Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data based depreciation curve?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read a variety of forum threads about depreciation (e.g. low trade in offers from Tesla complaints etc) but I haven't found a data backed depreciation curve based on actual sale price numbers.

Does this exist for S60, S85, P85, 70D, 85D etc and anything else that comes along? (I know the later mentioned models are of course very new though)

I'd like a 70D but based on some of the complaints from current owners (sorry) perhaps I should be taking advantage of the depreciation hits people seem to be taking. Just would love some data to see it.

Personally, I think the problem is data reliability. Some people that buy and sell their vehicles like to promote their personally getting the best deal on social media and forums like this (because, who really is gonna check them beyond a rude comment or post that they can just ignore?), but as to if that is real and absolutely factual, well, only they know. Similarly, if one sells a vehicle like their Tesla, what is their incentive to stay on a forum like TMC if they've switched brands and respond with factual data to a thread or independent site like what you suggest? IMHO, the data is as problematic as using the traditional sites already out there vs. reality when you try to trade or sell your vehicle that may or may not truly result as good as what sites suggest are the market averages. Only the seller really knows for sure what is real or not. For me, websites and comments on social media and forums like TMC have become over the years only rough data points for consideration -- never anything that is truly analytical in how I can depend upon it.

Good luck with your pursuit.

The early formula Tesla used that I was told about was that
  • 1 month = $1,000 lost
  • 1 mile = $1 lost
  • Tax credit is instant depreciation (other credits also)
That obviously has to curve less severe or there would be free tesla's. Yet we have damaged ones, no warranty ones, and ones lacking major tech selling to desperate buyers for a LOT. Maybe someone does think a 4 year old luxury car with 80k miles is still worth 50% but that first dude is getting a way better deal than second dude. Tesla's low-end Model S are about to be laughably prehistoric once Model 3 comes IMO.