Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daytime Running Lights - Model Y imported from USA to Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have imported a Model Y from USA to Canada. Everything went smoothly except the car has failed the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) inspection due to the ability to turn off the daytime running lights.

I have seen one other poster on this website say he had the same problem, but it was resolved. I am unable to add to that thread so I am asking the following:

Has anyone else imported a car from the USA into Canada and had problems passing the RIV inspection due to the DRLs? If it was resolved via a software update, which service center did you use?

I have called two local service centers and they claim they have no idea how to resolve this. Their suggestion was to call 1-800 Tesla. I called them and they said they have no idea, contact my local service center.

If I can’t get this resolved, I will be forced to re-export the car to the USA and sell it there.

I am new to this site and I don’t see a Canada section. Can you provide a link or more details?

The Canada specific subforum is here:

@KMC_307 did provide a link in their post to the thread they mentioned. Click the words "daytime running lights" in their post.

Upvote 0
I have imported a Model Y from USA to Canada. Everything went smoothly except the car has failed the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) inspection due to the ability to turn off the daytime running lights.

I have seen one other poster on this website say he had the same problem, but it was resolved. I am unable to add to that thread so I am asking the following:

Has anyone else imported a car from the USA into Canada and had problems passing the RIV inspection due to the DRLs? If it was resolved via a software update, which service center did you use?

I have called two local service centers and they claim they have no idea how to resolve this. Their suggestion was to call 1-800 Tesla. I called them and they said they have no idea, contact my local service center.

If I can’t get this resolved, I will be forced to re-export the car to the USA and sell it there.
Did you find a solution. My daughter is moving to Calgary and bringing her 2023 model y.

Upvote 0
Did you find a solution. My daughter is moving to Calgary and bringing her 2023 model y.
I finally found the solution. According to the Service Center that resolved the problem, Model Ys made prior to June 2020 had country-specific headlights, and after that date a global headlight system was used. My car, produced in May was not properly responding to the commands because it had the older headlight system. Once this was figured out it took only a few minutes to push a software fix. If the car was produced after June 2020, you should not have this problem.

Upvote 0
Hello, thinking of importing one as well. Any other issues you came across? What state did you buy from? Will Tesla honor the warranty?
That was the only problem, and it depends on the date your car was manufactured. Mine was before May 2020 (VIN Le’s than 6000) so not many cars will have this problem. The car came from California. As far as the Warranty goes, I still have a few months according to the app but I have not yet sought warranty service.

Upvote 0
Good to know. That software fix did you have to go to the sc or did they do it ota?
It was done through an OTA update. I had to email a video of the car moving forward and backwards with the DTRL off while Tesla monitored the car to prove that the lights were not on. It probably would have been easier to have it towed to the service center. I could not drive it there as I had no insurance or plates.

Again, this would only be an issue for you if the VIN is around 6000 or less.

Upvote 0
It was done through an OTA update. I had to email a video of the car moving forward and backwards with the DTRL off while Tesla monitored the car to prove that the lights were not on. It probably would have been easier to have it towed to the service center. I could not drive it there as I had no insurance or plates.

Again, this would only be an issue for you if the VIN is around 6000 or less.
Hey Gordon,

How long did it take after the OTA software update for the DRL to stay on ? Do you know what update they did ? I’m going through the same issue. Talked with Tesla support and the dealer, they updated to software to Canadian specs but still no DRL when headlight off is off. It has been roughly 24hrs since they pushed the supposed software and Canadian configuration update.

Upvote 0
Hey Gordon,

How long did it take after the OTA software update for the DRL to stay on ? Do you know what update they did ? I’m going through the same issue. Talked with Tesla support and the dealer, they updated to software to Canadian specs but still no DRL when headlight off is off. It has been roughly 24hrs since they pushed the supposed software and Canadian configuration update.
It took about 30 minutes. I already had the “Canadian” version of the software. This was a specific software update for cars with a specific version of the headlight system. My problem only applies to Model Y’s manufactured before mid-June of 2020. What was the date of manufacture of your model Y?

Upvote 0
My model is a 2022. It was manufactured 07/22. I spoke with the Tesla dealer again, and they mentioned that once the vehicle is in Canada, the operating system will identify the region, and then only will the daytime running lights always be on even when the headlight switch is off. It is day 2 and still not DRL on when the light switch is off.

Do you have any contacts you can recommend at the Tesla dealer you used ?

