Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deep Blue....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What years did Tesla offer this color? I love this color a lot more than the lighter blue they offer now. What is more important, it is the color my wife likes!

We have a red 90D (my car). When her min-van dies, our plan is to get another Model S. We just love that car. Used is fine with us as well. Frankly I think used Model S's are the best value out there right now in the luxury car market. People get so caught up with mileage, but I think you have to attack depreciation different with an EV.

I think that's correct. My 2015 is also the dark blue. The "deep blue metallic" is actually the lighter blue that they started offering in 2016.
There's an Ocean Blue in there somewhere too. I believe that two of them are the same color but with different names... might be Deep Blue and Ocean Blue.... possible. Dunno but the blue colors for Tesla are quite confusing and I even own one! lol

Came across these on the Used Tesla site. To me, these were the two options? Both 2016 btw. Which to me is good since that was the year I was looking to possibly buy. Just a little soon since my wife's car doesn't need to be replaced until next year.
7BF6C873-3BC6-46FE-B125-BBB3690E63D4.png
74FBA8A4-7061-46E7-A8B3-D88693961DD5.png

• Helpful
Reactions: FutureShock
Came across these on the Used Tesla site. To me, these were the two options? Both 2016 btw. Which to me is good since that was the year I was looking to possibly buy. Just a little soon since my wife's car doesn't need to be replaced until next year.View attachment 487571 View attachment 487574
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The difference isn't the model year but the pre-fresh vs refresh. The prefresh car is called "Deep Blue Metallic" which is the color of our 2015 70D and it looks pretty close to that photo. The refresh car is also "Deep Blue Metallic" but I think it's just their stock photo makes it look lighter because if you look at the actual photos of both cars you will see that, aside from lighting differences, they basically look the same. I believe that "Ocean Blue" that I mentioned earlier is actually the exact same color but they changed the name of it circa 2015 sometime which is a terrible move to rename a color, talk about confusing.

I believe the darker blue color may have actually been called Dark Blue Metallic but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Kind of sucks though because I actually like the look of that lighter blue exterior in the stock photo of the refresh cars. I don't think they ever made one like that though aside from the one special order P85D that surfaced a year or so ago that was factory painted a really light blue. I wish I had bought that one now as it had a color like the Nogaro Blue from the Audi RS4 and other special edition Audis.

Came across these on the Used Tesla site. To me, these were the two options? Both 2016 btw. Which to me is good since that was the year I was looking to possibly buy. Just a little soon since my wife's car doesn't need to be replaced until next year.View attachment 487571 View attachment 487574

You have to check the paint code.

They did some mucking with the photos at some point as well. Same shade but the photos looked different.

I might be mistaken but he might be talking about the previous dark blue version that was nearly black unless in the sunlight.

The challenge with that old blue is that 90% of the time it "read" as black (so what was the point?). Heck, even the current blue reads as nearly black in lower light. The old one, I would often be standing right in front of one in and sometimes couldn't immediately tell if t was blue or black unless it was in the direct sun.

I think I am going to have to work backwards and find one in person. Ask the person for their VIN and get the paint code. I fear that there is a lot of confusion on this color. She loves the darker blue and really doesn't like the lighter version, so I have to get this correct.

According to Tesla Tap (see below), the there have been 3 names for blue, but only 2 blues were ever in production.

Blue Metallic - This is the darkest shade and was discontinued in 2015.
Ocean Blue/Deep Blue Metallic - "Ocean" was used in communications, but when produced the name changed to DBM.

Here are all historical Tesla colors up to 2019, with color codes and detailed info.
Paint and Coatings | TeslaTap

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 9.26.04 AM.png

So based on the chart above, the two models I peeled off of Tesla's Used Car inventory are impossible....correct? There was only one blue offered in 2016. Unless Tesla Tap is wrong and some of these two colors were produced in 2016? Wish I would have captured the VIN's on the above. I just took screen shots. Cars are gone now :( Really wanted to get a 2016 in that "Blue Metallic" color. On the other hand, the "Deep Blue Metallic" color to me isn't deep blue. But that is subjective. When you go onto Tesla's new car site it is clear it is the brighter blue.