Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a dash cam installed in my Model S. A few questions:

1) Any particular model that you would recommend (front and rear cam).

2) any partuilar shop that you would recommend in HK?

3) any shop to do the professional installation (I want to hide the wires). Or is a pro even necessary?

Thanks.

I had the same questions when I collected my MS 3 months ago. I narrowed down to 3 brands which, in my opinion, are the best. They are Thinkware, iRoad and Blackvue. I had a Blackvue in my previous car which worked very well without any problems. So naturally, it was my top choice. However, the installer said that it doesn't work well with MS as there are interference. Not sure it's it true. I went for the iRoad V9 in the end. So far it's been working well. Just a note that, I was told that the GPS sensors don't work well in MS as the glass has some sort of material that will block the signal. Since I didn't care much about GPS location on my video, I didn't buy the GPS add on. Some models have them in built and some are add ons.

On installation, most of them are the same. So product+installation costs were my main consideration. Hope this helps.

I have used Blackvue DR650GW 2-ch and now using Thinkware F770. I personally prefer Thinkware due to a better mobile app. They both have very similar functions and features. And like other member mentioned, GPS function do not work because the Tesla windshield blocks the signal.

Have been running with the iRoad V9 for the past week -- it is excellent. Front/rear HD capture, ~7h capacity, low profile unit, very sleek, fully automatic capture with different modes (driving / carpark / motion detect), super clean install w/ no visible wires, and maybe best of all, a wireless connection to your smartphone via dedicated app which allows you to view and save just the chunk of video that you want right to your camera roll. No fiddling about with SD cards or cables or whatnot. Couldn't be easier.

$3000 which includes install. Went with Kevin @ Rapid Auto in Tokwawan (check them out on fb). Took about an hour all in. Couple of decent local restaurants within walking distance so grab a quick lunch while you wait and you'll be all set.

Reactions: mkq786
Agree with bignoodle. I have a v9 too. Capacity could be more than 7hrs. (See point 2 below). Generally, I'm happy with it except for 2 issues.

1. The lights in night videos seems to disperse. Therefore it's not as as sharp at night. May be hard to catch registration plates at night.

2. The number of videos you can review via the wifi phone link is limited. If you want to view more or all the videos, you still have to remove the card and view it on a computer.

reviews for Rapid Auto on fb don't put it in the best light.

I've been using a thinkware f750 2CH think i paid around 3500 for 2CH + parking mode module + install
- video/ audio quality generally good even at night
- app is a bit cumbersome to use but does the job (pulling the SD card and viewing on computer is still quickest)
- videos are auto cut and sorted by events (incident, motion detection, continuous etc).
- thing i hate most: audio reminders and chimes that seemly that can't be disabled (ie: format memory card)

probably wouldn't buy again if i was able to find a better unit.

2. The number of videos you can review via the wifi phone link is limited. If you want to view more or all the videos, you still have to remove the card and view it on a computer.

That's what I thought at first too, but actually, I found that if you scroll up to the top of the recordings list (on the app), and drag down to refresh, it actually does work and loads more. Do that enough times and you can actually go back as far as you want.

Do agree though that this isn't exactly obvious, and in practice, it's a bit clunky (in that maybe it doesn't work perfectly every time, but I think that may be down to a lag in the interface between camera and phone). But certainly better than nothing.

Reactions: Chong
I recently bought the IRO Dashcam for Tesla model S from a store in Golden Computer Arcade in Shum Shui Po. $1980 front view HD cam only with no GPS.

Pros:
  • specifically designed for Tesla. The whole thing hides completely between the rear view mirror and windscreen, you will see no trace of it, no wire, nothing, amazing
  • easy to install (by yourself)

Cons:
  • not cheap (single cam only with no fancy stuff at $1980!!!)
  • image quality not terribly good, may not be able to capture registration plates (you can see some videos on youtube)
  • designed and made in China
  • will capture the reflection of our MCU on the windsreen at night
But if you are interested in an extreme low profile dash cam like me, this is the thing you are looking for. Google IRO DashCam for Tesla Model S, the shop in Shum Shui Po is Zeta. You can walk in to buy cam for AP 1.0 cars and they are taking preorders online for AP 2.0 (S and X)

I bought basically the same dash cam from seller "Teslafans' on eBay. They gave me great customer service all the way from China. Answered my questions by email promptly at same time every day. The unit mounts behind your interior rear view mirror, easy to attach (plug & play). I hated tearing my brand new car apart piece by piece to run long wires. Not necessary with this dash cam.
Uses a cell phone APP to view the camera recording. Comes with a 32GB memory card, records on a loop. If something happens, pull the card and insert in your computer to view footage. What I love about it most is the way they designed it to blend into the Tesla interior. Choose between AP1 and AP2 hardware before ordering. Cost me $253 and I have no stock in the company (wish I did). Look under Tofit Dash Cam. Takes about a week to get to USA address. I had questions and they were courteous and answered my questions. First image shows dash cam photo from eBay and second image is our MX before installation, third image is our MX with dash cam installed.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 153
  • unnamed-9.jpg
    unnamed-9.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 142
  • Helpful
Reactions: canon
CIndy is arranging a group buy of the TopFit dashcam for Model X AP 2.0 (with some other variants available for Model S AP 1.0 and 2.0). She managed to get me an English language sample unit to get an early look and prepare for the mass installation meet-up coming in early April. Here is my installation video and short first-day review:

There is also a sample 1080P HD video uploaded here:

(but beware that youtube re-samples this stuff so the raw video from the camera is likely to be better than the youtube version)

• Informative
Reactions: kinho
CIndy is arranging a group buy of the TopFit dashcam for Model X AP 2.0 (with some other variants available for Model S AP 1.0 and 2.0). She managed to get me an English language sample unit to get an early look and prepare for the mass installation meet-up coming in early April. Here is my installation video and short first-day review:

(but beware that youtube re-samples this stuff so the raw video from the camera is likely to be better than the youtube version)
How do I sign up if I want an English version one too? Can you disable the "greeting" every time it turns on? That can be quite annoying.

Thanks. Seems this is only front, anything for rear?

I have used Blackvue DR650GW 2-ch and now using Thinkware F770. I personally prefer Thinkware due to a better mobile app. They both have very similar functions and features. And like other member mentioned, GPS function do not work because the Tesla windshield blocks the signal.

What does GPS do? Just to record the position or any other alert based on location?

I remember riding with a friend in a non-tesla car, his camera probably thinkware was reminding regarding fixed speed-camera on road sides.