Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealing with "Accessory-Itis"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed a strange compulsion to buy accessories for our cars. I've always been curious about this, which I call "accessory-itis." Here's my analysis.

We love our cars, but there's only so much time that we can spend driving them or looking at them. So we become desperate to do something with the car. This can range from buying some new type of wax, putting on a phone mount, or installing mud flaps to major expenditures like wraps or stereo systems.

I used to think that accessory-itis was caused by wanting to buy presents for the car, but I don't think that's it.

I think it's best to resist the urge, which can happen even before you get the car, since whatever you get for or do to the car will never be enough.

Your analysis is on target, doctor! Luckily, I must have gotten the vaccination at some point in my life. While I dropped some pretty serious coin when I first got HAL (PPF, tint, carbon covers for the ugly wood dash and shiny plastic console, power trunk lift, high quality mats, etc.), I haven't had the urge to buy him too many more present. My gift is keeping him in showroom condition... 🤣🤣

Oof, I definitely feel this. Some of the accessories I could argue were necessary, the floor mats for sure, maybe the mud flaps (tho I live in LA so maybe not..) The wood trim sticker I got for the console was definitely not necessary but it was only like $5....been thinking about adding a spoiler lately too...def not a necessity but I do really like the look of it!

Oof, I definitely feel this. Some of the accessories I could argue were necessary, the floor mats for sure, maybe the mud flaps (tho I live in LA so maybe not..) The wood trim sticker I got for the console was definitely not necessary but it was only like $5....been thinking about adding a spoiler lately too...def not a necessity but I do really like the look of it!
Personalizing your Tesla with accessories is a fun way to make it uniquely yours! If you're considering a spoiler, it's a great choice for adding a touch of style. The one I would recommend is available on Tesery, and it's designed for both Model 3 and Model Y. It's a sleek addition that can enhance the overall aesthetic of your vehicle. Vailable in two finishes. Gloss or Matte . The gloss version has a rich and striking appearance with a strong shine. Both are made of real molded carbon fiber, which is a hand laid woven carbon fiber without fiberglass or any other plastic. Feel free to check it out!

IMG_7075.jpg

Pretty much nothing I own of any significant value or complexity is stock. I make all kinds of changes/improvements to things for more usability or to otherwise make them more like I specifically want. I'm glad there are people out there more creative than I am who make these things available at low cost.

There is no engineer alive who thinks they cannot improve upon something another engineer did. I am very much guilty of this...