Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery delayed a week due to "fit-and-finish" issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was supposed to pick up my Y from Tyco on 6/7. I called them 6/5 to get an update to ensure my car would be available. They stated my car wasn't supposed to arrive until Saturday night (6/6) or Sunday morning (6/7) and asked to reschedule to Monday (I rejected and said I needed to get it on a weekend due to work). They called me on Sunday (6/7) and said the car arrived Friday or Saturday, but that the service center had not had a chance to look at it. They asked if I could reschedule until Saturday (6/13) to pick up the vehicle. They said their was a chance they could deliver it to me during the week, but so far I have not received any updates. I guess the positive is that Tyco is actually looking at the car before they deliver it to customers.

Add me to list. Got delivery notice 2 weeks ago tyco center. 2 days before delivery call that my car had fit and finish problems and would be delayed for another week. Vin 588X. 2 days before my 2nd scheduled delivery another call telling me my car had arrived and had fit and finish problems and when I told them I was told same thing a week ago. I asked why it was taking so long to fix these issues. They admitted damage to vehicle. I asked what damage and told they didnt know but are awaiting a new door seal and didn’t know when they would get it. I asked where it was damaged and they said in transport. I asked if it required paint and they didn’t know. I am unable to figure out how a door seal gets damaged to require replacement without external damage. Anyway I asked for a different vin since they could not give me details and wouldn’t allow me to look at it. They agreed but said they couldn’t tell me when I would get another vin-but I said that you can’t tell me when I would get the one shipped. This is my seventh tesla and have never experienced this before (had a roadster sport, model s, model x and 3 model 3) and am disappointed by their lack of clarity as an owner and 8 year investor 9with 10s of million in stock)

Yeah, not sure why there has to be so much resistance to being transparent. I finally was fed up and physically visited Tyco when I was getting nowhere on the phone and stood behind an advisor while he pulled up my record on his PC. He was super uncomfortable about this for some reason, like he was hiding something, and kept repeating that they "don't do this" and "won't let me see the vehicle pre-delivery". This is really how I got to see the details about the trunk lid needing to be repainted, and the dent removal from the quarter panel. I got a legacy dealer vibe the entire time. This is my money (although I do congratulate you on the 10's of millions in TSLA stock!), I'm not as well-off, and for $60K, I have every right to know what my car is getting done to it, with clear communication from Tesla. The whole point of the direct-sales model that intrigued me was the lack of sleazy, zero-value-add sales team, and pressure for useless add-ons. I was hoping this was going to be a much better experience, and it would influence my family to possibly switch to Tesla, and my daughter as she is only a couple of years away from driving. But this is certainly not what I expected, and none of the many co-workers of mine who own S/X/3 have had any of these issues. My wife now looks at me like I'm nuts, this experience is keeping her firm-footed with her BMW, where they basically treat her like royalty.

Reactions: InternetDude
for $60K, I have every right to know what my car is getting done to it,

Well technically it isn't your car yet, and the laws say that you don't have the right to know about "minor" repairs made prior to delivery. (The definition of minor varies between states.) Well they may not say that exactly, but they say that the dealer doesn't have to disclose "minor" repairs on new vehicles.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Well technically it isn't your car yet, and the laws say that you don't have the right to know about "minor" repairs made prior to delivery. (The definition of minor varies between states.) Well they may not say that exactly, but they say that the dealer doesn't have to disclose "minor" repairs on new vehicles.

True, and Virginia law states that new vehicle damage up to 3% of the vehicle's value doesn't have to be disclosed. And I recognize there is evidence that per-delivery damage to new vehicles happens more often than we all want to admit across all manufacturers. It just doesn't feel good. And if there was strong evidence this fit-and-finish occurrence is an anomaly with Tesla, I would give up my VIN immediately and wait for the next one. But seems that no matter how late the VIN, there are horror stories much worse than mine with delivery quality, so I may wait another 2-3 weeks only to have another 2-3 weeks of waiting while they repair fit-and-finish issues.

Well, delivery delayed again. Now rescheduled for the afternoon of June 18th, so coming on 3 weeks past the original delivery date. I did find out that it was being repainted at the Tesla Rockville location and is still there. The official description I was now given was that it was being repainted "due to inclusions in the paint". They also said that parts are taking a long time to receive, and this has been the majority of the wait time. Not sure what parts were needed, that is still unclear to me. Hopefully the quality of Tesla Rockville's body shop is good. Guess it is hard to get worse than the factory paint, right?

