Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangerous To Accelerate P3d With Old Man In My Car?

Should I allow my grandpa to floor my P3D at age 94?

• Yes, he will love the sick acceleration

Votes: 40 66.7%
  • No, it's going to kill him

Votes: 20 33.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. If you are genuinely worried then take a first pass at like 75% throttle.
I was just past my 78th birthday when I picked up my M3P. Impressive acceleration below 60 compared to my other ride, a breathed on 2011 CTS-V Coupe. It has about 27% more RWT with the enhancements - still drives great, better than stock.
You are my new hero.

I would not give it the whole thing up front.. and I would warn him ("get ready... you ready.. im going to go in 3-2-1". You dont want to "shock" him like you would a friend / co worker etc.

Its kind of like a rollercoaster launch (the performance model anyway) and if he has a "history of stroke and heart disease" would you ever forgive yourself if something happened? Take it easy, and see how hes doing, and ride him around a bit. you can give a couple of "mid boost" runs, and see how he does..

Floor it with no warning in chill mode.

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3
I am planning on visiting my 94 year old grandfather soon. He is excited about the new P3D I am getting on Tuesday.
Will accelerating with the full power potentially harm him? He has a history of stroke and heart disease.

Seriously, I'm not 94, but I'm under treatment for heart disease, and when I floor it, I can feel blood move to the back of my head. 0-60 in 3.1 in a Tesla may be worse than the average roller coaster. I usually warn people, but if I know them pretty well and they are younger than I am, I tell them I'm going to count to 3 and floor it. Then I floor it when I hit 2. Not suggested with your grandfather.

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3
I am planning on visiting my 94 year old grandfather soon. He is excited about the new P3D I am getting on Tuesday.
Will accelerating with the full power potentially harm him? He has a history of stroke and heart disease.
I wouldn’t launch the car with him the first time. Maybe do a few 60-80 pulls. Then 45-80. Then call his doctor to see if it’s ok to do a pull from a dig. In all seriously the car feels like a roller coaster accelerating and you know the warning signs at amusement parks right?

Make sure they are aware. I thought it was funny until I blindly rolled an older fella in the P100D and it snapped his head into the head rest while his head was turned. Was trying to be funny as he wasnt aware of electric torque and caused some discomfort for quite some time apparently.

EXCELLENT THOUGHT but SCRATCH THE FIRE

I have said that a man should be allowed to drive at a rate(in MPH) equal to twice his age(in years) at least once each year. The M3P does limit that a bit - glad the V is still available.

An even more interesting, and controversial, thought is that all drivers should be only allowed to drive at a rate less than or equal to twice their age: 16 year olds up to 32 MPH, 40 year olds up to 80 MPH ... .
Traffic congestion would likely be an issue.

Since you are asking the question, I believe you already know the answer, or are just trying to get a rise out of your fellow forum members.

Exposing a full throttle run to a frail older person reminds me of several bad results when bullet proof vest makers had people shoot them to "prove" they worked. Not a really great idea.

Hope your GrandFather enjoys his ride, but anything bad that happens will be on you.