Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery flaw, scratch on inside of interior windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been a lurker of the forum for a while. Took delivery 3 days ago and have been over the moon happy with the car. Has certainly changed my views on EV. So good in fact I'm looking to trade my own car in for an S (model 3 is for the wife).

Only disappointment currently is the small 2 inch scratch on the INSIDE of the windshield that's right in our sight line. Pictures would not show unfortunately. Tesla reps offered a comped tesla yearly package that I had no other choice but to take. They are claiming there are no available parts (in this case the windshield) to replace mine which I totally understand. But also claiming that such a small imperfection cannot be fixed unless it's a danger while driving. I would much rather have been delivered a flawless new car but currently it is what it is. Hoping someone...from tesla reads this and can provide a better option than I got.

Anyone else get delivery with small unfixable flaws?

Reactions: Pkmmte
I had a small scratch inside the layers of my driver's side rear passenger window, but Tesla was able to replace it for me.

Funny side-note... I had the repair done 2 weeks ago and have been driving my car since. Yesterday they called and left me a message saying "Sir, your car has been ready for 2 weeks now. Are you coming to pick it up soon?"
I almost wanted to drive over there and "pick-up" whatever 3 they had waiting for me, but then I would probably have to produce another loaner S to return to them and would be at a net loss.

Did you try asking for a replacement windshield as soon as one becomes available?

I did. The first Rep said it could take months and they would replace it when available. This I was fine with. But I'm guessing he didn't have the authority to offer that because the manager then came to speak to me. She insisted that the scratch is only surface damage to the windshield that is not detrimental to driver safety therefore they would not replace the windshield for that.

I did. The first Rep said it could take months and they would replace it when available. This I was fine with. But I'm guessing he didn't have the authority to offer that because the manager then came to speak to me. She insisted that the scratch is only surface damage to the windshield that is not detrimental to driver safety therefore they would not replace the windshield for that.

I would push back. It may very well be detrimental to YOUR safety. They just want you to go away quietly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lloyd
Try putting some clear windshield tint film over the scratch. A tint shop would be happy to throw a little square on it (with water behind it, simulating a real install). If it works, have the windshield done.

It really helps with the sun heat anyway :)

Try putting some clear windshield tint film over the scratch. A tint shop would be happy to throw a little square on it (with water behind it, simulating a real install). If it works, have the windshield done.

It really helps with the sun heat anyway :)

Not really looking to fork out anymore money than I already have. They offered to try some sort of windshield sealant but said it probably won't work because its in the interior and its harder to reach the sloped glass.

I'm sure Tesla would be happy to pay for it if you discover it solves the problem to your satisfaction.

Much cheaper than a windshield replacement for them, and much sooner for you.

Tint shop would test a piece out for free.

It was their original suggestion...from the original rep. Then the manager came in and goes they have tested it and in the location its in, they have "tried and tested" and have been unable to get to that spot. Had it been on the exterior it would have been much easier. I will try and get a resolution nonetheless.

Holy crap.. i thought i was the only one!

Its a few scratch/ scuff marks between the lamination of the glass.

I called Tesla the next day and was told 1 to 2 weeks for the part to arrive. 2 weeks later and im now told they are on back order and dont know when ill get it....

Holy crap.. i thought i was the only one!

Its a few scratch/ scuff marks between the lamination of the glass.

I called Tesla the next day and was told 1 to 2 weeks for the part to arrive. 2 weeks later and im now told they are on back order and dont know when ill get it....

So I'm not the only one! Im not sure what its left over from. It just feels like its scratched into the glass and you can feel it with your fingernail. It looks like a 2 inch white swirly line.

So I guess with that in mind I can try calling Tesla directly! Since the manager is refusing help.

So I'm not the only one! Im not sure what its left over from. It just feels like its scratched into the glass and you can feel it with your fingernail. It looks like a 2 inch white swirly line.

So I guess with that in mind I can try calling Tesla directly! Since the manager is refusing help.
I cant even feel mine.

