Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealership actually owns the model x?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your thorough reply.
The 1st owner of this car drove 1100 miles for 11 month and it was a lease.
The 2nd owner of this car is the owner of the dealership and they drove few hundred miles.

I actually asked the dealer and they replied to me saying that the Section 179 is exactly why they purchased that car and used it very lightly.
That’s exactly what I suspected; the dealer simply used the X to defer his tax liability from 2019 to 2020 (one year delay thanks to Section 179). The original owner evidently used the X as his/her garage queen, plus the $7500 tax credit. So this X has quite the history of keeping its owners happy for very different purposes. Now the question to future owner #3 is “What do you want X to do for you?” o_O If the Monroney was $100k, is it now discounted appropriately as a 2-owner, tax credit taken EV? Without knowing any specifics about this X’s options and condition, I’d expect it to have at least a 20-25% discount off the MSRP, IMHO. Otherwise, I’d buy directly from TESLA or an original owner.

That’s exactly what I suspected; the dealer simply used the X to defer his tax liability from 2019 to 2020 (one year delay thanks to Section 179). The original owner evidently used the X as his/her garage queen, plus the $7500 tax credit. So this X has quite the history of keeping its owners happy for very different purposes. Now the question to future owner #3 is “What do you want X to do for you?” o_O If the Monroney was $100k, is it now discounted appropriately as a 2-owner, tax credit taken EV? Without knowing any specifics about this X’s options and condition, I’d expect it to have at least a 20-25% discount off the MSRP, IMHO. Otherwise, I’d buy directly from TESLA or an original owner.

The dealer deleted the car from their inventory for some reasons I don't know so I cannot show you the spec. They claimed the car has all options.

I have confirmed the following ones:

1. Pearl White exterior and interior
2. 20inch wheel
3. AP 2.0, FSD, High Fidelity Sound, SubZero, Premium Package
4. mileage is about 2500
5. Its made in 2017 May

Original Price 160k+
Dealer is asking for 115K

The car seems really new from the picture, it is probably new given the mileage.
This seems like a good deal...

The dealer deleted the car from their inventory for some reasons I don't know so I cannot show you the spec. They claimed the car has all options.

2. 20inch wheel
4. mileage is about 2500
5. Its made in 2017 May

Original Price 160k+

The car seems really new from the picture, it is probably new given the mileage.
Not many 4th owners will ever consider buying an X for over $100,000 when they can’t buy TESLA’s extended warranty in three more years (when this X hits either 4 years or 50k miles). So as owner #3, you’d need to be certain you’re ready to own this X under the same out-of-warranty conditions, or take a massive loss when you sell it. Just remember, the pool of buyers who can afford 6-digit-$ vehicles AND specifically want an X is less than 1% of the population. So this will be a true Pearl White Elephant when you try to sell it someday :rolleyes: It’s missing at least one option, as most high end Xs have 22s o_O

Because that made the car has more owners. Usually 1-owner cars are easier to sell.

In one state I know of, which offers used-car rebates for EV buyers, most used-cars at dealerships will not qualify since a dealer will be 2nd owner once they take the title in from the buyer or after auction. The state says "only 1st or 2nd owners" can get the rebate. I assume a dealership taking 2nd title ownership also is applying for the rebate while they try to re-sell.

So, yes, a dealership is many times 2nd owner of a used-car and they are trying to make a few thousand on the re-sale of it.

Mode S of a couple years old are going through auction now in the mid $30k's so watch out for dealers re-selling for a lot more. I guess you can do the dealership dance of trying to talk-down the price. I wouldn't buy a used Tesla from a 3rd party dealer for any reason right now. A lot of things a car goes through can void Tesla's warranty (one of them driving on dirt roads) and so you then go for service at Tesla and may find the car out of warranty and the impossibly-high repair and parts costs can bite.

Not many 4th owners will ever consider buying an X for over $100,000 when they can’t buy TESLA’s extended warranty in three more years (when this X hits either 4 years or 50k miles). So as owner #3, you’d need to be certain you’re ready to own this X under the same out-of-warranty conditions, or take a massive loss when you sell it. Just remember, the pool of buyers who can afford 6-digit-$ vehicles AND specifically want an X is less than 1% of the population. So this will be a true Pearl White Elephant when you try to sell it someday :rolleyes: It’s missing at least one option, as most high end Xs have 22s o_O

Thanks for the reply again.
Someone already wired the dealer the downpayment so I am out of the league now...
But yeah, after reading your comment, I feel I am going to wait for a CPO now.

In one state I know of, which offers used-car rebates for EV buyers, most used-cars at dealerships will not qualify since a dealer will be 2nd owner once they take the title in from the buyer or after auction. The state says "only 1st or 2nd owners" can get the rebate. I assume a dealership taking 2nd title ownership also is applying for the rebate while they try to re-sell.

So, yes, a dealership is many times 2nd owner of a used-car and they are trying to make a few thousand on the re-sale of it.

Mode S of a couple years old are going through auction now in the mid $30k's so watch out for dealers re-selling for a lot more. I guess you can do the dealership dance of trying to talk-down the price. I wouldn't buy a used Tesla from a 3rd party dealer for any reason right now. A lot of things a car goes through can void Tesla's warranty (one of them driving on dirt roads) and so you then go for service at Tesla and may find the car out of warranty and the impossibly-high repair and parts costs can bite.

Right, CPO is probably a better option. But seems like there are not many model x p100d available...

2. 20inch wheel
4. mileage is about 2500
5. Its made in 2017 May

Original Price 160k+

FWIW - our X P100D is about the same spec and original price, also 5/2017 build. They dropped the price of the P100D quite a bit after that. The residual value of our car after the end of the lease in December 2020 with 40k miles is $101k. Also, you'll probably need the half-shafts replaced due to acceleration 'shudder' so make sure that's still under warranty. AP2.0 doesn't allow dashcam recording, but otherwise performs just fine.