Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: New Model Y? Adjust your headlights!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mid-December model Y purchase. Found that the headlights, as delivered from the factory, were set 6 clicks too high. I have noticed a lot of new looking MYs also aiming for the sky. The headlights have a very narrow bright field. Set too high, or too low and you reduce your range. If set too high, you are also, blinding people.

Help make the roads safe by setting the headlights correctly. It is easy to do, as the adjustment performed from the screen.

One how-to, among many:
(not mine)

I went down 5-7 clicks on both of mine as well. Both of my friends' MYPs were also blinding people after they bought them.

It's a shame these aren't properly aligned at the factory. In many European countries, headlight alignment is part of the yearly inspection services - you can fail if the headlights aren't set correctly. And the shops all have the proper equipment to align everything to spec.

I wish there were some kind of numbers or angle showing for each click so the left and right would be the same angle. I set mine 133 clicks from the bottom for each left and right beam.
The number would be meaningful if both lights were identical in physical orientation.

You can also allow the light on the non-drive side to extend a little farther because theres less risk of blinding driver in opposite direction.

This in-car adjustment of the lights is an underrated feature. I readjust mine periodically, and not using strict references but just ballparking based on the visible beam vs other car seen on the road

The linked video is helpful but may also be confusing and misleading to the North American members on this forum. In North America, headlights are aimed level, not with a 1% downward inclination as is the requirement in the EU.

There are specific procedures for two different headlight designs of the Model Y: Global and NA
There are specific procedures for four different headlight designs of the Model 3: Global, NA, EAMA, and Highland.

Read the service manual and adjust your specific headlights in accordance with it. I think it was a terrible idea to give customers in cabin access to headlight adjustment without an educational warning or any training provided to ensure they have slightest clue how to do it correctly. Headlight adjustment access belongs under the hood. Anybody too lazy to open the hood is probably also too lazy to RTFM. The legacy way kept the clueless at bay.