Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alaska Highway Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a little disappointed there wasn't an early April update this year, but poking around on Plugshare reveals that there are two brand new FLO CCS/CHAdeMO chargers in Beaver Creek and Burwash Landing, YK. This means that the AlCan is pretty drivable westward from Watson Lake, with the biggest gap between fast chargers being the 217 miles from Beaver Creek to Delta Junction. The section between Fort St. John and Watson Lake is still a fast charging desert, though. BC needs to step up their game!

I have written before how the Beaver-Burwash span is critical; this includes its distance, remoteness and poor quality of the road. FtSJ to WatsonLk is indeed important, but it snags only one of those factors: length. Also, however, is that for several reasons - shorter distance and blessedly easy access to BCHydro's ultra-large transmission lines along its length (who'd-a-thunk just a dozen years ago!?!) - the Cassiar Hwy bypasses that weak spot and, in my opinion, should be at least as strongly considered both by Tesla and BCHydro.

I have written before how the Beaver-Burwash span is critical; this includes its distance, remoteness and poor quality of the road. FtSJ to WatsonLk is indeed important, but it snags only one of those factors: length. Also, however, is that for several reasons - shorter distance and blessedly easy access to BCHydro's ultra-large transmission lines along its length (who'd-a-thunk just a dozen years ago!?!) - the Cassiar Hwy bypasses that weak spot and, in my opinion, should be at least as strongly considered both by Tesla and BCHydro.

Agreed, but I was largely just focusing on the AlCan proper. Getting both the AlCan and the Cassiar Highway supercharged would be amazing. I do appreciate your perspective and experience.

Reactions: gillfoto and IdaX
Musing over plugshare today, shows a couple of new DCFCs of interest that are under construction in BC. On the Cassiar, Meziadin Junction: Meziadin Junction (Coming Soon) | Stewart, BC | EV Station. There are ~587 km (~365 miles) between it and Watson Lake. So some low speed charging is still required. If they then put one in Iskut (e.g., the end of the Northern Transmission Line), it would shrink the long leg distance to Watson Lake to ~340 km (~211 miles). A distance many/most modern EVs can do.

On Highway 97 just north of Fort St John, Montney: Mile 80 Rest Stop (Coming Soon) | BC-97, Montney, BC V0C 1Y0, Canada | EV Station. There are ~840 km (~522 miles) from it to the Watson Lake DCFC. They really need one in Fort Nelson. Fort Nelson has decent local generating capability, plus is apparently connected to the Alberta electrical grid. That would shrink the long leg to ~512 km (~318 miles).

Last edited:
Musing over plugshare today, shows a couple of new DCFCs of interest that are under construction in BC. On the Cassiar, Meziadin Junction: Meziadin Junction (Coming Soon) | Stewart, BC | EV Station. There are ~587 km (~365 miles) between it and Watson Lake. So some low speed charging is still required. If they then put one in Iskut (e.g., the end of the Northern Transmission Line), it would shrink the long leg distance to Watson Lake to ~340 km (~211 miles). A distance many/most modern EVs can do.

On Highway 97 just north of Fort St John, Montney: Mile 80 Rest Stop (Coming Soon) | BC-97, Montney, BC V0C 1Y0, Canada | EV Station. There are ~840 km (~522 miles) from it to the Watson Lake DCFC. They really need one in Fort Nelson. Fort Nelson has decent local generating capability, plus is apparently connected to the Alberta electrical grid. That would shrink the long leg to ~512 km (~318 miles).
I had no problem making it from Iskut to Watson Lake in my Model 3LR. I think @IdaX was even able to do it in a Model X with a fully loaded car. So a charging station in Iskut would be great to make Cassiar very doable for most Tesla people.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and wws
@Tacoma Dave : how did you get to Iskut in the first place? I’ve driven the Cassiar almost as many times as the AK Hwy. I’d wince at having to jump from Meziadin to Iskut, particularly in anything but the few weeks of high summer. One really needs a charge either at Bell 2 or at that mine operation whose airstrip is right alongside the west edge of the highway…can’t think of the name of it offhand but I believe it’s the oldest active operation along the road.
Most unfortunately for the very nice lodge at Bell 2, BCHydro would not run a drop from their big line the extremely short distance to them; it’s heinous they remain captive to running their own big diesel generator. I have tried to cheer them up by suggesting possibly Tesla has enough pull with BCH that they could persuade them of doing so, but I have stopped holding my breath regarding any such long since.
After Iskut, and Dease Lake, the only reasonable location is Cassiar’s toehold on the Highway, that amusing tourist stop of Jade City. I cannot see, however, enough electricity being available there to do the job.
At least once one arrived at the junction of the AK Hwy, one should not need to backtrack east into Watson Lake the ~10-12 miles (each way) to charge. Power runs right to the small locus at the intersection, called….errr, something.

