Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam 2021 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dash Cam icon is lighted so I know it is on, yet not recording onto USB. Not sure how to make that happen. The USB drive is the one that Tesla provided with my 2021 and is formatted.

Sentry Mode is recording just fine and listed on USB as Saved Clips- front, back, right repeater, left repeater. Other files on drive are "Saved Clips" and "Recent Clips". All the aforementioned are only photos and video of Sentry Mode.

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-28_0-21-14.png
    upload_2020-12-28_0-21-14.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 223
It is recording you just need to Save it. Tap the Icon and it will Save the 10 minutes. You can also enable Horn Honk Save too.

Or you could just READ the manual. Page 76.

View attachment 621713
2017 MX #76329, at 2020.48.37.1.

I have a [ostensibly] correctly formatted (FAT32) 128GB microSD. I have read the Tesla User Manual. The video icon appears when the drive is inserted in one of the USB ports. I do NOT get an 'X' when I tap )or press/hold) the video icon. The drive is writeable, using the Windows laptop on which the drive was formatted. The drive contains a folder titled "TeslaCam". I have also formatted the drive using the Tesla's support for exFAT, and tehn added the TeslaCam folder using a laptop.

I continue to to be unable to cause the red light to come on when I tap the video icon.

Would appreciate any further suggestions you can offer for resolving this problem.

I have a [ostensibly] correctly formatted (FAT32) 128GB microSD. I have read the Tesla User Manual. The video icon appears when the drive is inserted in one of the USB ports. I do NOT get an 'X' when I tap )or press/hold) the video icon. The drive is writeable, using the Windows laptop on which the drive was formatted. The drive contains a folder titled "TeslaCam". I have also formatted the drive using the Tesla's support for exFAT, and tehn added the TeslaCam folder using a laptop.

I continue to to be unable to cause the red light to come on when I tap the video icon.

Would appreciate any further suggestions you can offer for resolving this problem.
Have you tried formatting the drive from the Tesla menu while plugged into the car?

Tesla says explicitly that exFAT is not supported for Model 3, although the Model X manual says it supports it (although in the music section it says only FAT32 is supported).

If as others mention, formatting in the car doesn't work, I would try formatting it as FAT32. I personally used the guiformat program mentioned in this howto to format my 128GB microSD card, which I used with a card reader. The card reader, I used however has two card slots, so I was unable to use the car to format the card (it shows error that there are two drives connected).
After formatting, I manually copied the TeslaCam folder from the included Tesla USB stick that came with my 2021 Model 3 into the card, and Dashcam worked fine.

Note you can also try rebooting, especially if you recently did an update. Sometimes things stick a bit and a reboot helps.