Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam: Tesla built-in vs Vantrue external

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I got a Dashcam before Tesla started offering the built-in one, and decided to compare the video from both.

Here is a sample from the Tesla built-in dash cam:

And then the same drive using the Vantrue external dash cam:

I find that the Tesla "zoomed in" view (they use the distance camera for capture) cuts off a lot of useful scenery from the sides. The Vantrue camera is much more wide angle. On the other hand, if you want to see something going on way up ahead, the Tesla camera gives you more of a close-up on things in the distance.

I am going to do some more comparisons, like at night, and will post some more clips here.

Between the extreme zoom, and the flakiness of the Tesla DashCam (where it sometimes corrupts the flash drive), I plan to keep using the Vantrue when doing longer drives.

Reactions: redan and BobAbooey
Here is some night time with the built-in Tesla Dashcam:
(Notice the guy at :50 making a really aggressive set of lane changes in front of me...)

Here is some night time with the Vantrue:
(Aggressive lane change guy at 1:10)

In this case (at night) I can see how the Tesla zoom view has some benefit:
It is capturing within the headlight beams, where part of the Vantrue sides are in darkness.

Last edited:
Try to read license plates with the Vantrue at night....going to be quite difficult.
@MXWing also agrees this is also the case with a blackvue as well.
Tesla Dashcam:
Tesla Dashcam .jpg

Vantrue Dashcam:
Vantrue Dashcam .jpg

Last edited:
I believe its totally unfair to compare Tesla's dashcam with ANY other dashcam.

Reason?

All other Dashcams were created to be a Dashcam. That's their primary purpose.

Tesla's have cameras that they use for autopilot. That's their primary purpose.

What did Tesla do?

Tesla opened up their autopilot cameras' views to the public.

Some people use butter knives out of their drawers as screw drivers......but they aren't screw drivers.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing and Jedi2155
MXWing showed me his recently installed DR900S and it was still quite difficult to read plates at night due to overblown reflections compared to the Tesla's HDR capabilities. That being said, both have their uses (wide angle view for BlackVue is a huge plus).
I have both the DR750 and the DR900 on two separate cars, I will review night content and make a comparison later on.

@Jedi2155

The majority of plates I encounter are going to be gloss white. Was washed out and unreadable on the DR900S at night. :(

Think on the bright side, you have the wide angle to catch the issue and the Tesla cam to read the plate. Compared to any other car, you'd only have the dashcam. In reality though, plate reading is usually only useful during an accident. The real question is if the license image is still overblown when the suspect vehicle is right next to you.