Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused delivery’s due to windshield damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I make the right choice? Yesterday 6/7/23 I refused delivery on my model 3. I noticed a chip/ slash scratch on the on the windshield. I pointed that out and they were able to determine this was actually in-between the double pane windshield. I was very disappointed as this was my first car purchase but feel that it will now take even longer to get my vehicle and I’m worried that I may not get my next vehicle at all due to how long it will take to get another one. Should I have just gotten this fixed by Tesla?

Did I make the right choice? Yesterday 6/7/23 I refused delivery on my model 3. I noticed a chip/ slash scratch on the on the windshield. I pointed that out and they were able to determine this was actually in-between the double pane windshield. I was very disappointed as this was my first car purchase but feel that it will now take even longer to get my vehicle and I’m worried that I may not get my next vehicle at all due to how long it will take to get another one. Should I have just gotten this fixed by Tesla?

I think you would have been better off letting them replace the windshield. Windshield damage happens all the time and it is a common repair.

Upvote 0

What are the consequences? Are you going to lose your deposit? Anything else?

What did they offer for you to keep the car?

And while its probable that this is something that should be replaced, you do realize that there is not such thing as perfection?

Should have gotten it fixed, I'm sure that the delivery center was willing to work with you.

Upvote 0
If you search hard enough, you will find flaws in most every car.

If the interior laminated scratch was outside your field of view, you could have requested they replace it or just accept it as is.

Of course totally up to you if you were willing to accept the flaw, or reject the car.

Upvote 0
What are the consequences? Are you going to lose your deposit? Anything else?

What did they offer for you to keep the car?

And while its probable that this is something that should be replaced, you do realize that there is not such thing as perfection?

Should have gotten it fixed, I'm sure that the delivery center was willing to work with you.
They offered to fix it within 60 days but seeing other customers experiences and angry customers when I got to the dealership convinced me not to becuase it caused more hassles to get a new car fixed. They sales manager blew it off as nothing but the even the delivery check in person stated I made the right move.

Deposit and down payment will be applied to next allocation.

Upvote 0
I think you would have been better off letting them replace the windshield. Windshield damage happens all the time and it is a common repair.
Tesla seem to be all time high*, delivering broken - dirty - dent and schratched cars.

They need to learn how to do it right and this is not by delivering dub standard products that need to visit the servicecenter for repairing what should have been done right the first time.

Yes, you did the right thing.

My car was broken 2 1/2 years ago, and they had broken cars the same way two years further back.
I had to go 300 km back and forth to fix that.
I was not that hard on panel alignment - now the trunk and bumper has been damaged by contacting each other - need to go there to leave it for fix and paint job, and then go there to catch it up. Three dats of my life used to no use, just by Tesla is a incompetent vompany that is not able to build and deliver a car without braking them.
I never heard of a Audi or BMW that was not top notch at delivery, not another car brand either, except Tesla.

Upvote 0
They offered to fix it within 60 days but seeing other customers experiences and angry customers when I got to the dealership convinced me not to becuase it caused more hassles to get a new car fixed. They sales manager blew it off as nothing but the even the delivery check in person stated I made the right move.

Deposit and down payment will be applied to next allocation.

You've got to stop listening to Internet forums on things like this. Or at least visit a number of them to understand how they work.
MANY people join, just to complain. Most people don't have any issues and have no reason to say or search for anything.
As such, most any forum, on ANY product will easily demonstrate that EVERY product is terrible.
Even as simple as a 4 inch concrete ball will result in responses such as "It wasn't the right color", "It wasn't perfectly round", "It didn't bounce like I expected", "It broke when I dropped it", "It wasn't the right size". "It didn't smell good"

There have been over 2.6 million Teslas sold. I'm pretty sure that over 2 million of those people are satisfied and over 1.3 million have or has indicated that they will but another.

Just think of it this way. Someone is extremely happy that they got a car earlier than expected and if they notice the chip, it will probably result in a few hours of not being able to drive the car.

So they will be happy driving their new car, but you get to continue to drive your old wheels, maybe for a couple more months.

Upvote 0
Tesla seem to be all time high*, delivering broken - dirty - dent and schratched cars.

They need to learn how to do it right and this is not by delivering dub standard products that need to visit the servicecenter for repairing what should have been done right the first time.

My car was broken 2 1/2 years ago, and they had broken cars the same way two years further back.
I was not that hard on panel alignment - now the trunk and bumper has been damaged by contacting each other - need to go there to leave it for fix and paint job, and then go there to catch it up. Three dats of my life used to no use, just by Tesla is a incompetent vompany that is not able to build and deliver a car without braking them.
I never heard of a Audi or BMW that was not top notch at delivery, not another car brand either, except Tesla.

No, if anything, I think that I'm hearing that they are doing a much better job. Look at the number of complaints vs vehicles sold. There are a LOT more being sold today than 4 years ago. That means the you should expect a lot more complaints, just to stay even. But I haven't seen the number of complaints on the forums rise significantly. Mostly what appears now is people assuming that there will be a problem.

Go listen to the Audi or BMW forums for a while. Go to a dealer and detail the cars the way that you did when you got your Tesla. EVERYONE has defects.

