Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decided Against PPF? Regrets? Pictures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone! This is my first post but I have read this forum extensively and am waiting on my Model 3 (details below).

There has been a lot of talk about PPF and the cost/benefits but something I think is missing. Has anyone not gotten any PPF and regretted it? Do you have pictures of the front of your car with a lot of rock chips? I have always driven a large truck so I was quite a bit higher on the road and got some chips but they never bothered me. I did have a grey car before but am getting a white Model 3. I'd love to hear thoughts/feedback on those that did not get PPF or the value from those that did!

I am trying to decided if its worth it for me. I drive about 30 miles round trip daily on the highway. I also plan on doing some cross country road trips. I am quite OCD and will hand wash the car once a week.

Thank you! I ordered on RWD Model 3 with EAP in White my delivery timeline so far:
  • Ordered 9/3 (Non-reservation holder, not previous owner)
  • Car built and ready for shipment 9/4
  • VIN 9/5
  • MVPA 8/6
  • Waiting on financing to be finalized now

I just got my seven year old Acura professionally detailed (so I can sell it). The Detailer is taking me around the car pointing out all the chips, scratches, dents, scuffs, etc, etc and asking how much I want to try and fix. Then he asks when I last waxed it and I felt like I was in a courtroom being cross examined since I couldn't even remember!! There's definitely damage all over the car - small things that look like dirt until you get it thoroughly cleaned and get the easy stuff buffed out and realize its permanent.

The M3 is going to be twice as expensive as the last car and I plan to treat it entirely different. People who have had cars with PPF can give you better real world information, but from what I understand if I do PPF (probably only on the most exposed areas) and Ceramic (all over including over the PPF) then I'm going to avoid a lot of that damage and also have something that is going to be much easier to clean at home on a regular basis.

Hey Mike thanks for the reply! Did you notice those things on your Acura when you had it or just when detailer pointed them out to you? I totally agree that this car is expensive, twice as expensive for me as well.

What areas are you going to PPF? The benefit of easy cleaning is also a big one for hand washing. My truck that I had I ran it through a car wash every week for 5 years - won't do that for the Model 3!

Did you notice those things on your Acura when you had it or just when detailer pointed them out to you?

What areas are you going to PPF? T
I noticed some of the damage, but not all. I really didn't keep it that super clean all the time to notice (nor did I clean it myself.) The Acura is also dark gray vs red like the M3 will be. I also realized I have a lot of pits in the windshield... small and hardly noticeable except in certain light, but I was thinking it was just bugs.

The PPF vendor I am looking at has two levels ... one is the entire front fender/lights/hood vs the other which is fender/lights/+first 24" of the hood. Both include the side mirrors. He can do all the rest of the car as well. I'll probable do the whole front.

I have never gotten PPF for any car. I've never regretted not having it. However, my attitude is that it's a car, not a painting by Rembrandt. It's not going to remain pristine. I generally keep a car so long that there's no way to keep it in mint condition, so I don't worry about it. The few hundred dollars difference in re-sale value by the time I'm ready to trade up would not be worth the stress of trying to keep it pristine. I wash my car once every couple of months from spring to fall. It's too cold to wash it in winter. I go to one of those places with a pressure wand and a soapy brush and get it mostly dry with lint-free towels.

If, as you say, you are OCD about keeping a car in mint condition, frequent hand-washing, waxing, etc., and you get pleasure out of admiring how nice the car looks, then I suppose you want PPF. I know some people think it helps. Note that a big enough pebble will still damage the car, but I suppose you'll be able to wash dirt and bugs off more easily.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your soon-to-arrive Model 3. Note that EAP takes a bit to get used to, but once you learn to use it properly, it's a dream.

I noticed some of the damage, but not all. I really didn't keep it that super clean all the time to notice (nor did I clean it myself.) The Acura is also dark gray vs red like the M3 will be. I also realized I have a lot of pits in the windshield... small and hardly noticeable except in certain light, but I was thinking it was just bugs.

The PPF vendor I am looking at has two levels ... one is the entire front fender/lights/hood vs the other which is fender/lights/+first 24" of the hood. Both include the side mirrors. He can do all the rest of the car as well. I'll probable do the whole front.
I've read horrible things about the half hood and saw one the other day and you could definitely see it - not a fan!

