Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused delivery’s due to windshield damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I make the right choice? Yesterday 6/7/23 I refused delivery on my model 3. I noticed a chip/ slash scratch on the on the windshield. I pointed that out and they were able to determine this was actually in-between the double pane windshield. I was very disappointed as this was my first car purchase but feel that it will now take even longer to get my vehicle and I’m worried that I may not get my next vehicle at all due to how long it will take to get another one. Should I have just gotten this fixed by Tesla?

I come from 20 years plus with Audis. Never seen a scratch at delivery.
i understand your comment & expectations...but i don't agree...if tesla was in existence for as long as BMW/Audi...then maybe..but this is/was a new concept & a relatively young company...i expect them to be working out the kinks for awhile...Now, should they treat their customers with respect & do the right thing to get items & issues resolved...YES, but as i have seen over the last 4 yrs..boy have things improved!! Should have been around then..you would have been pulling your hair out!!

Upvote 0
i understand your comment & expectations...but i don't agree...if tesla was in existence for as long as BMW/Audi...then maybe..but this is/was a new concept & a young company
There is a lot of posts in Sweden right now of Tesla delivering very *not clean* cars with numerous defects.
As it seems, they havent learned/progressed in this matter over time.

My own guess is that *the average* buyer accepts more or less anything and that Tesla use this to deliver big number of cars.

You do not need to build cars for 100 years to understand that cars in general should be delivered in a fault free condition so the first thing is not to start a repair session in the app.
To achieve this there should be a quality control system that ensures the cars meet a minimum standard.
This is not the case with Tesla.

My car (delivered 2 1/2 yrs back) was broken underneith from the transport, it also had signs from dirty oily hands all over the interior. It was not cleaned or fixed before delivery and I had to remove parts of the paint protection myself.
The panel alignment was not very good so now I have to get it fixed and painted as the trunk have lost paint due to this.

These things get worse as we speak.
A lot of cars arrive with mud inside the wheel housings (good for Tesla, as it hides the broken parts mounted there).
Paint dents in dozen ob a single car.

No, I will not order a Plaid in these conditions. Was hungry for one but I will stay out of ordering until they learn.

Upvote 0
No, I will not order a Plaid in these conditions. Was hungry for one but I will stay out of ordering until they learn.

To each their own. Tesla delivers cars basically from the transport to the owner. They often aren't sitting in the lot for more than hours.
Unlike a classic dealership, Tesla hasn't spent money on huge car lots to store cars. I just looked it up, a standard dealership expects to hold a car for 71 DAYs! They've got plenty of time to look the car over and determine if there are items that make the car unsaleable. They also count on a buyer choosing from multiple, often identical vehicles.
So a standard dealer can clean a car up, fix it if deemed unsaleable, and let it sit until a less picky buyer selects it. The KNOW it will take an average of 2+ months to sell it.

Tesla is working hard at QC at the factory. Some of the items they were talking about in the last big gathering was about how they have expanded their QC and using advanced techniques for determining issues.

Customers are wanting their cars as soon as possible. If given the option to let Tesla clean and the car and wait 2 days for pickup, I dare say the majority would want to pick up car ASAP. They can wash it elsewhere, And there's a number that DON'T want Tesla to touch the car, they take it straight to get coated or wrapped by professionals.

And when a car has issues, it seems that Tesla is quite ready to fix them. Just like this case.

So I guess that you won't be ordering a Plaid for probably 5+ years.

Upvote 0
Tesla is working hard at QC at the factory. Some of the items they were talking about in the last big gathering was about how they have expanded their QC and using advanced techniques for determining issues.
I wonder .... at the factory they could enter a chatGpt prompt: "two panels are way out of alignment and the glass is cracked, but the buyer might not noticed, should we sell as is or fix it?"

Reactions: devb0824
Upvote 0
You've done it already. Why ask now? These types of issues can be easily fixed after delivery and Tesla gives you time to determine all the issues and make an appointment. But refusing delivery, cmon
Now hear me out on this one. I think if I’m buying a new car and It’s damaged why would I pay 55k for it? Remember this has nothing to do with perfection of the body but instead it’s about the damaged windshield. I don’t think it’s normal to pay full price for a damaged car that’s being sold as brand new. Used is different story, but Tesla won’t even discount the price on a damaged car. I just don’t think it’s normal to buy damaged goods for things that are widely available by order. It’s not like it’s a 1 of 1 super rare deluxe edition that can’t be gotten anywhere else. Cmon on now.

Upvote 0
Now hear me out on this one. I think if I’m buying a new car and It’s damaged why would I pay 55k for it? Remember this has nothing to do with perfection of the body but instead it’s about the damaged windshield. I don’t think it’s normal to pay full price for a damaged car that’s being sold as brand new. Used is different story, but Tesla won’t even discount the price on a damaged car. I just don’t think it’s normal to buy damaged goods for things that are widely available by order. It’s not like it’s a 1 of 1 super rare deluxe edition that can’t be gotten anywhere else. Cmon on now.
Not fair, Tesla seems to always offer to fix the car.

It IS normal for classic dealers to fix things before you ever see the car. You just never know it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Dealers do it all the time. They just do it before they polish it up and move it in the lot.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Dealers do it all the time. They just do it before they polish it up and move it in the lot.
So why wouldn’t Tesla do it? Why present a damaged car car as brand new. Why not just save themselves the issue/backlash and fix it before giving it to a customer. Why would they think it’s okay to present a damaged car to customer who ordered a brand new vehicle?

Reactions: StevenSD
Upvote 0
So why wouldn’t Tesla do it? Why present a damaged car car as brand new. Why not just save themselves the issue/backlash and fix it before giving it to a customer. Why would they think it’s okay to present a damaged car to customer who ordered a brand new vehicle?
Read my posts. Basically customers are too anxious to pick up there cars, the cars stay on the lot for hours, vs classic dealerships 71 days, and they keep the delivery centers small and urban areas to save money.

And Tesla doesn't charge the "dealer prep"

Upvote 0
Yup, we're all asking this question. All the answers we come up are no praises for Tesla.

Reactions: AAKEE
Upvote 0
Like it or not, Tesla is a manufacturer whose goal is to mass-produce EV, they will not stop the production line to fix any cosmetic issues that can be fixed later in SC, unlike other brands like Lexus. Local sales/delivery has no incentives and enough competition for them to strike for like local dealerships. Right now, the brand's premium-ness and build quality are not in the equation no matter how much you paid for. Once more real competitions are on board, things may change.

Reactions: devb0824
Upvote 0
Tesla does inspect every car prior to delivery, but it is perfunctuary. They go over the car for obvious issues, but do not inspect every square inch of glass.
They do not give discounts every time a customer discovers a flaw. That would have every owner looking for the tiniest things in hopes for a lower price.

They will replace your windshield if it has a flaw, but not give you a discount.

You can deny delivery, but you will need to wait until they can get you another car. Cancel that one and most likely they will cancel your order.

There is a line drawn between a customer pointing out an obvious defect and people just being super picky. No way to tell where the OP is on this one.

Upvote 0
There is a line drawn between a customer pointing out an obvious defect and people just being super picky. No way to tell where the OP is on this one.
And then they see someone coming in with a 3-page list of items to inspect that they found on the Internet.

That represents a delivery rep that's not going to be able to get all their cars out unless they work late and then hear from all their customer about them being late.

Compare this with a standard dealer who swarm you like a hive of bees when you step foot on the lot. Everyone out for one thing, your money!

Upvote 0