Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data in Tesla's recorder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tragic accident - Cobb County, GA

How is this data accessed by the authorities?

A Cobb County man who drove a Tesla 77 mph in heavy rain and caused a crash that killed a man and destroyed a bus shelter has been charged, according to police.

Demarco Montress Hill, 37, of Austell, was charged late last week with first-degree vehicular homicide and reckless driving in the September crash, his arrest warrant states.

According to investigators, Hill operated a 2020 Tesla Model 3 northbound on South Cobb Drive on Sept. 17 around 5:20 a.m. Data in the Tesla’s recorder showed it was going 77 mph at the time of the crash, the warrant states. The speed limit is 45 mph.

If I am responsible for a hit-and-run, and I've returned the car to my garage, then authorities would need a warrant to retrieve it as evidence.

But if I crash my car with it's crumpled form unable to move from the public sphere, it's fair game. I assume the same legal principle is what permits access to the car's data as well, but tbh, IANAL.

Cars today have black boxes that will snitch on you. Thirty seconds before up to collision the car will collect and preserve info like speed, how long it took for you to brake and how hard, steering wheel angle, yaw, and who knows what else.

Reactions: lUtriaNt