Upvote 0
My model is a 2022. It was manufactured 07/22. I spoke with the Tesla dealer again, and they mentioned that once the vehicle is in Canada, the operating system will identify the region, and then only will the daytime running lights always be on even when the headlight switch is off. It is day 2 and still not DRL on when the light switch is off.

Do you have any contacts you can recommend at the Tesla dealer you used ?
If yours is a 2022 then it has the “global headlight system”, so it’s not the same problem that I had. I am in Ottawa. There are three service centers. The one in Barrhaven told me that since I didn’t buy the car from them, it’s not their problem and I should sell the car and buy a Canadian one. The service agent at the Carling Ave Tesla Center was the one who figured out my problem and was able to get a solution. Took him about an hour to figure out the problem and about 30 minutes to push the update. I recommend calling the Tesla Service Center on Carling Ave in Ottawa. He did everything remotely. I didn’t have to bring him the car.

Upvote 0
Hi, Going through the this forum is immensely helpful with lot of information. Could any of you please direct me to a thread that has step-by-step instructions for importing my 2022 Model 3 from the USA to Canada? I searched for threads and found this Importing M3 from US to Canada. I found a few other threads on DRL issue after importing.

Can I import the car by myself or do I have to go through the broker? Any help would be immensely appreciated.
I will be relocating to Ottawa. do I have to pay any taxes to Ontario before registering?

Thanks in advance for you help

Upvote 0
Hi, Going through the this forum is immensely helpful with lot of information. Could any of you please direct me to a thread that has step-by-step instructions for importing my 2022 Model 3 from the USA to Canada? I searched for threads and found this Importing M3 from US to Canada. I found a few other threads on DRL issue after importing.

Can I import the car by myself or do I have to go through the broker? Any help would be immensely appreciated.
I will be relocating to Ottawa. do I have to pay any taxes to Ontario before registering?

Thanks in advance for you help
Yes, you can do it yourself, if you want, but I used a broker. It is easy to import the car into Canada. The harder part is getting the USA export permit. You have to notify the port of exit 48 hours before you get the car to the border. You also have to register on the Canada side in advance (Registrar of Imported Vehicles). You have to pay the GST when the car crosses the border. The GST is based on the selling price or the “blue book” value, whichever is HIGHER.

For all of this, I found it was easier to used a customs broker, but I was also having the car shipped from California, so contracting someone to do it made more sense to me. If I was driving across myself, and I had unlimited time and nothing to do, I may have tried it myself, as many people have. I just didn’t want to invest the time.

Once in Canada (I also live in Ottawa), you have to get a provincial safety inspection, and an RIV inspection. Canadian Tire is the only place in the Ottawa area that can do the RIV inspection, so they did both. The RIV inspection was free. Then to get the Ontario plates, you have to pay for the plate plus Provincial Sales Tax, also on the higher of the selling price or the blue book value.

I ran into a problem with the DRL (detailed above), so it took a few months to get through the whole process. You only have 30 days to get the RIV inspection, but when I explained my unique issue the gave me 30 day extensions, twice.

Good luck

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Will Tesla honor the warranty?
Yes, as you are keeping it in the "home market."

1711914507496.png

Upvote 0
Yes, you can do it yourself, if you want, but I used a broker. It is easy to import the car into Canada. The harder part is getting the USA export permit. You have to notify the port of exit 48 hours before you get the car to the border. You also have to register on the Canada side in advance (Registrar of Imported Vehicles). You have to pay the GST when the car crosses the border. The GST is based on the selling price or the “blue book” value, whichever is HIGHER.

For all of this, I found it was easier to used a customs broker, but I was also having the car shipped from California, so contracting someone to do it made more sense to me. If I was driving across myself, and I had unlimited time and nothing to do, I may have tried it myself, as many people have. I just didn’t want to invest the time.

Once in Canada (I also live in Ottawa), you have to get a provincial safety inspection, and an RIV inspection. Canadian Tire is the only place in the Ottawa area that can do the RIV inspection, so they did both. The RIV inspection was free. Then to get the Ontario plates, you have to pay for the plate plus Provincial Sales Tax, also on the higher of the selling price or the blue book value.

I ran into a problem with the DRL (detailed above), so it took a few months to get through the whole process. You only have 30 days to get the RIV inspection, but when I explained my unique issue the gave me 30 day extensions, twice.

Good luck
Gordon,

So to confirm, when the vehicle is in drive and the headlights are set to the off position , your daytime running lights are still on ?.. Can you provide us with what software #’s you are currently running on your Tesla ? Just attach a photo if possible.

Upvote 0