Well, delivery delayed again. Now rescheduled for the afternoon of June 18th, so coming on 3 weeks past the original delivery date. I did find out that it was being repainted at the Tesla Rockville location and is still there. The official description I was now given was that it was being repainted "due to inclusions in the paint". They also said that parts are taking a long time to receive, and this has been the majority of the wait time. Not sure what parts were needed, that is still unclear to me. Hopefully the quality of Tesla Rockville's body shop is good. Guess it is hard to get worse than the factory paint, right?
I strongly recommend that you reject delivery and just wait until the factory gets truly operational. I too have a covid car (Model S built in early March) and am now on the 3rd service center visit to fix all the issues. It's so bad, as if it skipped QC entirely. Keep in mind, there's only so much that a Service Center can fix. When they say you won't notice, it means it will be repaired to THEIR standards not yours.

I strongly recommend that you reject delivery and just wait until the factory gets truly operational. I too have a covid car (Model S built in early March) and am now on the 3rd service center visit to fix all the issues. It's so bad, as if it skipped QC entirely. Keep in mind, there's only so much that a Service Center can fix. When they say you won't notice, it means it will be repaired to THEIR standards not yours.
Quality Issues on Model S built in March 2020

Add me to list. Got delivery notice 2 weeks ago tyco center. 2 days before delivery call that my car had fit and finish problems and would be delayed for another week. Vin 588X. 2 days before my 2nd scheduled delivery another call telling me my car had arrived and had fit and finish problems and when I told them I was told same thing a week ago. I asked why it was taking so long to fix these issues. They admitted damage to vehicle. I asked what damage and told they didnt know but are awaiting a new door seal and didn’t know when they would get it. I asked where it was damaged and they said in transport. I asked if it required paint and they didn’t know. I am unable to figure out how a door seal gets damaged to require replacement without external damage. Anyway I asked for a different vin since they could not give me details and wouldn’t allow me to look at it. They agreed but said they couldn’t tell me when I would get another vin-but I said that you can’t tell me when I would get the one shipped. This is my seventh tesla and have never experienced this before (had a roadster sport, model s, model x and 3 model 3) and am disappointed by their lack of clarity as an owner and 8 year investor 9with 10s of million in stock)
Got call today. Found a car to be delivered today. Asked if previously damaged but told no. 2 hrs later another call someone driving it back to be washed “someone drove too close to the wall”. So no delivery and looking for a third car. We laughed at it very different attitude. A honest communication. Didn’t need to demand answers

Got a call today to delay my delivery yet again to the 23rd, so 23 days of delays to address defects and 4 reschedules. VIN 59xx. Told again, because they are "addressing paint issues with the trunklid". I'm done with this VIN, so I released it today and will await the next one. Now I'm pissed that it is so late in June, and if the East/West coast thing is accurate about deliveries, I'm not confident I'll be seeing another delivery for 4-8 weeks, and my financing will expire. If we get 3-4 weeks in with no VIN, I'm probably going to look elsewhere and cancel entirely and revisit in 2021 when (if?) they ever get their act together. This has been a disappointing journey to say the least.

Got a call today to delay my delivery yet again to the 23rd, so 23 days of delays to address defects and 4 reschedules. VIN 59xx. Told again, because they are "addressing paint issues with the trunklid". I'm done with this VIN, so I released it today and will await the next one. Now I'm pissed that it is so late in June, and if the East/West coast thing is accurate about deliveries, I'm not confident I'll be seeing another delivery for 4-8 weeks, and my financing will expire. If we get 3-4 weeks in with no VIN, I'm probably going to look elsewhere and cancel entirely and revisit in 2021 when (if?) they ever get their act together. This has been a disappointing journey to say the least.
It shouldn’t take you too long to get a new VIN assigned (~7 days). Mine took only 4 days. Only problem is second one still has some issues (not as much as 1st), so I wasn’t able to pick it up even after 2 trips to the SC. My delivery agent said they will not fix taillight, paint dust, and frunk gap. He said if I am not satisfied they will release the VIN again. I can’t wait to pick it up this Saturday and start driving it.

