Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! In my case the SA was also very friendly and knowledgeable. He immediately agreed with my decision to not accept the car due to very unseemly uneven frunk gaps. However, he was reluctant in the beginning to let me examine the interior before I signed off for the delivery. It didn't matter in the end though as I rejected the car. Interesting that my EDD is still showing January 28-31
Got new EDD: February 15 - 26th. I really hope to get it before the 24th: I will be out of the country starting on the 24th and I'm reluctant to accept it without checking it out first

I just picked up my M3 today, noticed that the rear glass gasket between the back panel and trunk on the left side is short, which would allow rain to go in. You can see the auto trunk opening mechanism through the crack. The right side has upper facing “lip” to prevent water from going in. It looks like it’s sealed between the back window, so that would need to come off to get this fixed. Is this a hassle? Other than this, a minor scratch on my driver rear window molding (the black part just below the gap) and minor gap issues that I think I can live with.
417ED6AA-FFDD-49AB-AB0D-24F494E772B5.png

I just picked up my M3 today, noticed that the rear glass gasket between the back panel and trunk on the left side is short, which would allow rain to go in. You can see the auto trunk opening mechanism through the crack.

That gap is normal. It's on all of the cars with the powered trunk, and directly underneath is the channel for water to drain from the roof to the rear bumper.

Reactions: MLXXXp
Hey hey :) Trying to assess what's normal, vs not normal with panel gaps! Picked my car up last night, and today noticed a few things. Does the Frunk usually have a decent gap? And, one area toward rear passenger window looks especially large to me? For those who have had these serviced, any feedback on how long they keep your car for? Thank you!!

IMG_2437.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: CarlThompson
Hey hey :) Trying to assess what's normal, vs not normal with panel gaps! Picked my car up last night, and today noticed a few things. Does the Frunk usually have a decent gap? And, one area toward rear passenger window looks especially large to me? For those who have had these serviced, any feedback on how long they keep your car for? Thank you!!

View attachment 764134

From what I can see your frunk looks just fine to me and very similar to my first Model 3. I'd like to see a straight on shot of it that shows both sides at once to be sure but I think it's OK.

The gap on the piece above the trunk strut is a bit larger than it was on my old Model 3 but I've read that's normal because of the new powered trunk lift gate that my car didn't have. Because the powered strut is only on one side I've read that it's also normal for the gap to be slightly larger on that one side than the other.

The bottom line is I believe that your car is just fine and as it should be. But if you'd like to give it to me and try again... ;-)

Reactions: Keninblaine

View attachment 764134
The frunk should be adjusted forward a few mm and the trunk gap on the side is huge. Get that adjusted too.

Reactions: Doggerton
View attachment 764226
The right side has the rubber gasket between the rear windshield and panel — are you saying one side should not have the gasket (side with strut) and the other should have it visible?
Apparently missing left trim is a “feature” to accommodate for the strut…

I was confused by the power strut thing bigger gap on left also, but observed it was same on the other 3s on the lot. Mine did have a bit bigger gap due to window placement which is what initially caught my attention on delivery.

As to Doggertons issues, the frunk is a very fast adjustment not sure on other gap but they seem pretty willing to try to adjust anything that can be adjusted, you might want to wait a while to see if anything else pops up before making a service appt. unless it is really bugging you.

Check the torque on your wheel lugs. As with previous orders, the lugs were short of spec anywhere from half a 1/4 turn to a full turn. When my brother brought his by a few weeks ago, his were the same. Probably not a big deal but it shouldn't happen. 129 ft. lbs is spec.

saw someone post this exact same issue/fix either on this forum or reddit in the last few days. happy to hear it was a simple fix.

dont be. tesla have low scores when it comes to SAs and their lack of communication -- sure-- and thats unfortunate. i had to go through that with my first tesla back in 3/2020 -- it did not take away the allure and excitement on the day i got to pick it up. you've a vin and im sure your delivery will meet or exceed your expectations.

if you hang around these type of threads a lot you will start to get confirmation bias about having to expect the car is going to have issues, gaps, etc. my first car had no such issues and i expect the one i ordered now to be the same.
Took delivery of my M3LR. Rather disappointed with a paint chip on the hood and an issue with the side mirror. They said it will all be fixed but still, wtf.

This is my 2nd delivery and both had very visible issues. I think this is where the big auto mfrs will eat Tesla’s lunch…they know how to do QC at scale

Reactions: Teleezen
Took delivery of my M3LR. Rather disappointed with a paint chip on the hood and an issue with the side mirror. They said it will all be fixed but still, wtf.

This is my 2nd delivery and both had very visible issues. I think this is where the big auto mfrs will eat Tesla’s lunch…they know how to do QC at scale
My next delivery is on 2/22 now after I rejected the previous one on 1/28 due to defects. Most likely, I will just walk away if the car has visible defects. I don't think I can make myself pay $55K for a car with visible imperfections no matter how well the car drives.

Does anyone happen to know how long they tend to keep your car when they adjust panel gaps? Do they offer loaner cars? I got the service request approval, and $0 charge for the estimate and it referenced loaner cars. I've only had this car since Tuesday night, and it's my first Tesla, so not sure what to expect. Thanks for any feedback! :)