Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged Model 3 - Advice for repair? (picture attached)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I could tell you how it happened, I certainly never felt anything and only noticed it when I was walking back to the car. I understand it's going to be quite a costly repair so if I need to get it on insurance I suppose so be it. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice? I have taken it to several body shops but they won't touch it because it's a Tesla (Heaven forbid).

Thank you guys, this is my first post here and it sucks that it's under these circumstances, i've always just been more of a viewer than a participator here.
3751FB31-333A-4254-8EB5-05D4EB16292B_1_105_c.jpeg

I wish I could tell you how it happened, I certainly never felt anything and only noticed it when I was walking back to the car. I understand it's going to be quite a costly repair so if I need to get it on insurance I suppose so be it. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice? I have taken it to several body shops but they won't touch it because it's a Tesla (Heaven forbid).

Thank you guys, this is my first post here and it sucks that it's under these circumstances, i've always just been more of a viewer than a participator here. View attachment 1052340
It looks like Tesla service centre job. You have to use the app and take some photos and attach them and book an appointment. Yes, it may have to come out of your insurance as probably they need to check whether there is any damage to battery pack.

Reactions: Pink Duck
It looks like Tesla service centre job. You have to use the app and take some photos and attach them and book an appointment. Yes, it may have to come out of your insurance as probably they need to check whether there is any damage to battery pack.
That was actually one of the first things I did and they wouldn't touch it. They said they don't repair damage and that I would need to go to a local body shop. Problem is finding one that would touch a Tesla. One of the most common cars on the road these days and yet treated as if strange and unknown.

Sorry, I am unable to edit my message it seems. The damage has actually been there a while, I have been driving the vehicle for several months now without an issue, it is just only now I have decided to do something about it as I was concerned about the cost. I have since settled on it coming out of the insurance if necessary.

They said they don't repair damage and that I would need to go to a local body shop.
This link has the details you need to contact Tesla body shop repair or other approved network.

Very similar damage to what my Mrs done to her model 3 the other day. She was going around a car park that had wooden sleepers in places for raised beds and unfortunately cut the corner without realising they were there and caught one of the sleepers. As mentioned you need to find an approved body shop. The plastic trim at the bottom if needs replacing is about £240 on its own.

I have a very similar dent on my M3, also caused by a high kerb in a car park. After that some more damage was done with a low speed scrape on the other side. The later accident had to be insurance and it was truly gob-smacking to hear the estimate... replace one rear door and repair rear wheel arch £9000... insurer would not pay for the sill damage to as it was clearly a different accident, Tesla approved bodyshop (Veetec) wanted an extra £1800 to repair the sill (damage similar to OP) I've now arranged for a friendly local body shop to pull out and repair the sill for £650 which I consider reasonable.
It's no wonder that our premiums have sky-rocketed if insurers are paying the repairers ludicrous amounts for simple repairs.

Attachments

• IMG_4826.jpeg
    IMG_4826.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 4
Does anyone have any recommendations in the East Midlands area?
I think you have to weigh the risk before going to one of those non approved ones. There are ‘n’ number of issues beyond your control with non approved ones. I wouldn’t take that risk with a Tesla. But neither me nor the forum members can make the decision - will you? That’s the question.

There are couple of Eastern European run body shops near the Bretton area in Peterborough close to the HM prison (just a coincidence). They have done my Range rovers in the past - almost impeccable work. But they did not have to deal with any batteries or electrics or even then with JLR their electrics rarely worked 🤣

I think you have to weigh the risk before going to one of those non approved ones. There are ‘n’ number of issues beyond your control with non approved ones. I wouldn’t take that risk with a Tesla. But neither me nor the forum members can make the decision - will you? That’s the question.

There are couple of Eastern European run body shops near the Bretton area in Peterborough close to the HM prison (just a coincidence). They have done my Range rovers in the past - almost impeccable work. But they did not have to deal with any batteries or electrics or even then with JLR their electrics rarely worked 🤣
I'm concerned because from the stories I've heard what would be a £500-£1000 job, could end up costing nearly 10 grand because it's a Tesla approved service quote. I'd really like to avoid an insurance claim if I can help it. That's the only reason I'd prefer taking it to a reputable third party body shop if that makes sense?

I'm concerned because from the stories I've heard what would be a £500-£1000 job, could end up costing nearly 10 grand because it's a Tesla approved service quote. I'd really like to avoid an insurance claim if I can help it. That's the only reason I'd prefer taking it to a reputable third party body shop if that makes sense?

Getting a quote doesn't mean you have to get the work done.

I would have a good look under the car to ensure that there's no damage extending to the battery pack. If there is then obviously a proper assessment by Tesla authorised service is going to be needed. If it's clearly superficial cosmetic damage only affecting the outer edge of the sill then I would be looking for a recommended independent to quote. (That's "what I would do" purely for information and not a specific recommendation for what anyone else should do.)

In order to understand this perplexing issue created solely by Tesla you have to understand the background. Tesla was a small manufacture of automobiles not to long ago, as such, they do this "Certified" body shop and more importantly hold on to various technology and parts to properly repair the automobiles.

Since this time, they have become extremely popular high production automobiles, but in irony, scaled back their parts availability direct to consumer/repair shops. Normally as a car manufacture grows, so does it repair and parts departments.

In this specific case, it is a basic rocker panel type damage. It is relatively easy to fix by a body shop. Body Shops have lots of experience with highly technical cars these days, this is normal.

Tesla needs to make a move to either a.) making parts more available to multiple body shops. and/or b.) make more body shops have a way to "Certifiy" and make it low cost and simply have techs in house to meet the "Requirements".

My wife damaged her back panel and door. Local Fort Lauderdale Tesla Authorized shops wanted over $6K with NO PARTS. Looking for alternatives but if there is no parts, then they are doing what any other body shop can do for under 4K easily. Due to cost we simply live with this minor damage to the car, which is a bit uncool.

Houston, we have a problem here, hopefully they will address it as they scale up, or in the end they will scale down. Went to my local Tesla Dealership/Store to get WIPER BLADES and they could not sell them to me because I had to go to through the Service App and they CLOSE FROM !-2 for LUNCH. Again, obviously some Corporate/Cultural issues at the Service Centers.

If you want to go cheap, you could fill and repaint. It’s clearly only cosmetic.
Yes that was my argument. How can filling an already dented part that the Tesla Body Shop had no parts to fix, require a Tesla Approved Body Shop. Took mine to NY Upstate where I have a relative that knows a lot of body shops and really, the repair is fairly run of the mill for any Body Shop.