Attachments

• 45C51725-B580-4268-8BCB-F30F034CAF8D.jpeg
    45C51725-B580-4268-8BCB-F30F034CAF8D.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 81
  • B281DB79-CFA8-45A3-87FB-A68F20AF07E7.jpeg
    B281DB79-CFA8-45A3-87FB-A68F20AF07E7.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 88506E95-4084-443B-9718-C75B5D0B9060.jpeg
    88506E95-4084-443B-9718-C75B5D0B9060.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 83D81BBC-8865-4B6E-8A0B-C751EC4074F1.jpeg
    83D81BBC-8865-4B6E-8A0B-C751EC4074F1.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 55
  • B39F9C49-1172-49F6-BADE-756C7EA87295.jpeg
    B39F9C49-1172-49F6-BADE-756C7EA87295.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 595FA4E5-8051-4D70-9820-BE1C4885B8F9.jpeg
    595FA4E5-8051-4D70-9820-BE1C4885B8F9.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 49
  • B2217F57-0A2B-4C09-9319-F1AFDFEB43C9.jpeg
    B2217F57-0A2B-4C09-9319-F1AFDFEB43C9.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 49E79F16-62B8-472A-B2A8-B737C86CCB41.jpeg
    49E79F16-62B8-472A-B2A8-B737C86CCB41.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 49
  • D3F0D884-5D16-43EA-BE56-71D5C2A34A9B.jpeg
    D3F0D884-5D16-43EA-BE56-71D5C2A34A9B.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 53
  • E0DAE14F-CA5B-477F-9885-9E0AC69CFA7B.jpeg
    E0DAE14F-CA5B-477F-9885-9E0AC69CFA7B.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 56
At least you got to see your car and make the call yourself. The issue that has always been bothering me, and ultimately why I released the VIN, is because the SC was adamant that I am not allowed the see the vehicle before they are done. I do appreciate them doing their best to make it presentable, however, if they were just transparent and walked me through the vehicle condition in-person or even with photos, that would have helped alot. It was shady since day 1. Reading other posts in the forum, it doesn't look like getting another VIN may be any better, but I'm taking the chance and guess I'll find out.

It shouldn’t take you too long to get a new VIN assigned (~7 days). Mine took only 4 days. Only problem is second one still has some issues (not as much as 1st), so I wasn’t able to pick it up even after 2 trips to the SC. My delivery agent said they will not fix taillight, paint dust, and frunk gap. He said if I am not satisfied they will release the VIN again. I can’t wait to pick it up this Saturday and start driving it.
Geeze, this is just as bad as mine. Was this advertised as a new car? If it was, that is borderline criminal.

Geeze, this is just as bad as mine. Was this advertised as a new car? If it was, that is borderline criminal.
You should check out the photos of my 1st car that I refused to take delivery on page 2 of this post. Not sure how it passed the QC. A total nightmare! I wasn’t able to post them all btw. This is totally different car buying experience (very stressful one~).

I received a call from Tyco Rd. today. They need to reschedule my delivery tomorrow to mid next-week due to "fit-and-finish" issues. I've asked for a detailed list of the issues, as I want to know exactly what is being addressed, and they said "they will do their best" to provide me a list. While I appreciate them taking the time to address these issues before I see them, I'm concerned about how extensive the repairs need to be.

I'm convinced my 59xx VIN was shipped before the supposed extra QA factor inspections. Before COVID lock-downs, I did see a blue MY in Tyco's service area with the hatch removed, rear paint sanded, body filler in the rear panels, and basically an entire new paint job on the back half of the car. This is NOT something I would ever accept, and will reject a new car in this condition.

I'm planning on going there in-person either late today or tomorrow to see the car myself, honestly, whether they like it or not. With a purchase of this dollar amount, I feel I have the right to know what "fit-and-finish" issues are being addressed.

Thoughts anyone can share with me about what to do? Anyone else have this happen? I think it is incredibly unfair if the condition of the car is unacceptable to me, and I cannot simply ask for the next in line, and I'm forced to get a different configuration, when this is absolutely the configuration I wanted. I will be very disappointed if this results in me moving away from Tesla.
Hi BreatheEasier,
Can you please help me with how you dealt with the situation? I am kind of in the same situation

My delivery was scheduled for tomorrow (21st March ‘2021). I received a call from my sales rep today telling me that I have an issue with my paint coat and the car needs to go to the workshop.

I am worried that the paint job would not be up to standards and I might get my car back with quality issues. I am having mixed feelings. Has anyone experienced same thing with their Tesla? Should I be worried? Should i reject the car??