Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dec 2016: New Owner 90D Model S - Two (Really Dumb) Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - first let me say thanks to everyone who has contributed content on the TMC forum. I've been a reader for the past few months and have found the info here to be invaluable as I educated myself on Tesla, its mission and EVs in general.

I picked up my 90D on 12/15 and have been loving the experience (no surprise there!).

Had two questions that I was hoping the community could shed some light on. I apologize in advance if these questions have been addressed in previous threads (did a quick search but couldn't find answers):

1) Exterior Door Handles - if I have the Auto-Present Handles setting set to 'Off' and I park the car and walk away with the key fob in hand and I don't lock the car (i.e. I walk away without single clicking the top of the keybob). What is the expected behavior? If I do this in my garage, I noticed the car is still 'On' (door handle lights are still illuminated and the center screen is still active). Will the car eventually turn off? Basically I'm trying to keep the door handle(s) extended and have the car turn off on its own.

2) Doors - Is there a way to drive the car (creep forward) while the driver's door is not securely closed? Occasionally, I need to move my Model S a couple of feet (in my driveway or garage) and I've noticed if I haven't properly closed the driver's door, the car automatically throws itself into park. Obviously this is a good safety feature but I'm wondering if I can override this.

Thanks for your input and Happy New Year to all!

1) If you turn off walk away door locking, and then walk away from the car without locking, the handles will eventually just go back in (30 seconds or so), but the car won't be locked. Anyone can touch the handle and open the door.

2) I don't think so, but I have never really thought about ways to do this. Someone else might have better insight.

I tried to move the car with the door open. It goes into park almost immediately, which I think makes good sense. So I put a piece of tape on the floor just inside of where the garage door comes down, and when I see that tape in my camera, I know I am "in". It works well.
I also watch the headlights on the wall in front. I hit the wall about half the time. The camera view shows my position much more bettah.

There are no dumb questions. There are only smart people who buy Teslas and dumb people that don't!

The car will turn off when you get about 20-30 ft away. I have always had lock when I walk away on because I want the car to turn off and lock. It is rare that I walk up to the car in my garage when I don't have the key within enough range for me to tap the handles to extend. But it does happen and is a little annoying. My concern about about leaving the handles extended, which I don't think can be done, is that it is an invitation for somebody to come up and pull on them. I know all cars have handles. But I think it just looks so much different on a Tesla, that it is noticeable. Maybe that's because I am an owner...