Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery delayed twice for failing quality control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Venting a little but also a question. Had delivery appt. for 8/16. Day before i get a call from the advisor that my didn't pass quality control and would be delayed. The delivery dept. would call with update. Later that day i get a call from delivery that "they didn't have time yet to do the QC" and it would be ready to pick up 8/22? Called my advisor and he says "they have the staff to do all inspections on time so what delivery said isn't correct. There must be something wrong with the car they needed to fix." Today delivery calls and says your car still didn't pass QC and they are expecting it to be ready 9/7! Now i'm concerned, what would take 3 weeks to fix? Do i even want this car? Do i want to try to get a new VIN? Thoughts? Anyone have experience similar?

Venting a little but also a question. Had delivery appt. for 8/16. Day before i get a call from the advisor that my didn't pass quality control and would be delayed. The delivery dept. would call with update. Later that day i get a call from delivery that "they didn't have time yet to do the QC" and it would be ready to pick up 8/22? Called my advisor and he says "they have the staff to do all inspections on time so what delivery said isn't correct. There must be something wrong with the car they needed to fix." Today delivery calls and says your car still didn't pass QC and they are expecting it to be ready 9/7! Now i'm concerned, what would take 3 weeks to fix? Do i even want this car? Do i want to try to get a new VIN? Thoughts? Anyone have experience similar?

Yes, I had somthing similar happen to me. I was fortunate to have caught my car right after getting unloaded off of transport. I carefully inspected it, and it was perfect. Day before delivery I get the call, expecting to be to setup the delivery appointment, but instead letting me know that my car did not pass quality control and delivery would be delayed a week.

So I explained that I had already thoroughly checked the car the day before and that I did not see any problems. They were super vague and elusive, but after a few minutes of pressing I got the guy on the phone to admit they needed to replace a wheel. Best I can figure, is someone at the Service Center curbed one and they had to order a replacement.

Second date was also missed as the "parts had not arrived" so it got pushed back another full week. Couple days after that, they called with "Good news, we can deliver your Tesla early!" LOL... just like Tesla to deliver the car nearly two weeks late, but still call it "early". Was stressful and annoying, but the car was perfect when delivered and worth the extra wait.

You can't know what might really be going on without someone giving you more information. Should be something super minor like a trim piece that's on backorder, or somthing major like paint. Unless you can press them for more info (and true me it's not easy to do), you just may need to wait and see if you are happy once it's delivered.

Tim

Do i even want this car? Do i want to try to get a new VIN? Thoughts? Anyone have experience similar?
If it were me, the answer would be "no". The reason it didnt pass QC is almost assuredly because of some type of damage they dont want to tell you about (because they dont have to report damage if its under some threshhold, something like 5% value or something).

I would want another vin, if that were me, I would not accept that one.