Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dawson Creek Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dawson Creek is at # 12 on 2023 Q1 polls. I didn’t expect so much support for a supercharger so high in the north. Is tesla finally going to realize that Alaska highway supercharging is something that many ppl want ?

As of now the gap is nearly 850 kms between Mile 80 Rest area ( a new BC hydro fast charger ) and Watson lake ( with free fast charging in Yukon upto Alaska border ) but Tesla supercharging all the way to Alaska will be amazing.

What’s are your thoughts ?

Dawson Creek is at # 12 on 2023 Q1 polls. I didn’t expect so much support for a supercharger so high in the north. Is tesla finally going to realize that Alaska highway supercharging is something that many ppl want ?

As of now the gap is nearly 850 kms between Mile 80 Rest area ( a new BC hydro fast charger ) and Watson lake ( with free fast charging in Yukon upto Alaska border ) but Tesla supercharging all the way to Alaska will be amazing.

I think Tesla realizes the demand for a route to Alaska. They need to find suitable grid locations with willing business partners. I think they’ll have it done in 2025.

I post these many times on X tagging Elon and @teslacharging.

I don’t think that’s particularly productive. They’re aware of the need.

If you know of any businesses along the route to Canada who would be interested in hosting a Supercharger, connecting them with Tesla would be helpful.

I think they’ll have it done in 2025.
I’m all for optimism on a supercharged route to AK, but I don’t think this is realistic. They might possibly, maybe, build Dawson creek in 2025, but no way they build all the way to AK in 2025. Too many long-remaining holes in the lower 48, unfortunately (Kayenta, Kalispell, Ely, Cody, okanogan, etc etc.) to believe they will connect AK any time soon.

I hope I’m wrong!

The biggest impediment along this stretch might be that almost all of that distance is off-grid (the exception being a small area around Fort Nelson). The route up Hwy 37 might be easier, the BC Hydro grid comes within about 340 km of Watson Lake along that route (with some BC Hydro service in Dease Lake by way of diesel generation). Certainly there are businesses along those highways with private generators but would Tesla want their chargers to be reliant on generators, either private ones or ones they install and maintain?

Reactions: Big Earl
The biggest impediment along this stretch might be that almost all of that distance is off-grid (the exception being a small area around Fort Nelson). The route up Hwy 37 might be easier, the BC Hydro grid comes within about 340 km of Watson Lake along that route (with some BC Hydro service in Dease Lake by way of diesel generation). Certainly there are businesses along those highways with private generators but would Tesla want their chargers to be reliant on generators, either private ones or ones they install and maintain?
There is a charging company in Australia that uses solar and battery back up with their DCFC in an off grid station, it also has a diesel generator just incase. Also Tesla uses power wall for their remote Tesla supercharger in China. They could probably use solar, wind and power wall for their off grid places in BC or even a Megapack which is very expensive. 4 or 6 stall might suffice and a L2 backup.

Update: Plugshare now shows BC hydro locations Fast chargers for multiple locations on the Alaska highway and the Highway 37. So most probably these chargers are going to be free ( due to lack of internet ) and you can basically a drive to Alaska for free as Yukon fast chargers also free.

Woohoo ..

What’s your next reason to not buy an EV ?

"If unable to connect, please clear the snow off the dishy."
I use to work on VSAT stuff and often times we would just have to tell customers that unless they had someone that could drive to the remote site, they just had to wait until the blizzard let up and the dish heaters could catch up. As these are co-located at business, I imagine that cleaning sat dishes is just normal for them, so shouldn't be a problem to clean one more dish, or just share an internet connection.

We shouldn't get too excited about any of these sites unless BC hydro decides to run them off of diesel. Both Wonowon and Prophet river only have single phase power (as of Aug 2022 streetview), Toad river has an existing diesel generator, but I don't see anything at all at Jade city. Dease Lake has a connection to a small hydro project, but they still run the diesel generator.

The only project in the pipeline I see to change any of this is to Wonowon, but no indication that any work has started.

We shouldn't get too excited about any of these sites unless BC hydro decides to run them off of diesel. Both Wonowon and Prophet river only have single phase power (as of Aug 2022 streetview), Toad river has an existing diesel generator, but I don't see anything at all at Jade city. Dease Lake has a connection to a small hydro project, but they still run the diesel generator.

The only project in the pipeline I see to change any of this is to Wonowon, but no indication that any work has started.
It seems that BCH has diesel generation at Good Hope Lake, about 20 km east of Jade City. I don't know if there is a distribution line over to Jade City.

There are similar posts about Alaska Hwy and Cassiar charging on the Western Canada Supercharger thread on TMC. Moderators can decide if this discussion should go somewhere else since it doesn't directly relate to Superchargers (although the audience might be the same).