Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Too Slow after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible related data: I noticed that my navigation maps version updated, independent from the software release. From what I have read this is a pretty large file, and might have taken days to download if done at low priority or somesuch.

Now that it is updated, my video recording has become MUCH more reliable, although not perfect. I was getting a lot of “USB too slow”, and almost all my videos on the USB were unreadable. Now almost all the videos on the USB are readable. There is still some underlying problem, because I have always gotten a few videos showing up as unreadable, maybe 10%. But it is possible that this was made much worse by the slow maps download and update.

Here is a screenshot of the map version I have now (I have a 2018 MS with MCU1):
4C3FC1EB-D9D0-4004-BFF8-F00FC07A0BB0.jpeg

I've had issues running USB 3 sticks in USB 2 ports - a 2015 build vehicle but not Tesla.

Some times they worked, some times they didn't - not recognised when vehicle started - it was a relatively fast 64GB USB 3 Sandisk from reputable source. I replaced it with a cheap 32GB Toshiba USB 2 device and its been faultless.

Less is more?

I have a 64GB Sandisk Extreme Go USB 3.1 Flash Drive from Amazon (Amazon DCZ800-064G-G46). It's rated at up to 150MB/s. It's very fast. I've been using it January for the dashcam and when sentry mode recording came out for that too. Not one error about the drive being too slow.

But within one day of updating to 24.4 on a Model 3 I started getting the Dashcam too slow message and the dashcam stopped recording. Sentry mode also stopped recording to the flash drive.

I'm convinced it's a bug in the update software. This flash drive should be able to handle anything they want to throw at it for recording.
Now just hoping for a quick next update with a fix.....

We’re in a Model 3 forum but I’m seeing people with MSs posting here as well. Plus not everyone has put their car info in their signature...would be helpful to understand better what people are driving. Since so many are also problem free running the same software version, why is this specific to some vehicle owners and not others? Is there a commonality among them? It doesn’t really sound like it’s media related.

Shortly after upgrading to 24.4 my TM3 reported that my sentry USB device was full — I hadn't noticed. So I cleaned it up, and then started seeing “too slow” exceptions. After reformatting it on MacOS with diskutil eraseVolume fat32 it seems to be ok.

SanDisk 32GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive - SDCZ430-032G-G46

Would be nice if you could make it only save video when you press a button. Most of the recording is pointless, nothing happens. You can just manually trigger it when there is an accident, or if the car detects one.

Would be nice if you could make it only save video when you press a button. Most of the recording is pointless, nothing happens. You can just manually trigger it when there is an accident, or if the car detects one.

Lol suggest just being manual instead of the current alert state recording in Sentry Mode to the already countless owners who parked their car and came back to find it keyed, dented, scratched etc. and checked their “useless” TeslaCam footage to have video evidence of the damage occuring as well as who did it, leading in some cases to an arrest or at least not-owner fault insurance coverage to repair.

You already can manually depress save when there is an accident you see and want to save to video; and the car will already go into alert state recording mode if the car detects sufficient movement or sound of an event.

I have a 32 GB Sandisk USB 2.0 drive with an LED that shows activity on the drive. I videoed a few minutes. It flashes 6-16 times about one second on, one second off starting every minute. I doubt any USB 2.0 drive is too slow. I have had a few times that I have had to recover the drive a few times since dashcam became available on my Model 3.

After I got the error message I took out my SanDisk Extreme GO USB 3.1, 128gb. So I've been without a USB for the dash cam for about a week. I found a Staples brand USB 2.0, 16gb drive and plugged it in. So far, it seems to be working. Well, the saved clips play fine. The recent clips do not play and the file sizes are small.

Tesla Chat Support is totally useless on this problem..they keep saying is my USB problem which worked fine before this sw update. Telsa must know this is a problem with their latest sw update already since so many of us are having the same problem?

Autopilot warned me that it isn’t available again. Another disk error on my computer when I checked it again. I removed my USB splitter and plugged in my spare USB drive directly. Autopilot is back. Maybe the new software update isn’t compatible with using a splitter.

Here are my 2 cents and this worked for me.

Indeed Tesla did some changes, after this update it seems most USB sticks stopped working.

I tried different USBs with different "write" speeds varying from 5mbps to 20mbps and the results were inconsistent and most of them failed after some time. However, if you use a micro SD or SD card with a USB adapter the dashcam will work and actually it is very responsive.

For better results use an endurance card since your memory card will be written and overwritten multiple times.

Sorry you have to invest in a new memory - at least this is something we can fix ourselves. I just wished they fix the 24.4 freezing video bug

SOLUTION: I spoke with Tesla support and had a service appointment for this issue (overkill I know, but curious to see what they said). The Tesla rep reported that they had some information to suggest that the issue occurs with USB drives LARGER than 32GB. Seemed hard to believe that this was the issue, as I was using a very high write speed USB 3.1 solution previously. However, I bought the $9 Samsung MUF-32AB/AM FIT Plus 32GB drive on Amazon and is is working perfectly several days in (whereas I always got the alert within an hour previously). I'm holding on to my 128 GB USB drive in hopes that the next update solves the problem, but for $9 this was a good work around. Only problem is that the drive obviously fills up very quickly if using Sentry Mode. Hope this is helpful.

@Ebinezer thanks for the info! I just upgraded to a 256G USB a couple months ago because my drive was filling up so ridiculously quickly in sentry mode. I'll try dusting off my 32G drive and see if that fixes the problem.

btw I wish Tesla would just implement an option to automatically delete old files when the drive fills up. Then 32G would be plenty.

I just did some USB tests, and I'm eve more convinced this "USB too slow" error is a Tesla software bug. Which makes sense given what you heard from Tesla support; if drive size matters it's obviously not simply a write speed problem.

The dashcam files I get (Model 3) are 4.1 Mb/s per stream. So x3 camera views = 12.3 Mb/s total write bandwidth required.

I just tested my 256G USB 2.0 drive on Windows and it writes at 29 Mb/s, so more than twice the required bandwidth. And as simpler proof, before Tesla updated their software, it worked perfectly fine for dashcam at this exact same bitrate.

Finally, in my experience you can't really get USB 2.0 drives that write much faster than 30 Mb/s anyway. Most USB drives that claim higher speeds are quoting their USB 3.0 spec (the Model 3 ports are only USB 2.0 so that's irrelevant). So if dashcam is going to work at all, it kind of needs to fit in the real world USB 2.0 range, which I usually see described as < 20 Mb/s sustained write.