Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deliveries held hostage by Union Pacific

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I am {first_name} {last_name} allow me to explain how mail merge works...

Am I the only one that immediately thought NSC was a reference to Norfolk Southern? 011 and 099 are both NS designations, and NSC is another rail carrier. Norfolk Southern It just seems like this is a BS attempt at defending a rail road.

Now I really want OP to respond to tell me how close I am.

RailPictures.Net » Photo Search Result » Railroad, Train, Railway Photos, Pictures & News

RailPictures.Net » Photo Search Result » Railroad, Train, Railway Photos, Pictures & News

Reactions: ucla95
Good afternoon,

I am NSC011099. I'm going to start off quickly by saying that I am NOT an owner (or fan, for that matter) of Tesla (or any other Elon Musk venture). However, I felt compelled to create this account to clear up some of the smoke surrounding the Tesla/Union Pacific issues.

Although I am not a fan of Tesla, I am a supporter of our nation's railroads, especially Union Pacific. UP literally helped build this country, as I'm sure you all will remember from your education about the 1800s and the Transcontinental Railroad. UP has done a lot of good things for us, and it seems only fair that they be given a fair shake too.

As I'm sure you've all heard, Tesla is the subject of heavy debate right now in regards to Elon Musk and his antics as well as the general probability of the company being around this time next year. Recently, it has come to light that Tesla seemed to be leaving many suppliers "high and dry", as it were, when it comes to getting paid, and even asking for refunds for parts.

Now, Tesla tried to pass this off as a "normal business operation" or something to that extent. I can say that is definitely not the case. I am a supply chain student at a top 10 supply chain school (I'm not going to name which), and I've talked with my professors about this. All of them agree on one thing: that in all of their professional lives, they have never once heard of a company asking their suppliers for refunds like Tesla did. They took this as a sign that Tesla was developing a serious cash problem. It seems that Union Pacific was not spared in this. Railroads do not like dwell time. They want cars on their network moving as much as possible so they're earning revenue for the company. Although these Model 3s are not in a railcar, they are on the lot, and won't be released. Another chat with one of my SCM professors revealed that UP is probably holding onto the cars as collateral until Tesla pays them, as a paperwork snafu would have been resolved by now.

If your car is one of those that is stuck in the lot, contact Tesla. Union Pacific is not going to release the cars because one of them "belongs to you". In reality, it doesn't, unless you already have the title in hand, which from what I understand of the Tesla delivery process, doesn't happen until you get to the SC. If you do not have the title in your hand, then the car is still legally the property of Tesla and will be treated as such. At the same time, I've seen more than a few posts on Twitter that talk about getting 20 people together and "rescuing" the cars from the lot. Although this is likely a joke, I will say that railroad police take their jobs seriously, have arresting power, and are armed. It's not a good idea.

If you have any questions, please ask them. I'm not a "know-all" expert, but I have enough knowledge about the rail industry that I'll do my best to help in that regard.

Thanks,

-NSC011099
Actually, once the car is paid for if the car was financed the bank owns the car. Cars are specifically identified by VIN and are the property of whoever has paid for the car. If the individual paid cash they are the owner. Union Pacific is an unsecured creditor unless they arranged beforehand for a bond.

Actually, once the car is paid for if the car was financed the bank owns the car. Cars are specifically identified by VIN and are the property of whoever has paid for the car. If the individual paid cash they are the owner. Union Pacific is an unsecured creditor unless they arranged beforehand for a bond.

My guess would be that an extreme minority of the customers waiting for those cars have actually paid for them. That means they're Tesla's cars and not the customers'.

Actually, once the car is paid for if the car was financed the bank owns the car..

Actually, no, they don't.

A lien on a title is not ownership.

Likewise the "bank" doesn't own your house either if you have a mortgage, you do. The bank simply has a lien against it. If you go into default on the mortgage they can use that lien to TAKE ownership. Which they wouldn't need to do if they already owned it. Same with the car.

Now, Tesla tried to pass this off as a "normal business operation" or something to that extent. I can say that is definitely not the case. I am a supply chain student at a top 10 supply chain school (I'm not going to name which), and I've talked with my professors about this. All of them agree on one thing: that in all of their professional lives, they have never once heard of a company asking their suppliers for refunds like Tesla did. They took this as a sign that Tesla was developing a serious cash problem.

Perhaps you heard the espression:
- Those who can do. Those who can't teach.
A little harsh perhaps. But like many generalization more than just a grain of truth.

I must apologise as I didn't think anyone rated schools on "supply chain management". But it is in fact a thing. Perhaps adding China to the supply chain has greatly increased complexity for management. :rolleyes: Sorry I doubted your claim.

Your best chance, in auto industry here in the US is probably with a foreign auto company. That also surprised me.
Insult To Injury: Foreign Manufacturers Now Making More Cars In U.S. Than U.S. Companies
"Wasn't President Trump going to bring back manufacturing jobs? Didn't he promise us? We delivered the votes."
Wonder how Tesla numbers will tip the scale? side question: do cars in Rail Yards count? :p

Good afternoon,

I am NSC011099. I'm going to start off quickly by saying that I am NOT an owner (or fan, for that matter) of Tesla (or any other Elon Musk venture). However, I felt compelled to create this account to clear up some of the smoke surrounding the Tesla/Union Pacific issues.

I am a supply chain student at a top 10 supply chain school (I'm not going to name which), and I've talked with my professors about this.
If you have any questions, please ask them. I'm not a "know-all" expert, but I have enough knowledge about the rail industry that I'll do my best to help in that regard.

Thanks,

-NSC011099

I have 2 problems here. First, this guy is a low post count noob. See my profile photo. He is not credible here.

Second, and more amusing to me, he is a STUDENT in college. I always get a good laugh out of students who, as soon as they learn a little about a subject, decide to have "student protests" and things like that. I always want to smile smugly at them, pat them on the head and tell them to go sit in class and learn what the hell they are talking about first, in a demeaning way. Fools.

Get this, NSC. You're a student. That means you are in school to learn. You do not know JACK about the real world, it is not your place to tell us what we're doing wrong, and no one asked you anyhow. You do not have a qualified opinion or the experience to back it up.

So sit down, shut up, and pay attention in class. Come back in 5 years or more.