Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damn camera picks up inappropriate speed signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think that's more that in Australia the car doesn't read signs on non-suburban roads at the moment.

My car can read signs on non suburban roads just fine. I live on a rural dirt road 2 hours from Melbourne in the middle nowhere and it has no difficulty reading signs hereabouts. Including one that says "End 40 Area" which it depicts graphically as a circle with a diagonal line.

I am totally confused by what you meant now :) So it doesn't read signs on "local roads"?? Mine does.

What I gather from observation is the car doesn't read signs on divided roads, freeways & highways. Works most places else though.

I'm not going to hold my breath for AP recognizing this sign located in BC, Canada. It's 5 times larger than a regular sign, and followed by overhead variable speed limit indicators, which have a signal light on top of them current AP slows for perceiving it as a potential traffic signal. (Unlit) Will they add all these custom signs into the database for learning/matching or a complex web of recognizing the sign within the sign 'variable speed corridor begins' then parse for speed?

So not only can't you set AP to 100 on this road as the vehicle can't read the speed limit, it slows down as it passes the overhead signs.
20210914_040133.jpg
20210914_040650.jpg

@ACPark
It's at least in a similar format to the normal signs in Canada which use the "Maximum" wording versus "Speed Limit" in the US.

As are our variable signs in Aus where we use the Euro standard number in a red circle.

201004_28_silverwater.jpg

There have been some questions raised about the refresh rates in the signs versus the car cameras.

@ACPark
It's at least in a similar format to the normal signs in Canada which use the "Maximum" wording versus "Speed Limit" in the US.

As are our variable signs in Aus where we use the Euro standard number in a red circle.

View attachment 709123

There have been some questions raised about the refresh rates in the signs versus the car cameras.
when the overhead is anything other than 70 it will see a 70 at eye level on the left and presumably speed up again, unless the wording next to it is standardised