost you? I just had the same incident on the driver FWD. Now I must trailer it to the SC to see what the damage$ are... :(

Sorry to hear that. :( Did you have the same damage as mine?

For me, the SC did not handle the repair. Tesla said that this was a collision repair and not a warranty repair so they referred me to a local body shop that they do a lot of work with. The shop had to replace and adjust the hinges and also replace the top glass panel. They did not have to replace the door itself. I filed the claim with State Farm and they paid out about $4100 to the body shop for the repair.

The repair itself was not difficult. The vast majority of the wait was just for Tesla to deliver the parts. Luckily I was able to drive the car in the mean time. After it was fixed everything was ok.

@indy360 No, I hit the garage while entering with the door still up. I bent it so that it would no longer close and is no longer driveable. I have a $500 deductible at Geico, I think it is going to be a several (estimating $8K) thousand dollar claim plus without the car for over 30 days. I am so sad...