Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a delivery for a Model 3 SR coming up soon and I've looked at a couple check list documents. These check lists have hundreds of items and many of them are small things such as making sure the truck opens up properly or the brake lights turn on.

What are the big items I should be looking out for? What common delivery problems do most Tesla's have? Anything I should be keeping an eye out really close?

I have a delivery for a Model 3 SR coming up soon and I've looked at a couple check list documents. These check lists have hundreds of items and many of them are small things such as making sure the truck opens up properly or the brake lights turn on.

What are the big items I should be looking out for? What common delivery problems do most Tesla's have? Anything I should be keeping an eye out really close?
Unfortunately, you will be surprised how much those small things will annoy you late down the line if you dont review them up front.

We got our new Model 3 last night (it was dark), and it's still under 100 miles. On the driver's side, we discovered a severe manufacture paint defect (such as peeling paint and 3-inch buffer marks) tonight. What should we do now? Should we refuse this car and ask for a new one (if possible)? Any general idea/suggestions would be appreciated. We also got a $3,750 discount on the December delivery.

Once you accept, it's yours, unfortunately. The only thing you can do is open a ticket through your Tesla app. Provide a bunch of pictures.

If you have a local service center, bring it back to them and show them the defect. Do you have pictures?

We were delivered ours with paint chips (that you can feel) on a few areas. Some areas are scuffed up but not damaged so those were left alone. The chips had to be fixed at one of their partner body shops. Unfortunately it took them from Nov 9th until Dec 6th...

It was night, and we hadn't noticed that since today. We got the car at 5:50 pm, 10 mins before they close.

If you signed for the car its yours, period unless the laws in TX are different than they are in CA and the most of the USA for vehicle sales which state " There is no cooling off period".

Submit a service request in the app to get whatever you find repaired (do that ASAP dont wait if you dont have to). You should be able to get most things addressed, but for vehicles there is no return line. When you sign for it (even electronically) and accept it, its yours. Tesla used to have a return policy but filed under the heading "reason 41243431145 why we cant have nice things", it was abused by some, and it was removed.

Picked up our Long Range lease today; had two minor issues: two scratches, and a weird fitment issue on an interior panel. Scratches, one on the driver rear door, one on the driver rear quarter. Rear quarter requires a visit to the paint shop, they're taking care of it. Driver rear door trim panel was visibly not fit correctly; they took it in back and fixed it on site. Definitely enjoyed the drive home. First EV. I followed the Tesla Prep web app, checked over the entire vehicle pretty thoroughly before signing final papers.

Follow-up: I went there and got the general manager out of his meeting. But he insisted on sending the car to a body shop; but painting a car and matching the color for the long term is an art, and sometimes it's not really feasible. Simply put, I can't trust them. I told the general manager, let's make a deal, pay me $700 (a charger and mat) and I will ignore it. He accepted!

Reactions: navguy12
Hey folks, looking for some advice on what to live with here vs. try to get addressed.

I took delivery of '23 M3 RWD MSM/White on 12/5. Overall, I'm very happy with the car. It drives great (no sounds etc.), and interior is near flawlessly finished.

I did notice a few issues over the first few days and opened a service appointment to address a few things a few weeks away in Jan (first available appointment). Here are my issues I found from greatest concern to least:

1. Noticeable dip in frunk where it appears the panel is slightly warped. Was very obvious looking dead on from front at a certain distance; was able to make it less obvious by adjusting the "bumpers"
2. Passenger side headlight protrudes a few MM off on top; other one is spot on
3. A few circular motion deep glass scratches on driver rear outside window (not pictured)
4. After cleaning a smudge off the steering wheel emblem, appears to have defective finish with several spots now showing

We'll see what they say about these. Its a bit of a bummer, especially the glass, as I only noticed after having the car tinted. A few others have reported the same thing, even on both rear windows. Not sure if I'll even get that fixed, or maybe try to use some polish to get most of it out. Overall, love the car and otherwise great fit and finish; all other panels/trim look great. I'm on the fence with trying to address the other issues at risk of screwing something else up in the process. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9676.png
    IMG_9676.png
    596.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_9671.png
    IMG_9671.png
    422.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_9951.png
    IMG_9951.png
    378.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9952.png
    IMG_9952.png
    428.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_9953.png
    IMG_9953.png
    371.6 KB · Views: 125
Hey folks, looking for some advice on what to live with here vs. try to get addressed.

I took delivery of '23 M3 RWD MSM/White on 12/5. Overall, I'm very happy with the car. It drives great (no sounds etc.), and interior is near flawlessly finished.

