Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery dates changing by the week...what's up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past couple of weeks, I've seen my reservation (which was done back in March) go from an Oct., 2022-December, 2022 window to a January, 2023-April, 2023, back to a more specific....November 28, 2022 to January 23, 2023 windows. Just yesterday that changed to an April, 2023-July, 2023?

What's going on? Is this normal?

Over the past couple of weeks, I've seen my reservation (which was done back in March) go from an Oct., 2022-December, 2022 window to a January, 2023-April, 2023, back to a more specific....November 28, 2022 to January 23, 2023 windows. Just yesterday that changed to an April, 2023-July, 2023?

What's going on? Is this normal?
Here is a 2000 page thread that deals with varying EDDs (among other things). Unfortunately (as Cogito said) this is typical. That thread was started over a year ago when a 3 month delay seemed outrageous. The longer delivery delays we are seeing now increase the EDD variability. You can drive yourself crazy following the bouncing EDD.

My wild guess is the slower than expected ramp up of Giga Texas may have been a part of the variability you're seeing. Adding a 2170 production line at Giga Texas may have brought the EDD down then goodness knows why it went back up again.

I would have thought that a company like Tesla could have a more reliable system in place. At least they shouldn't be changing dates, changing them back, making them longer, etc. Makes no sense. It only makes the customer upset.

I would prefer they just stick with a conservative estimate, leave it at that, and update that EDD when they are SURE (i.e. have a VIN).

I would have thought that a company like Tesla could have a more reliable system in place. At least they shouldn't be changing dates, changing them back, making them longer, etc. Makes no sense. It only makes the customer upset.

I would prefer they just stick with a conservative estimate, leave it at that, and update that EDD when they are SURE (i.e. have a VIN).
Its easy to forget that global supply chain issues have not gone away and demand isn't reducing, all of which makes it harder.
The fact that they give any delivery date in this operating climate is staggering.
They have ridiculous demand which pushes delivery dates waaaay out into the future.
Then then have a rapidly changing supply landscape where global supply chains are shifting. Suppliers suddenly unable to supply, others popping up, component pricing changing etc etc etc.
Oh - and they're bringing two massive factories online to cope with demand.
There is no volume manufacturer that isn't suffering from this - its not exactly news any more because its so common.

Easy way to sidestep it is buy an inventory car, but unsurprisingly its really difficult to get one but they do exist.

Reactions: BitJam