Reactions: IdaX and gillfoto
@Tacoma Dave : how did you get to Iskut in the first place? I’ve driven the Cassiar almost as many times as the AK Hwy. I’d wince at having to jump from Meziadin to Iskut, particularly in anything but the few weeks of high summer. One really needs a charge either at Bell 2 or at that mine operation whose airstrip is right alongside the west edge of the highway…can’t think of the name of it offhand but I believe it’s the oldest active operation along the road.
Most unfortunately for the very nice lodge at Bell 2, BCHydro would not run a drop from their big line the extremely short distance to them; it’s heinous they remain captive to running their own big diesel generator. I have tried to cheer them up by suggesting possibly Tesla has enough pull with BCH that they could persuade them of doing so, but I have stopped holding my breath regarding any such long since.
After Iskut, and Dease Lake, the only reasonable location is Cassiar’s toehold on the Highway, that amusing tourist stop of Jade City. I cannot see, however, enough electricity being available there to do the job.
At least once one arrived at the junction of the AK Hwy, one should not need to backtrack east into Watson Lake the ~10-12 miles (each way) to charge. Power runs right to the small locus at the intersection, called….errr, something.
I charged at New Hazelton the night before, then topped off at the rest area near the turn-off for Cassiar. From there I drove to Red Goat Lodge, just a few miles away from Iskut, where I charged overnight using their 14-30 outlet. While that section of the drive definitely was the most taxing on range, it is very doable in a Model 3LR- I did it with brand new all season tires and a heavily loaded car. Meziadin to Iskut should be no problem for pretty much any Tesla except in winter- it is only 154 miles (248 km).
I agree that it would be convenient not to have to back track to Watson Lake, but if you have to back track, Watson Lake isn't a bad place to back track to. There are decent amenities and a few things to do. It definitely feels like a return to civilization after spending a couple of days on the Cassiar.
The details of my trip and the trip taken by @IdaX can be found at: Alaska Tesla Adventure!

• Love
Reactions: IdaX
So, is it somewhat an open question as to whether the Alcan or the Cassiar gets fully electrified first? Obviously guessing the former but, with the progress BC is making on both fronts, maybe the race is on?? Now if only AK would get their act together and build out more than just the Anchorage to Fairbanks route in any reasonable timeframe… https://www.akenergyauthority.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=cSsF3xKeT30%3d&portalid=0

Reactions: IdaX
Looks like BC Hydro are starting to build a bunch of 50kw chargers on Highways 37 and 97 in northern BC- they are filling in the gap!
Screenshot_20240125_081805_PlugShare.jpg

Dease Lake, Cassiar and Toad River - these three definitely count as remote. And whichever wide spot in the road is that one south of Ft. Nelson - Pink Mt, Sikanni Chief or else - I’m calling this as good progress indeed!

Reactions: J569
Given that Iskut is at the northern end of the BC grid, I'm surprised it isn't one of the new locations.
From the BC Hydro map, it looks like the transmission line south from Iskut (Eddontenajon) is either a 230 kV or 287 kV line. Perhaps not easily stepped down to a lower voltage without an expensive substation? However there is apparently a 1.7MW diesel generator at Eddontenajon operated by BCH.

From the BC Hydro map, it looks like the transmission line south from Iskut (Eddontenajon) is either a 230 kV or 287 kV line. Perhaps not easily stepped down to a lower voltage without an expensive substation? However there is apparently a 1.7MW diesel generator at Eddontenajon operated by BCH.

One would hope there is a substation at/near the end of the line. Otherwise, why bother building the line in the first place?

I used a 150kW Freewire battery-supported charger the other day in 0F temperatures and only pulled about 15kW (yes, my battery was preconditioned). This makes me wonder how 50kW chargers on the Alcan-Cassiar would perform in similar weather? Do all of these proposed BC sites have 3-Phase power in place to avoid battery-supplemented chargers?

• Informative
Reactions: J569