Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DCC-10 Box Install With Nema 14-50 Outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

My friend installed the DCC-10 Box with the Nema 14-50 outlet without a neutral wire. He said since only the EV Mobile charger will be plugged into the outlet and nothing else (which the DCC-10 company recommends), a neutral wire is not needed. The Mobile charger is working fine with the DCC-10 now after the install, but I just wanted to ask if this is a safe setup without a neutral wire. I have come across threads where people have mentioned to install it with a neutral wire, but people have had different setups(without the DCC-10 Box) - so I just wanted to reach out here.

Link to information about the DCC-10 Box: DCC-10 Avoids Major Home Electrical Upgrades for an EV Charging Installation

JEEZ! I am about to be pretty blunt.
My friend installed the DCC-10 Box with the Nema 14-50 outlet without a neutral wire.
Why?!?! Have you slapped this friend upside the back of the head yet? I hope he installed this in his house instead of your house.
He said since only the EV Mobile charger will be plugged into the outlet and nothing else (which the DCC-10 company recommends), a neutral wire is not needed.
Grrrrr. This friend intentionally installed something wrong and dangerous and a code violation, but just gave the excuse that if the outlet is only used in this certain limited way, then it shouldn't be a problem. He is unfortunately correct in a limited way, that EV charging equipment will not try to use the neutral.
The Mobile charger is working fine with the DCC-10 now after the install, but I just wanted to ask if this is a safe setup without a neutral wire.
That device is fine, but it is dangerous to have a 14-XX type of outlet with a missing neutral in case someone decides to plug something else into it. It's a 14-50 outlet, so suppose someone plugs an RV into that. Do you know what happens with regular 120V appliances in that RV? It can cause sparks and fires from voltage spikes and destroying those things.
I have come across threads where people have mentioned to install it with a neutral wire, but people have had different setups(without the DCC-10 Box) - so I just wanted to reach out here.
No one should install a 14-XX type of outlet with a missing neutral, ever.
At the very least, I don't imagine it's up to code. If running the neutral would add significant cost, a NEMA 6-50 outlet should be used instead, and the appropriate mobile connector adaptor should be purchased.
This. If you don't have a neutral, you don't ^%&@ around with using the wrong outlet type. You install an appropriate outlet type that is not supposed to have a neutral.

Reactions: Hebert and CyberGus
I agree with mxnym. Since the inclusion of the DCC-10 renders the circuit for EV use only, why not just hardwire the EVSE and forget about any type of receptacle. A Tesla wall charger will require this since there is no plug ended wall charger from Tesla. As stated above, if there is a need for a receptacle use one that does not imply a neutral wire is terminated, such as the NEMA 6-50, and breaker at 50 Amps.

Reactions: Genie and Rocky_H