Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Viewer Comments/Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to figure out/refresh my memory concerning a few things related to the Dashcam viewer. Here are some comments and questions.

Comment 1: To get to the sentry/dashcam viewer, make sure you are in Park and tap the Dashcam icon in the launcher:

Dashcam.jpeg

If you're in Drive, tapping that will save a Dashcam clip.

Question 1: That icon includes a red dot, which disappears when you open the viewer. Does that just mean that when you're using the viewer, it is not recording?

Comment 2: Note that when you open the viewer, it first shows the view from the cameras. You have to wait before you can look at saved clips.

Comment 3: The heading for the saved clips has the words "All Sentry Dashcam." When you select "All" you'd expect to see all the clips, but it seems that only the Sentry clips are there. That's because it's sorted by type first (Sentry clips then Dashcam clips), not anti-chronologically. If you scroll down, you'll see the Dashcam clips.

Question 2: Yesterday, I tapped the icon to save a clip. When viewing it, on the timeline/progress line below a playing clip, there's a red dot. That does not correspond to the point at which I tapped the icon. What does it correspond to?

The Dashcam Viewer has been buggy since day one and Tesla still hasn't fixed it. Often the red dot on my recording doesn't correspond with there the event triggered the recording. It also supposed to record the last 10 minutes of an event yet I get a lot of recordings that are anywhere from one minute to over 15 minutes. Often the recordings won't play to the end and just loop back or get stuck.

Not sure why Tesla still hasn't fixed it, but if the hardware can't support proper functionality then they shouldn't have implemented it. I don't want more games in my car, I want safety features like Dashcam and Sentry Mode to work perfectly. And for crying out loud Tesla, upgrade our cameras so the video quality is at least 1080P, the cameras are inexpensive now.

Re: Comment 3: IIRC it's working differently for me. Does it change after tapping Sentry?

Comment 4: It'd be best in full screen. Hide the digital twin car so the video is much larger and we'd see details.

Comment 5: It'd save time to be able to scrub quickly throughout the video or at least use high speed playback until you get to a section of interest.

I had to figure out/refresh my memory concerning a few things related to the Dashcam viewer. Here are some comments and questions.

Comment 1: To get to the sentry/dashcam viewer, make sure you are in Park and tap the Dashcam icon in the launcher:

View attachment 826265

If you're in Drive, tapping that will save a Dashcam clip.

Question 1: That icon includes a red dot, which disappears when you open the viewer. Does that just mean that when you're using the viewer, it is not recording?
In my experience when the viewer is on, it stops recording.
Comment 2: Note that when you open the viewer, it first shows the view from the cameras. You have to wait before you can look at saved clips.

Comment 3: The heading for the saved clips has the words "All Sentry Dashcam." When you select "All" you'd expect to see all the clips, but it seems that only the Sentry clips are there. That's because it's sorted by type first (Sentry clips then Dashcam clips), not anti-chronologically. If you scroll down, you'll see the Dashcam clips.

Question 2: Yesterday, I tapped the icon to save a clip. When viewing it, on the timeline/progress line below a playing clip, there's a red dot. That does not correspond to the point at which I tapped the icon. What does it correspond to?
Can't answer these questions. Personally for me, the dashcam viewer in the car is too slow, so I prefer to just safely unmount my card reader and view them in my computer (which is much faster).

In my experience when the viewer is on, it stops recording.

Can't answer these questions. Personally for me, the dashcam viewer in the car is too slow, so I prefer to just safely unmount my card reader and view them in my computer (which is much faster).

I’m trying to visualize this: You either take a laptop with you wherever you go in your car, or you bring your storage device into your house. Neither of those approaches seem particularly convenient to me. Also, when I get back to my car and see there are sentry view events, I really want to see, right then and there, what’s happened. Maybe a possible perpetrator is still nearby and can be apprehended…

I’m trying to visualize this: You either take a laptop with you wherever you go in your car, or you bring your storage device into your house. Neither of those approaches seem particularly convenient to me. Also, when I get back to my car and see there are sentry view events, I really want to see, right then and there, what’s happened. Maybe a possible perpetrator is still nearby and can be apprehended…
I take it into my house to view. It's still much faster than viewing in the car and I'm in the comfort of my home.

I don't usually use sentry however (due to vampire drain I have a separate camera system), only use it when my other system has run out of battery. I only review the footage (both dashcam and sentry) if I see something visible on my car (or something interesting I wanted to look back at), and digging through the footage on a computer to find the event is still far easier for this purpose. I haven't come up to a situation where I needed to view sentry immediately in the wild (only for longer term parking where any "perp" would have been long gone or I don't have the time, so no point in viewing it right at the car).

Last edited:
…excellent! I second that!!!