Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged Charge Port: Chargeable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was clipped by an 18-wheeler Peterbilt dump truck that cratered the left rear quarter panel, including the charge port.

I can't insert the charger because the bottom post is protruding. We've removed the plate covering the port. Can I cut the post out? it doesn't look electrical. The dash doesn't show any charging issues. Would be nice to have use of the car until we can get a rental replacement.

Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions? Warnings?

Thanks,

Reid

port.jpg

3.jpg

Did you try pulling the release handle inside the trunk? It might well retract that tab.

Aside from that, yes, you can try tapping that tab back down or even cutting it off, or maybe removing the screws below it that I assume are holding the locking mechanism. If you really want, you can look up on youtube how to get the charge port out.

Note that if you do manage to get it charging(and presumably unlocked) never ever pull the plug without stopping charging. Arcing at 48 amps would shorten the life of your charge handle.

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
i would at least pull the interior back and visually inspect the charge port from behind. If there's any significant damage to the charge port or the cabling, I wouldn't use it until it had been properly repaired. I'd say have the Tesla service center inspect it, but I suspect they won't be willing to do so.