I did notice a few issues over the first few days and opened a service appointment to address a few things a few weeks away in Jan (first available appointment). Here are my issues I found from greatest concern to least:

1. Noticeable dip in frunk where it appears the panel is slightly warped. Was very obvious looking dead on from front at a certain distance; was able to make it less obvious by adjusting the "bumpers"
3. A few circular motion deep glass scratches on driver rear outside window (not pictured)
4. After cleaning a smudge off the steering wheel emblem, appears to have defective finish with several spots now showing

We'll see what they say about these. Its a bit of a bummer, especially the glass, as I only noticed after having the car tinted. A few others have reported the same thing, even on both rear windows. Not sure if I'll even get that fixed, or maybe try to use some polish to get most of it out. Overall, love the car and otherwise great fit and finish; all other panels/trim look great. I'm on the fence with trying to address the other issues at risk of screwing something else up in the process. Thoughts?
If you're not comfortable with what you have and can't live with it, I would open a ticket and have them give you options for a resolution. The best time to bring all this up is now. At the very least you will have a record/history of bringing these issues up in the case they become a bigger issue in the future even if you let is be this go round.

Reactions: Tr3lonTusk

I think they gonna say everything is within spec except for steering wheel

A few weeks ago I took delivery of a -23 Model 3P. When I drove it home I noticed a slight rattle from the front passenger seat, but didn’t think much of it. The other day I discovered that both front seats were missing the rear seat rail attachment bolts. 4 bolts missing completely! I’m not impressed with the lack of quality assurance that misses an issue like that. I had the car towed to the dealership where it was fixed. Hopefully this was a one-off problem, but it adds one more inspection item on the delivery checklist.

• Informative
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
AA46E524-8350-4FA8-BFEB-CB354BB92BD2.jpeg
24566A7B-6D05-4256-BF69-D068DDF3C587.jpeg
912494C6-D4BC-4DD7-B8F4-1CEA8B65C9A0.jpeg

I just took delivery on a new M3 on Wednesday. When I got the car up to highway speeds it seemed like there was more wind noise than there should have been. At first I thought one of the windows might have been slightly down or one of the doors slightly open.

When I was got home I had a look at the driver’s door at first I thought it wasn’t fully closed. It seemed to be sticking out just slightly at the bottom. It didn’t look to be sitting flush like the rear door. I took a closer look and noticed a significant gap between the front and rear doors. When both doors are closed the gap between them is large enough for me to stick my index finger between them. You can actually look in between the two doors and clearly see the B pillar. The gap seems to get larger at the bottom. I’m not sure if the driver’s door is correctly aligned or if it’s hanging slightly at an angle.

My question is should I make a big deal about this. Right now the door seems to open and close without issue, but I concerned that after the door has been opened and closed 1,000 or 10,000 times that gap may get even worse and the door may begin to rub against the frame.

My question is should I make a big deal about this. Right now the door seems to open and close without issue, but I concerned that after the door has been opened and closed 1,000 or 10,000 times that gap may get even worse and the door may begin to rub against the frame.
I was thinking you were reporting that the door was damaged.
But it seems to be solely an alignment issue, which can be easily fixed, see link below.
I believe that this kind of issue needs to be reported before the 100 miles mark, to be sure to be covered under warranty.
Try making a report and schedule an appointment using your phone App. I think you can add some pictures.
You should get a reply in less than a day.

Last edited:
Quick update. I took the car into the service center. Tesla determined there was a problem with the door, but they can’t fix it on site. It needs to be sent to the body shop.

They gave me a loaner, but still I’m a bit frustrated with the situation. These are things that should be caught by Tesla during a quality control inspection either at the factory or at worst prior to delivery. I’m just hoping they get the car back to me quickly.

If you're not comfortable with what you have and can't live with it, I would open a ticket and have them give you options for a resolution. The best time to bring all this up is now. At the very least you will have a record/history of bringing these issues up in the case they become a bigger issue in the future even if you let is be this go round.
Yeah, I agree. I'll at least see what they advise as remedy and determine how invasive I'm willing to allow them to be.

I was actually able to fix the spotting on the emblem. I was sitting in the car and figured "what if I just rub the hell out of it with my thumb?" Sure enough, it looks perfect now lol. Elbow grease and low-tech solution FTW!

I just picked up a new 2023 Model 3 and can't drive it due to a distorted front windshield. Eyes get fatigued and start having nausea/headaches after a few minutes of driving. Service Center refuses to replace the windshield even after escalating it as a safety issue unless paying out of pocket. You can clearly see waves across the entire center section of the windshield while looking out from the side. Can anyone please advise?

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I just picked up a new 2023 Model 3 and can't drive it due to a distorted front windshield. Eyes get fatigued and start having nausea/headaches after a few minutes of driving. Service Center refuses to replace the windshield even after escalating it as a safety issue unless paying out of pocket. You can clearly see waves across the entire center section of the windshield while looking out from the side. Can anyone please advise?
Try a different service center. Go in and compare it to another model 3. If they still won't do anything, I would go to the arbitrator.