Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defroster via remote app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been any rumor or discussion of enabling defrosters via the phone app?

I love that I can warm the car, but parking outside in the winter the windshields and more often side mirrors still have to do a full defrost - even if I’ve warmed the cabin to 70.

On my Jeep the remote start would turn the defroster on if it was on when the car was previously shut off with the defroster set to the on position.

On my S, I just tried out leaving my front defroster on (red) and rear defroster on then leaving the car and then turned on the HVAC from the tesla mobile app. Wasn't able to tell if it continued the defroster but when I opened the door again and the 17" display it up again the defroster remained in the on position from when I had left it before.

Regrettably, all these low hanging fruit that would improve the quality of life of people in cold climates remain just out of reach. It's like the people at Tesla don't understand cold weather hmmmm perhaps because everyone is in Cali? Musk should spend some time in northern Minnesota to understand the needs of these customers :)

1. Remote defrost
2. Persistent steering wheel heat option (Like seat warmers)
3. Ability to schedule charging to be done at a Target vs start at a Target to warm the battery
4. Ability to manually heat battery. This is present in the P100 Ludicrious + mode which allows someone to set Max Battery mode.

All of these would be relatively minor updates, yet here we sit several years later with no progress still wishing that we didn't have to micro-manage the car in the winter time.

Reactions: Xenius
On my Jeep the remote start would turn the defroster on if it was on when the car was previously shut off with the defroster set to the on position.

On my S, I just tried out leaving my front defroster on (red) and rear defroster on then leaving the car and then turned on the HVAC from the tesla mobile app. Wasn't able to tell if it continued the defroster but when I opened the door again and the 17" display it up again the defroster remained in the on position from when I had left it before.
I thought I had read that the HVAC didn't reset when the car was turned off. Therefore, if the HVAC was on it would resume from the point the car turned off. Now, I just need to remember to set the defroster the night before. **

** Yes, parts of Cali actually see frost in the morning. Plays havoc with our tee times but it does keep the wine properly chilled during the round. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: JPUConn and Xenius