I have never gotten PPF for any car. I've never regretted not having it. However, my attitude is that it's a car, not a painting by Rembrandt. It's not going to remain pristine. I generally keep a car so long that there's no way to keep it in mint condition, so I don't worry about it. The few hundred dollars difference in re-sale value by the time I'm ready to trade up would not be worth the stress of trying to keep it pristine. I wash my car once every couple of months from spring to fall. It's too cold to wash it in winter. I go to one of those places with a pressure wand and a soapy brush and get it mostly dry with lint-free towels.

If, as you say, you are OCD about keeping a car in mint condition, frequent hand-washing, waxing, etc., and you get pleasure out of admiring how nice the car looks, then I suppose you want PPF. I know some people think it helps. Note that a big enough pebble will still damage the car, but I suppose you'll be able to wash dirt and bugs off more easily.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your soon-to-arrive Model 3. Note that EAP takes a bit to get used to, but once you learn to use it properly, it's a dream.
Thanks for the reply! I agree that it is a vehicle that's going to never look as good the day you bought it most likely.

Also true about the big enough pebble/rocks - that worries me as well cause if there is a dent or something in an area that you have to have fixed or the panel replaced - you have to redo PPF which can be expensive.

Thanks for the welcome and this is a great forum with so many resources. I got a Model 3 Performance loaner overnight from a service center (long story) and used EAP a lot - I agree it takes some getting used to. Any situations or times when I should avoid using it? Thanks

OP full front is good compromise for price (<2k)..also noticed you got a white ..chips are not as noticeable on those ...I have a white and did front end only and IMO is worth it

I am quite OCD and will hand wash the car once a week.

Based on this, PPF sounds like a good option for you. Full front end PPF is what most will recommend to protect against rock chips. Full hood, full bumper, headlights, front fenders and side view mirrors. The installer may throw in door edge strips as well.

Afterwards, do a DIY ceramic coating if you want ease of washing and incredible hydrophobicity. But then again, if you really are OCD and enjoy washing your car once a week, you also might enjoy old-school sealants and waxes rather than ceramic coating.

OP full front is good compromise for price (<2k)..also noticed you got a white ..chips are not as noticeable on those ...I have a white and did front end only and IMO is worth it
I got a quote to do XPEL ultimate or Suntek ULTRA for full front, full hood, full fenders, full front bumper, a pillars, head lights, fog lights, door edge guards, and center console for $1,250 - seems like a steal to me but is still $1,250.

Did you do ceramic coating as well?

Based on this, PPF sounds like a good option for you. Full front end PPF is what most will recommend to protect against rock chips. Full hood, full bumper, headlights, front fenders and side view mirrors. The installer may throw in door edge strips as well.

Afterwards, do a DIY ceramic coating if you want ease of washing and incredible hydrophobicity. But then again, if you really are OCD and enjoy washing your car once a week, you also might enjoy old-school sealants and waxes rather than ceramic coating.
See my post above on what I was quote for - need to make sure they include mirrors!

DIY ceramic makes me nervous cause I don't know how to do the required paint correction before hand. Why do you say old school sealants and waxes might be better? Thanks!

I got a quote to do XPEL ultimate or Suntek ULTRA for full front, full hood, full fenders, full front bumper, a pillars, head lights, fog lights, door edge guards, and center console for $1,250 - seems like a steal to me but is still $1,250.

Did you do ceramic coating as well?

Yes did ceramic as well ..more for ease of cleaning ...1250 is a great price for the protection you will get ..u can DiY ceramic to keep costs down as well

I put protection film on the front of the car. I paid I believe 600 for it, you cannot tell it is there. I thought about wrapping the whole hood but didn't want to spend the money on it. Weeks later I heard a rock hit, I never noticed anything until I washed the car. I found a small chip in the passenger door. I bought touch up paint and fixed it, I can't even tell there is a chip there.

I could not justify the cost of wrapping the whole car even though I am fairly OCD about my car but I am not rich. I know I couldn't deal with the front of the car all beat up and I wrapped that. It is your call and your money.

No chips yet. I’m torn over chips being worth $1,500+

Resale benefit down the road would be lucky to offset the ppf cost. And if chips are that bad a respray front bumper can’t cost that much?

The problem is that a respray with metallic paint requires blending across adjacent panels, etc etc.

It's not a financial thing for me, it's a happiness thing. I'm not losing my mind over it but when I sell the car in a year or two, I'll get PPF on the replacement. I thought people were exaggerating Tesla paint quality concerns, but I have since learned.