Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:
Got the wife's car back after a week and a half. I was very skeptical that they would fix the panel issues adequately and I let them know that clearly. I questioned their gap and mismatch tolerance, which I was told was 4mm (that's too much!) but I was assured it would done to our satisfaction. In order to show that I wasn't just being totally anal, I pointed out a rear trunk gap that was a little off, but not terrible, and would be acceptable. He noted it though and assured me that all would be taken care of.

Picked it up yesterday and... they did a really good job. Even the small trunk gap issue was fixed. Super happy I didn't have one of these stories about them claiming the bad gaps and offsets were within factory tolerance and leaving it at that. 👍

Update:
Got the wife's car back after a week and a half. I was very skeptical that they would fix the panel issues adequately and I let them know that clearly. I questioned their gap and mismatch tolerance, which I was told was 4mm (that's too much!) but I was assured it would done to our satisfaction. In order to show that I wasn't just being totally anal, I pointed out a rear trunk gap that was a little off, but not terrible, and would be acceptable. He noted it though and assured me that all would be taken care of.

Picked it up yesterday and... they did a really good job. Even the small trunk gap issue was fixed. Super happy I didn't have one of these stories about them claiming the bad gaps and offsets were within factory tolerance and leaving it at that. 👍

Nice to hear a good story like this. If you don't mind can you share what region of the US this was in?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
sorry if i missed -- how long did they have your car? did you let them keep it the day of your delivery or after you got home?
With the touchless delivery (drop and run) we had to keep it and schedule the work about 2 weeks after delivery and they kept it a week and a half. Had a 2018 3 as a loaner. Made us appreciate the improvements since then, especially getting rid of that chrome trim.
Nice to hear a good story like this. If you don't mind can you share what region of the US this was in?
Phoenix area. Tempe service center was used. They had to send it to the Scottsdale center for the paint touch-up but I assume they did the panel work and other stuff in Tempe. My company CEO had an X and said he had great service there in Tempe as well.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Took delivery a couple of weeks ago, compared to my first delivery of my M3P this one is a mess.

1) Doesn't have the lowered suspension when I ordered back in Dec. Measurements show my car is slightly higher than even your average Model 3 Standard as well which is annoying. Service and Delivery keep passing the buck back and forth on this as both claim it should have lowered suspension but need more answers from corporate. Service also tried to say the car had to be 10" from the ground as per NYS law and when I stated well mine is only 9" I guess we should discuss buyback since it's illegal in this configuration and the tune changed cause it was a BS statement.

2) Passenger Taillights keep water/condensation. On my service request they called and said this was normal and it would go away, when I said it was 3 days now and it's still there he said it's normal and some speel about it being designed in California which I guess he's saying "That's why they are garbage". I said ill just put in 3 service requests and then go from there as you aren't allowed to have your tail-lights have visible water and condensation/foggyness that could block the lights as per NYS law (the ol switcharoo on him). He approved new tail-lights for that side.

3) Deep scratch on rear driver quarter (over a foot long) noticed as well during detail/ceramic coating. No answer on this one yet. Annoyed this is a repaint if we can't wet-sand it down.

4) They got my address wrong on my registration, like before they double down and say they did nothing wrong and I asked why my Bill of sale, insurance documents, everything has my proper address but the registration is wrong and they finally said "yeah gotta fix that" then told me to just go fix it myself on the DMV website. Overnighted my reg documents as it was going to be returned to sender due to their address mistake. (The envelope even had the wrong address that was inside the UPS overnight). Even funnier they overglued the envelope making the registration unremovable from it so it's garbage and I gotta order another one.

Welp, I'm joining all of you folks now! I took delivery today, and saw a panel gap between the rear windshield and the rooftop glass. Normally, a rubber seal spans the gap between these 2 glass pieces. In my case, the rubber seal is only attached to the rear glass. The rear glass is also too close to my trunk, so I think it was set unevenly.
Initially, the service tech said "it's within specs". I pointed out the seal is about 2mm away from the roof glass, so water can enter. He said that's ok. I said "OK, cool, as long as that test drive model 3 has the same gap, I won't complain." Obviously, the other car didn't have that issue. Neither did a second car we inspected.
I have a service date on the 25th.

• Funny
Hi all,

I recently accepted delivery of a brand new M3LR at the Irvine, CA delivery center on 2/12/2022. There were a couple panel gaps… but I was assured the service center would take care of it. Begrudgingly, I accepted delivery and made a service request. Luckily, the Torrance, CA service center had availability 2/15, so I took that one.

After having receiving my car back, I now notice a loud creaking noise when driving that wasn’t previously present. I’ve uploaded a small clip here so you can hear for yourself: Streamable Video

The next available service appointment is going into April. Am I able to just walk-in to a service center since this was caused by an existing service center visit? Has anyone else experienced something like this after having panels ‘adjusted’?

congrats on your car and delivery. sorry to hear you are having issues.

sadly when you accept the car and drive it off that's it. there would not be any way you could prove the squeak happened due to something the service center did. im not tryin' to be argumentative.

you may be able to find a sympathetic employee who can assist you but that would be the exception not the norm.

Took a delivery today. The car actually looked very good and the only thing they adjusted was the gap on the left between the trunk and the body. It took them literally 2 minutes to make it look perfect. The other thing I'm not sure about why the doors need to be almost slammed to close shut.
Slammed? Uh oh. Not in mine. All the doors close with a very light pull

• Helpful
Hi all,

I recently accepted delivery of a brand new M3LR at the Irvine, CA delivery center on 2/12/2022. There were a couple panel gaps… but I was assured the service center would take care of it. Begrudgingly, I accepted delivery and made a service request. Luckily, the Torrance, CA service center had availability 2/15, so I took that one.

After having receiving my car back, I now notice a loud creaking noise when driving that wasn’t previously present. I’ve uploaded a small clip here so you can hear for yourself: Streamable Video

The next available service appointment is going into April. Am I able to just walk-in to a service center since this was caused by an existing service center visit? Has anyone else experienced something like this after having panels ‘adjusted’?
That sounds like your garage door closing and opening

Welp, I'm joining all of you folks now! I took delivery today, and saw a panel gap between the rear windshield and the rooftop glass. Normally, a rubber seal spans the gap between these 2 glass pieces. In my case, the rubber seal is only attached to the rear glass. The rear glass is also too close to my trunk, so I think it was set unevenly.
Initially, the service tech said "it's within specs". I pointed out the seal is about 2mm away from the roof glass, so water can enter. He said that's ok. I said "OK, cool, as long as that test drive model 3 has the same gap, I won't complain." Obviously, the other car didn't have that issue. Neither did a second car we inspected.
I have a service date on the 25th.

Sounds like the same issue I had when I picked up my car February 1st (photo attached with the gap). I didn't bother to debate any panel gaps during delivery and just photographed everything and scheduled an appointment within 24 hours. When I brought my car in, they taped up all the panel gap concerns and said they would be addressed by the end of the day. I picked up my car after they closed (key card was in the center console and my app was released to where I could unlock my car again...which was weird but I'm glad I got my car the same day). The rear windshield was taped up and was completely replaced. No more gap!

20220201_163430.jpg