Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam questions (and intro)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings....first time Tesla owner, P100D is now about 2 weeks old and I absolutely love it. I'm reading as much as I possibly can and am learning my way around the car and the world of electric vehicles in general.

Tonight I'm experimenting with the dashcam. Formatted a sandisk cruzer 256gb flash drive and created the teslacam folder. Went out for a spin around the block, pulled the drive and looked at the files it created.

First thing I noticed was how many files were created on my short drive. Each video clip is 1 minute in length. Is that normal? Seems kind of odd, it means I'd possibly have to search through lots of clips to find what I wanted (assuming I didn't do a save).

The other thing I noticed is that the time/date stamps on the files are all off by +4 hours. Any way to change that?

In any case TIA for help on this question and all the hundreds of others I'll probably be asking.

Tom

Hey.

Yeah it’s normal. You should have two folders:

-Saved
-Recent

Recent will display one hours worth of footage, the last hour in one min videos the old files are overwritten so you always have an hour which will be 180 files with the latest version of software.

Saved will show a folder of each event saved be it you saving it by tapping on the dash cam icon or sentry saving it. Folder should have date/time to help to find the right one

In each of these folders you will again have one min video footage for a 10min window so 30files.

I don’t tend to save much footage myself so any saved files are sentry saves, from experience I’ve found that sentry will save the event, 8mins prior and 1min after so you don’t have to review all files I have found that looking at the footage for the 2nd to last min contains the event that triggered sentry for example:

12/04/19 12:00
12/04/19 12:01
12/04/19 12:02
12/04/19 12:03
12/04/19 12:04
12/04/19 12:05
12/04/19 12:06
12/04/19 12:07
12/04/19 12:08
12/04/19 12:09 - Trigger Event
12/04/19 12:10

Obviously you’ll have three of each of the above for the front, left and right repeater footage.

Hope that helps..

Not seen the time difference issue but suspect a setting somewhere for timezone?

• Informative
Reactions: ARMARM