I've had my Model 3 for over 5 years without any protection. If I listened to the forums, I'd assume that all my paint would have worn off by now, that air would be rushing the holes in all my mis-gapped panels, and that my car would be ashes.

It actually looks and operate pretty dang good for a 5-year-old car.

Upvote 0
I

100% I agree with you I thought by now they would have this issue resolved but it looks like is still relevant.

Upvote 0
You've got to stop listening to Internet forums on things like this. Or at least visit a number of them to understand how they work.
MANY people join, just to complain. Most people don't have any issues and have no reason to say or search for anything.
As such, most any forum, on ANY product will easily demonstrate that EVERY product is terrible.
Even as simple as a 4 inch concrete ball will result in responses such as "It wasn't the right color", "It wasn't perfectly round", "It didn't bounce like I expected", "It broke when I dropped it", "It wasn't the right size". "It didn't smell good"

There have been over 2.6 million Teslas sold. I'm pretty sure that over 2 million of those people are satisfied and over 1.3 million have or has indicated that they will but another.

Just think of it this way. Someone is extremely happy that they got a car earlier than expected and if they notice the chip, it will probably result in a few hours of not being able to drive the car.

So they will be happy driving their new car, but you get to continue to drive your old wheels, maybe for a couple more months.
Yea my experience may be 1 out of a millions sold. Not everyone shares their experiences either. But the point I was making was that there was clear damage on the windshield and they still tried to sell me a damaged 55k car at full price. I am purchasing a brand new vehicle not a damaged one or used one. I think it’s important to let others know what to look out for.

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
Yea my experience may be 1 out of a millions sold. Not everyone shares their experiences either. But the point I was making was that there was clear damage on the windshield and they still tried to sell me a damaged 55k car at full price. I am purchasing a brand new vehicle not a damaged one or used one. I think it’s important to let others know what to look out for.
Not quite, they offer to fix the car to be as good as new.
Stuff happens in transport.

Upvote 0
i just had the big battery die a certain death after 2.5 yrs...i had to deal with getting it flat bedded, and serviced...then it did not get taken to a close SC near me...They were extremely kind at the Coral Cables SC and handled it off by flatbed to Delray SC ..who also couldn't have been kinder & most cooperative!! it didn't matter who i dealt with everyone at the SC were terrific...i had gotten a loaner & guess what its battery died...but no worries they ran another one over to us. Suffice it to say at the end of the month long captivity on my "X' at the shop awaiting the new battery from Cali...i arrived to take my car away with bagels, cream cheeses & other tasty goodies... they all deserved it!!...
this long story is to help understand that the SC wants to do the right thing & help..they are only hampered by the HDGRTS..if they could have you keep the car and repair once they had a new windshield maybe a good move but waiting for a new one isn't bad either as long as circumstances in your life align with that decision. Tesla is a great car! The software is amazing...(i have a new MB EQS580..it rides Great, but the software is horrible!!)

i think these forums & the internet gets peeps worked up about the cosmetic issues...trust your SC when you next one arrives...any issues...after only speak with service..sales knows NOTHING!! Good Luck in the future

Upvote 0
This reminds me 6 years ago... when I arrived at the SC, they already working on it (without informing me it will take several hours more). The problem is the tech is not skilled at replacing windshield ... whining leaks, silicon all over. Then the SC says 3 more weeks but able to get me a loaner ... delivered by another tech before he went home... 2nd one finished and still leaks (again delivered by tech before he went home and picked up the loaner), then 3rd time is a charm and finally declare success! I just drive the loaner more than my car in the first month on various issues. :) Don't worry, eventually they will get it right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
having been very involved in computers for a long time b4 i purchased the tesla...i decided to approach it this way...its a comp with wheels...that makes it easier to accept the glitches & occasional software issues. It certainly is not a traditional ICE ..don't expect it to behave as such..along with that the service peeps are still learning about the 'car'..my impression of tesla is that they did not do any intense/extensive training for these service guys..more learning as they go!! long term if you have patience you will fall in love with the 'car'. for reference..i have a new MB EQS 580...does NOT compare to the tesla!! The software sucks! the drive is very smooth but i never mind the ride in my 'X' AND the SC knows nothing about the car!!! when you get behind the wheel you know you have a sturdy strong car, but i would like to know the features it offers that i can count on...NOT so! i won't take it to our local SC cuz they are imbeciles..i a.m. waiting for my friend's dealership to fix the things i a.m. unhappy about but want to gather a big list up b4 i have it picked up to travel 40 mi there

Reactions: devb0824
Upvote 0
If you were not okay with it, then do what you feel is right. Looks like your next delivery is coming up soon anyway. I almost rejected delivery on mine also but had about 20 items I submitted to be fixed and I can tell you that service is hit or miss so if you can take a more perfect/less imperfect car then that's great. They did tell me that if I had rejected my first delivery, I only have 1 more chance to take the next one or I loose the deposit. So if they next car is even worse, then you'll have to decide if you really want it for loose $250.

Every Tesla owner I know has had issues, either at delivery or since. They just don't really care because without robust competitors, the cars are selling like hot cakes and if you don't want it someone else will. The amount of crappy QA jobs that Tesla has is not acceptable to any other manufacturer (I've never had a Honda, Toyota, Lexus, BMW, etc etc) with this many problems for new cars.

Upvote 0