Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daytime Running Lights Mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quick search found these http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Audi-Style-LED-Daytime-Running-Lights-p/led_audi_drl_sku77.htm

LED-DRL-Lamp-020.jpg

Yep, another one of those highly anticipated upgrades (This one was back in the Big Brake Tesla upgrade days which never fruited) that were targeted for the Roadster owners which only a few Telsa engineers/employees/friends were lucky enough got their hands on since Tesla allowed them to unfortunately fizzle away.

I liked that spoiler/running light upgrade, it looks clean, unique and fits the 1.5's. I'd just add a full wrap-around functioning splitter and it would be complete.

Like the box tape mounting system in the orange Roadster pics :)

Viewing those pics, someone could make / design just the end puck pieces that hold the running lights and there'd be no need for a full front spoiler package, although it looks cleaner.

Another way to go would be to integrate a full LED strip along the entire front/bottom of the front diffuser, throw in the white LED strip as well as a full amber. I'd run them inside/into the spoiler for a nice look. With both LEDs, you'd be set for fog and night time driving conditions. It also would wrap around, so in essence you'd have a nice wide spectrum of light from the side, front and side views as the driver.

Last edited:
Guilty

I made a few variations of this idea. The white car is the original concept, using a 10W LED lamp they were a great driving light. You can actually see at night while driving a roadster. I would need to make new molds to do this again.

If there was interest, I could do a group buy and build whatever is needed. Having molds is around $3500.00 unless I made them myself again. So unfortunately I would need to sell the original design for $2800 and the single for $3200 to make any money. The LED lamp shown is around $350 and the cost of a new carbon fiber pod is around $750.00. All of this is labor intensive, and I have to custom make a harness for the lights.

Obviously it would be less as I sold more. Never actually thought about doing this again. If there is interest let me know.

The red car is vin 320 the original brick. I appreciated borrowing 181 to fit the one piece.

car-bumper.jpg
IMG_1515.JPG
IMG_1516.JPG
I also learned recently about Carl Medlock's front spoiler DRLs:

View attachment 106183
View attachment 106184
View attachment 106185

Creative touch.

Now you need to change out the ugly yellow parking lights :) I replaced mine with the LED which matches the color of my HID headlights better. Let it be known it takes a very small LED bulb, you can't just pick any one off the shelf. They're too big usually and won't fit inside the housing.

Thanks. Do you mean the ones in the fender? I agree. They should be LEDs and they should be repeaters.

What bulb did you use?

Last edited:
Thanks. Do you mean the ones in the fender? I agree. They should be LEDs and they should be repeaters.

What bulb did you use?

No not the sides (marker lights), the small ones in the headlight assembly next to the amber turn signal, those are the parking lights. I have no need to switch out the sides, they look fine and no damage prevention or cosmetic benefits result from it. Yes they should have been LED from the start and it would be nice if they had blinker functionality. Actually I wish American sold cars had the European side markers. Makes too much sense I guess.... Another reason to change the parking lights to LED is that if you use your parking lights / headlights most of the time as I do, even during the day, then you risk melting the plastic clear covering the bulb for that parking light from heat of the bulb. The parking lights build up too much heat and its a very small non-ventilated space. I melted one and have a friend with a Roadster who melted his. And you can't buy just that covering either, you need a whole new headlight assembly unless you get lucky finding it on ebay. But if you have the Tesla HIDs, the covering is different than the stock halogen type.

I'll try to find the link / thread on TMC that discusses changing out most of the lights to LEDs.

Found the link. The JDM is the correct size, I think they called it a T10 bulb. And they're nice when they work. However these bulbs by that company / seller have a VERY HIGH failure rate. Out of 6 bulbs I've had 3 of them fail on me. I emailed the seller and said their bulb was defective. They then told me not to buy from them again since I'm causing their failure numbers / rate to look bad. How's that for a company! Rather than fix it they say stop buying them so they appear better than they are. The thing that I liked about those bulbs is that the front and sides had LEDS. The bulb goes in sideways/crooked so a straight facing LED does not really work here and may look odd and will be shooting light in weird directions. Here's the link:

Replacing incandescent bulbs with cool LED alternatives? - Page 5

Last edited: