Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC Sales Tax/Excise Tax Confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!

I’m placing an order for a Model X on Wednesday and I’m a bit confused about the Sales Tax/Excise Tax situation for DC residents.

First, excluding title registration, fees etc., am I going to pay a sales tax and an excise tax? Or are sales and excise tax different names for the same tax? As I understand it, DC has a Excise tax exemption for EV’s so does that mean I don’t pay sales tax on the purchase?

Any DC residents out there that might shed some light on the subject?

Thanks!

I believe it’s similar to Virginia where we pay a tax that looks like Sales Tax (4 and something %) but isn’t. And we don’t pay Sales tax on automobile purchases. This is the same for DC. And since EVs and Hybrids are exempt, yes, you don’t pay it in DC at all.

Wish VA was as forward thinking to encourage adoption!

I believe it’s similar to Virginia where we pay a tax that looks like Sales Tax (4 and something %) but isn’t. And we don’t pay Sales tax on automobile purchases. This is the same for DC. And since EVs and Hybrids are exempt, yes, you don’t pay it in DC at all.

Wish VA was as forward thinking to encourage adoption!
DC is in many ways forward looking, but backwards in others. Don't get me started on how small business owners are put through the wringer.

Reactions: GOPJEW