Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daytime headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed of the other model y’s in my area during the day that the headlights are not on during the day when driving on the road
I see where I could turn lights to off but why would someone do that are they trying to increase range and would it really make a difference

20223 Model Y Long Range

Would it make a difference for range? Technically yes. But is it worth it? Probably not.

I mean, the purpose of DRLs is not for yourself, but for others to see you, in the hopes of lessening the chances of them hitting you or getting hit by you (pulling out of a driveway or something).

So, people are basically weighing the tiny range gained from turning off DRLs vs their safety.

Some people don’t like auto headlights for some reason 🤷🏻‍♂️
I consider auto-headlights different from DRLs, though I’d still use both. Auto-lights is great cause I’m lazy.

The only time I dislike them is when people have them… or think they have them but drive with their headlights off in the dark, with just the DRLs going. Are they thinking the DRLs are their headlights…? The people with no lights whatsoever is another story. Super sus.

I consider auto-headlights different from DRLs, though I’d still use both. Auto-lights is great cause I’m lazy.

The only pet peeve is if you bring your car to service and they turn them off without turning them back or telling you. Unless one checks, some people may not realize it until later.

I haven't experienced this with Tesla, but when I had Toyota and Lexus, most of the time!

Some countries (eg Canada) the DRLs remain on even if lights are set to off.

In Canada, the regulations require that DRLs to be on without the ability for the driver to turn them off.

The rule have been refined since 2021 with requiring to have one of the following:

- Tail lights that come on automatically with daytime running lights
- Headlights, tail lights, and side marker lights that turn on automatically in the dark
- A dashboard that stays dark to alert the driver to turn on the lights

I have noticed of the other model y’s in my area during the day that the headlights are not on during the day when driving on the road
I see where I could turn lights to off but why would someone do that are they trying to increase range and would it really make a difference

20223 Model Y Long Range
So you keep your headlights on, no matter the time of day...why? I always have mine off during the day.

So you keep your headlights on, no matter the time of day...why? I always have mine off during the day.
Driving through tunnel, shade, parallel to sun angle, etc.

It can help other people, even if negligibly, and it doesnt harm anything. LED costs almost nothing in battery so i dont see why some hate such a thing against DRL or the concept of having headlights on.

Driving through tunnel, shade, parallel to sun angle, etc.

It can help other people, even if negligibly, and it doesnt harm anything. LED costs almost nothing in battery so i dont see why some hate such a thing against DRL or the concept of having headlights on.
I wasn't talking about DRL, I was talking about why someone would question others for not having their headlights on during the day. DRL have been required on new vehicles for a very long time now, so there is no reason to have headlights on during the day unless legally required to do so in certain conditions. But yeah, I don't have an issue with using auto headlights.

I stand corrected. But they do make sense and I have to wonder then why the auto industry adopted them, since they rarely implement safety changes unless required to by law.
They make sense to me also. DRL was required in Scandinavian countries in the 1970's, the EU in 2012. They were banned in the USA until General Motors asked for an exception in the 1990's. Now, they are commonplace.............but not required everywhere.

The industry will implement a change when they think there is a market for it. Seat belts were included in some vehicles before it was mandatory. Many manufacturer's have gone above and beyond airbag requirements over the years. Safety sells in some places and to some people, but not for all. Young, bullet proof folks without a lot of money are a hard sale on safety sometimes.