Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$4400 for repairs - Advice Needed

What should I do?

• Pay deductible and get it fixed

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Keep driving and suck it up

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, took my car to Tesla collision center and they quoted $4400 in body paint repairs for the following damage. Good news is insurance will cover it since the claim falls under comprehensive and I have a low deductible but I’m scared my insurance still might go up after. What do you think?
Is it worth to go ahead with the repairs or just suck it up and keep driving since these damages are inevitable (most of my driving is on the freeway). I’m most concerned about the resale value of my car when I do sell it one day. How much do you think these damages will affect my sale price? I love the car and plan on driving it till I feasibly can.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Hi, took my car to Tesla collision center and they quoted $4400 in body paint repairs for the following damage. Good news is insurance will cover it since the claim falls under comprehensive and I have a low deductible but I’m scared my insurance still might go up after. What do you think?
Is it worth to go ahead with the repairs or just suck it up and keep driving since these damages are inevitable (most of my driving is on the freeway). I’m most concerned about the resale value of my car when I do sell it one day. How much do you think these damages will affect my sale price? I love the car and plan on driving it till I feasibly can.
Strange post . . . no information. This kind of post belongs on Reddit.

Strange post . . . no information. This kind of post belongs on Reddit.
Oops sorry. Forgot to attach pictures. I just attached them

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpeg
    IMG_1698.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1707.jpeg
    IMG_1707.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2474.jpeg
    IMG_2474.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 44
… but I’m scared my insurance still might go up after. What do you think? …
Go forward with insurance and have the repairs done. Your rates will go up regardless of whether you go through with the insurance claim or not.

There’s a false perception by people who think that not filing a claim will keep their premiums low or the same. The reality is most insurance companies base their premiums/rates by what it costs them to insure an entire group of people/coverages. So in other words, your annual premium is determined by the total number of claims that are reported and processed in your region, and not so much by your individual actions. Yes, if you are the type of person who gets into & reports a lot of accidents, then of course, your rates will go up more than others with similar vehicles/coverages. But, if you are the type of person who has an occasional accident/claim, then definitely take advantage of the insurance coverage that you’ve already paid for with all your previous and future annual payments.

Get it fixed and be happy. Don’t worry about your rates possibly going up by a few hundred dollars or so per year. Not worth the stress, especially when you can afford to buy a Tesla.

Peace…

Last edited:
Any reason you started 3 threads on the same subject?

• Funny
Reactions: Jedisparky and KenC
How did the damage happen? If the insurer is satisfied that the cause falls within its comprehensive coverage, and not due to some at-fault incident, you shouldn't get a rate increate - or not much of one. If it was due to an at-fault claim, the insurer will invariably get its money back from you over time with increased rates.

That said, how much of a deductible do you have to pay? That's a big part of any decision whether to pay for it yourself or submit a claim.

CA is a fault state. Were you at fault? If not, no insurance increase. If at fault, then yes they could raise your rates unless your policy has ONE get-outta-jail free card.

But I'd definitely fix it.
I wasn’t at fault. A flying object on the freeway hit me and that scenario falls under comprehensive. I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that insurance will pay $4400 and not jack up my premium to recoup their money even if I wasn’t at fault.

Reactions: blodg1
The door has to be fixed, it looks like the quarter panel dent (?) may be able t fix by PDR and touch up. How are they going to fix the quarter panel?
I think they are going to PDR the quarter panel and re-paint the paint chip since they did mention that it might start to rust since it’s made of steel.
I also already asked them if they could just do the door and I can take care of the quarter panel but they said they can’t do that since it has warranty concerns? Either way if I’m paying my deductible, getting everything fixed at the same time makes more sense.

How did the damage happen? If the insurer is satisfied that the cause falls within its comprehensive coverage, and not due to some at-fault incident, you shouldn't get a rate increate - or not much of one. If it was due to an at-fault claim, the insurer will invariably get its money back from you over time with increased rates.

That said, how much of a deductible do you have to pay? That's a big part of any decision whether to pay for it yourself or submit a claim.
Wasn’t at fault. I think deductible is $500. Explained what happened above.

Comprehensive claims can't be charged against you in CA. Only thing your insurance could do if they don't like the risk going forward is drop you at the end of your policy period. That usually takes some kind of risk factor that couldn't be considered before. A crazy ex-wife who vandalized your car, suspicion of unnamed drivers having regular access, tracking your car, etc...

I wouldn't worry about this one.

Shouldn't insurance go up if there's no other party? Even when you have comprehensible?
No. Comprehensive covers items that are obviously out of your control like vandalism, weather, and moving objects. However, your first notice of loss is everything and exactly why the insurance company records it. If you say a ladder was in your lane and you couldn't do anything to avoid it, that is collision. If you were driving and a ladder was moving in to your lane, that is comprehensive. Mysterious collision type damage is collision, unless you have a witness and a responsible party.

Reactions: asterothe