Mine is actually IN the glass itself. Never seen anything like it...

It was their original suggestion...from the original rep. Then the manager came in and goes they have tested it and in the location its in, they have "tried and tested" and have been unable to get to that spot. Had it been on the exterior it would have been much easier. I will try and get a resolution nonetheless.

That's ridiculous. "Unable to get to that spot" ... if you can scratch your finger nails on it, any tint shop can "get to that spot."

I have no idea what they're talking about.. I suspect neither do they. Anyway, often times film can hide scratches, whether it is on the inside of glass or paint film on the outside of the car. I'd say it's worth a shot, but it sounds like you shouldn't start at Tesla... bring the solution to Tesla (as in, bring them the windshield tint estimate) if your test patch seems like it would fix the problem.

I had this weird streak in between the panes of glass on the windshield. It just looked like a streak when you clean the glass but don't wipe it down properly but it was inside the glass. They replaced it for me. It took a couple of weeks to get the replacement part but they didn't give me any problems getting a new one.

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri
I had this weird streak in between the panes of glass on the windshield. It just looked like a streak when you clean the glass but don't wipe it down properly but it was inside the glass. They replaced it for me. It took a couple of weeks to get the replacement part but they didn't give me any problems getting a new one.

Would it be possible for you to show your service and replacement record to me by PM? I suspect if anyone else has this windshield problem they could use yours as an example as well. I don't believe for a second they don't have replacement parts available if they're rolling that many 3s out a week.

I have emailed Tesla directly AND contacted the manager I was speaking with and...crickets since delivery. I want some ammo to bring them so they have nothing else to say.

that's mine exactly

You could only really see it when the sun hit it so I just had them move it in the sun and they said they
Would it be possible for you to show your service and replacement record to me by PM? I suspect if anyone else has this windshield problem they could use yours as an example as well. I don't believe for a second they don't have replacement parts available if they're rolling that many 3s out a week.

I have emailed Tesla directly AND contacted the manager I was speaking with and...crickets since delivery. I want some ammo to bring them so they have nothing else to say.

teslainvoice.jpg
I believe they don't have replacement parts available but doesn't mean they can't get them. It took some time for them to get my replacement windshield but I had an airbag sensor warning issue they were working on in the meantime.

That's ridiculous. "Unable to get to that spot" ... if you can scratch your finger nails on it, any tint shop can "get to that spot."

I have no idea what they're talking about.. I suspect neither do they. Anyway, often times film can hide scratches, whether it is on the inside of glass or paint film on the outside of the car. I'd say it's worth a shot, but it sounds like you shouldn't start at Tesla... bring the solution to Tesla (as in, bring them the windshield tint estimate) if your test patch seems like it would fix the problem.

Agreed. The manager was definitely more unwilling to provide any type of resolution except the Tesla package that is no more than a bit of labour on their end. I tried to get them to offer me the sport wheels to no avail :D (also claimed no available stock)

I don't believe for a second they don't have replacement parts available if they're rolling that many 3s out a week.

I do. This is classic Tesla not wanting to pull any parts off the line, when immediate production numbers are all that matter for your very survival and you're even building in tents and need every last part. Also, just the staff required to pull it, box it, label it, and ship it, are tough to allocate, especially after the recent layoffs. This is also nothing new. When I brought my S into a Tesla approved body shop a couple of years ago, when production numbers were also an issue, the first thing I was told was to up my loss of use coverage because some Teslas had sat there for weeks on end waiting for parts and the loss of use coverage may be limited to less time than it takes to fix a Tesla.

You could only really see it when the sun hit it so I just had them move it in the sun and they said they

View attachment 311338
I believe they don't have replacement parts available but doesn't mean they can't get them. It took some time for them to get my replacement windshield but I had an airbag sensor warning issue they were working on in the meantime.

Thanks! Worth a shot. I am not in a rush to get a fix but a fix nonetheless would be nice.