Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decided Against PPF? Regrets? Pictures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep at the end of Q4 they will probably use this to put on the pressure. Hopefully they will offer the pre-order price at the same time to get everyone on board. The more of us that use it the more data the machine learning/AI engine has to get to the next level.
Ya that'd be awesome. Tesla is already gaining data from every mile that every Tesla drives - that is why there is free LTE. They are financially gaining more over the long term by obtaining data than they are spending on LTE! So off topic...sorry.

Reactions: Abstrakt1
I'm doing like a 75% ppf? Doing most of it myself except the front bumper, don't want to touch that at all. Full hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors, trunk bumper, rocker panels, B pillar. Undecided on the doors yet, really antsy about the car being keyed. My model 3 will be white as well which kinda masks scratches and swirls pretty well. A full ppf ranges from 4k-7k+ (kit to custom). Without the doors, I'm looking at around $800.

If I'm paying $2,000 for paint, $800 is worth protecting the paint to me and not having to think about small bumps and bruises along the way.

I'm doing like a 75% ppf? Doing most of it myself except the front bumper, don't want to touch that at all. Full hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors, trunk bumper, rocker panels, B pillar. Undecided on the doors yet, really antsy about the car being keyed. My model 3 will be white as well which kinda masks scratches and swirls pretty well. A full ppf ranges from 4k-7k+ (kit to custom). Without the doors, I'm looking at around $800.

If I'm paying $2,000 for paint, $800 is worth protecting the paint to me and not having to think about small bumps and bruises along the way.
That is true. Props for you to doing it your self - I could not do that! Screen protector on my phone is too much for me

That is true. Props for you to doing it your self - I could not do that! Screen protector on my phone is too much for me

Also, Tesla seems to be in short supply of pearl white touch-up paint, and the Dr. colorchip is not a perfect match, it lacks the pearls. If I had just 1 rock chip knick the paint enough dead center of the hood where I see it everyday, I'd gladly pay the premium and not even think about it.

If I wanted to save money, and don't really care about the damage/scratches to my paint, I would've just gotten black.

Cheers.

Off topic: There's a scam in Mexico where a guy dressed as a parking valet stands outside a fancy restaurant, and when you pull up he hands you a ticket for your car and drives it away and you never see him or it again. :p

Sorry for the digression. o_O
Dayam, now you just went and ruined my part-time Social Security income supplement while roughing it in Cabo. Muchas gracias, amigo! :mad:

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: daniel
I’m a little torn on if PPF is worth it to me or not. At the end of the day it’s a car but it’s also not a small purchase. I really don’t think I’m going to have PPF applied, you can’t protect the car from the world and I don’t think you will see that big of a bump in resale to fully justify the price.

Add PPF to keep your car nice for yourself...not the next owner. If you don't wash your car by hand, then the damage likely won't bother you much.
If you hand wash even a few times a year, you'll notice the damage, and it may bother you.
If you would get bothered by that, get PPF.

• Love
Reactions: C141medic
I have never gotten PPF for any car. I've never regretted not having it. However, my attitude is that it's a car, not a painting by Rembrandt. It's not going to remain pristine. I generally keep a car so long that there's no way to keep it in mint condition, so I don't worry about it. The few hundred dollars difference in re-sale value by the time I'm ready to trade up would not be worth the stress of trying to keep it pristine. I wash my car once every couple of months from spring to fall. It's too cold to wash it in winter. I go to one of those places with a pressure wand and a soapy brush and get it mostly dry with lint-free towels.

If, as you say, you are OCD about keeping a car in mint condition, frequent hand-washing, waxing, etc., and you get pleasure out of admiring how nice the car looks, then I suppose you want PPF. I know some people think it helps. Note that a big enough pebble will still damage the car, but I suppose you'll be able to wash dirt and bugs off more easily.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your soon-to-arrive Model 3. Note that EAP takes a bit to get used to, but once you learn to use it properly, it's a dream.

Is there a way to give more than one like to a post? I completely agree with you 100%. My cars aren't showroom pieces. They are daily drivers that drive on poorly maintained roads and park in tight spaces when I go shopping. They go through the automated car washes and never get detailed. If they get little dings and curb rash, I usually don't bother fixing them unless they're in a spot that I actually see every day. I've never owned a car for less than 10 years and by the time they get to the point where I'm selling, the cosmetic chips and dings have no effect on the value.

I completely get that other people want to keep their cars looking pristine and as new as possible for whatever reason. This is going to be a lot of people's second-most expensive purchase of their life--the most expensive if they don't own a home. It's great that there are options for them. If they have the time and money for it, that's great.

Reactions: PessimiStick
I have used the older XPEL film and I have been on the receiving end of two rock storms with this product and it's great. First one was about a dozen decent sized rocks that resulted in 4 significant dents and a shattered windshield. The dents were fixed without removing the film and the paint and film was fine. The second time was dozens of pea gravel came out of a van.. still don't know what happened but it left a ton of dirt marks all over the front of my car. Just cleaned it off, no dents but more importantly no paint damage. I pick my Tesla up this Sunday and it gets XPEL Ultimate Plus on Monday. Both of these incidents were unexpected and happened around 75 MPH. I also end up letting bird droppings remain on my car for weeks so I also will have a ceramic coating applied.

I spent more than $1000 on a Model S chrome delete and skipped the protective film because of the cost. My theory is that the paint is soft and will get scratched and dinged, but since I am keeping it forever I can simply paint it with something harder than OEM paint later. I also think there is some chance that the S front fascia changes to look like the Model 3, in which case I may upgrade it, depending on what happens with the hood. I have already touched up one rock chip at 20k miles. It was noticeable before the touch up from afar, but now only up close. I can see the latest scratch from two feet. My paint is non metallic black.

if you think you will still enjoy your car no matter what paint chips it may have, then by all means save the $$$$$ on PPF. The only reason im doing it is for ease of cleaning, not because im OCD about minor chips. If i sell my car in 10 years, i doubt "flawless paint" will add any resale value.

I have always installed a clear bra kit on my new vehicles for probable the past 10 years or so. I have gotten pretty good at it. I have always purchased from the invisible mask site and been very pleased with the quality and ordering process. I was debating having a local shop do it for me this time, but I just can't do it lol. I think I will enjoy taking my time and applying the 3M Scotchgard Pro Film myself. Wish me luck!

MODEL 3

Reactions: untilcomplete
I got the front bumper, headlights and side mirrors covered with Xpel ultimate and cost was $500 installed. I also put cquartz ceramic coating on the car by myself and total cost was $60 + 2 hours of my time. Car looked fine to me out of factory and could not notice any paint imperfections so didn't bother with all the prep work and paint correction, I just wanted to make it easier to keep clean and the results came out amazing to me. I honestly mostly bought into the hype and never would consider investing absurd amounts on paint protection for a daily driver car thats worth less then 70k. I got the PPF because I thought the Tesla has not grill and I have a white Model 3 so it may show rock chips much easier then darker colored cars. For $560 total + my time, I am happy with my results. My 2014 Blue BMW 435i has no protection besides reload silica spray every 6 months and still looks to be in showroom condition with proper washing. My Model X is blue and has no paint protection on it and looks new also. Cars are meant to be enjoyed, if you do decide to do PPF don't except even $1 more in resale as nobody asks/cars about it when trading it in. Get PPF if you were the type who cared about small dings and marks on your old cars, if it never bothered you before or you never noticed then don't feel pressured to do anything special.