Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, new user here and I hate for my first post to be a negative one but I have a problem. I received my car last Friday and drove it gingerly on the weekend. I brought it to a shop on Tuesday for Tint/Wrap/Rims and they noticed some damage to my passenger front wheel well. It looks significant and I have to imagine it is from the delivery straps etc. Anyway, no one is calling me back from Tesla and I am wondering how I go about contacting someone in Ottawa to have a look. Needless to say, this is very disappointing but I am hopeful that Tesla will back me up on this as I DEFINITELY did not cause the damage. Has anyone else dealt with anything similar? Minus the damage, my car looks sweet....pics to come.

Do you have a store or a service center near by? If so I'd drive there and at least have them document the issue. Not sure how Tesla deals with damage not noticed until after delivery but given they were pushing hard to get vehicles delivered, I assume many people were rushed out and missed damage as well.. I looked mine over pretty good but noticed a blemish on the dash after I got home. I scheduled an appointment through the app and I'll see what they say when they come out on the 12th..

There are mobile rangers here in Ottawa as the closest service centre is 90 minutes away in Montreal. I guess I have to try and track one of those guys down. Unfortunately, on the day of delivery, they were 2 hours late and I did not have enough time to do as thorough of inspection as I would have liked. Also, the driver seemed to be in a big hurry to get out of there.....he didn't even ask me for ID. Thanks for the response.

There are mobile rangers here in Ottawa as the closest service centre is 90 minutes away in Montreal. I guess I have to try and track one of those guys down. Unfortunately, on the day of delivery, they were 2 hours late and I did not have enough time to do as thorough of inspection as I would have liked. Also, the driver seemed to be in a big hurry to get out of there.....he didn't even ask me for ID. Thanks for the response.

Yeah my appointment was an hour and a half late and the 'delivery expert' walked me to the car and said if I have any questions to come find him and walked off... Never saw him again and even went to look for him because I had questions... Finally gave up and left..

My issue is minor and just a dash blemish so not the end of the world. Your issue sounds more serious so I'd document everything and maybe even get a letter from the shop that found the damage. Take photos ect.

Good luck!

Waiting for the pics, but in the interim, there's another thread where the owner's lift points were all damaged during delivery. The straps were too tight, or the truck made an emergency stop, because all the lift points were damaged in the same direction. So, damaged to your wheel wells during delivery is not unheard of.

I'm super frustrated as my sales representative at Tesla is telling me that there was no damage noted at the time of inspection and again at delivery that it is not their fault. I most definitely did not cause this damage so I'm hoping once we get a ranger out to have a look at it he will recognize the pattern of damage. Thanks for the reassurance.

A couple pics of the damage. As you can see, it's not a ton of damage but it looks like the delivery guy over-tensioned the straps on the truck. Here's hoping someone from Tesla calls me back soon.....

wY9S8lM.jpg
TrIRywu.jpg

Unfortunately, on the day of delivery, they were 2 hours late and I did not have enough time to do as thorough of inspection as I would have liked. Also, the driver seemed to be in a big hurry to get out of there.....he didn't even ask me for ID. Thanks for the response.

Let them know you weren't given enough time to properly inspect the car. I took delivery outside in the rain and there was no way to properly look the car over. Tesla let me add items to my Due Bill even after almost 2.5 months. Good Luck !

BTW - I like your rims. What brand and what size ?

Hmm. After market wheel changes. So since you never noted the damage yourself how do you know it was tesla or the shop that changed the rims? Why didnt the shop changing your rims not tell you about it to avoid liability for creating it?

I second that question. ?
This looks like damage from something hitting or hit on the road.
How would a strap damage it in that location. ?

I second that question. ?
This looks like damage from something hitting or hit on the road.
How would a strap damage it in that location. ?

1) Unfortunately I didn't notice it on my walkaround at delivery. To be fair, the guy was 2 hours late and I had to rush off to work
2) Fortunately, I did excitedly take a photo of the car up on the truck when it arrived. I wasn't looking for damage but I did capture one image that appears to show the mark in front of the wheel.
3) I drove the car for 3 days (never getting in the passenger side) not noticing the damage and brought it to my local shop for tint/wrap/wheels. They noticed the damage, took photos, and notified me immediately.

I guess on Tesla's end it sounds sketchy which is why they are giving me a hard time/ignoring me. But the way the clips are snapped they actually look like pulled down, I don't think I could cause that kind of damage if I tried. If I hit something (which I think I would have noticed) things would have been pushed upward and not pulled down. Admittedly, it's hard to see in the photo.

1) Unfortunately I didn't notice it on my walkaround at delivery. To be fair, the guy was 2 hours late and I had to rush off to work
2) Fortunately, I did excitedly take a photo of the car up on the truck when it arrived. I wasn't looking for damage but I did capture one image that appears to show the mark in front of the wheel.
3) I drove the car for 3 days (never getting in the passenger side) not noticing the damage and brought it to my local shop for tint/wrap/wheels. They noticed the damage, took photos, and notified me immediately.

I guess on Tesla's end it sounds sketchy which is why they are giving me a hard time/ignoring me. But the way the clips are snapped they actually look like pulled down, I don't think I could cause that kind of damage if I tried. If I hit something (which I think I would have noticed) things would have been pushed upward and not pulled down. Admittedly, it's hard to see in the photo.

Fair enough. Well I hope it gets resolved through Tesla then.
Sucks having damage to a new Tesla for any reason.

Post the pic on the truck, that will help your claim immensely.

Why is it always the 1st reaction of some to assume everyone is a liar?

Anyways, back on topic... I can't tell in your photo if I see the damage or not. It looks like I can but then I wonder if what I am seeing is just reflections..

Either way, good luck and stick to your guns.. I don't know how Tesla will react to my claim for the dash blemish but if they give me any guff, they'll get massive pushback from me...

Wow, hard to say given all the reflections from those pics. I would be putting on mudguards anyway, being in Canada with a black finish, which would totally hide any paint damage to the inner wheel well.

Having said that, when I look at the pics, the damage seems to be on the inside of the wheel well, while the on-trailer image seems to show a spot on the outerside of the wheel well. Given the angle of the light and the angle of the image, it is probably impossible to see a spot on the inside of the wheel well. Put your car back in that spot and try to take a similar picture under the same lighting conditions and I'd wager you'll find it impossible to see that damage. So my conclusion is that the spot you're seeing on the trailer is just a reflection, and not the same damage you see in your first pic.

Also, to my eye, the spot on the trailer, is just below the line on the rockers. You know that horizontal line about an inch below where the rocker panel starts. But, the damage on the first image seems to show the chip is two inches below the line, so not exactly the same location.