Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery yesterday. Careless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we got a new Model X yesterday.

Showed up 15 minutes early, and checked in. We were given a paperwork folder.
We wondered into the delivery area (Marina Del Rey) where they had an apple-store type video wall setup showing how to use your car - we did not watch.

We spent 10 minutes perusing their "store" and bought the wireless battery power-bank.
They sales girl also tried telling me that the [Model 3] wireless charger would work on the Model S as well as the Model 3, but would not work on the Model X. I asked her multiple times, and she insisted she was right. We checked with someone else and they confirmed it would only work with the Model 3. Weird that a sales person would not know that.

We got called, and went to sign the paperwork. Took about 10 minutes because I read the paperwork.

We got told to "go outside and get your car."
We went outside and the outside person said open your app and honk your horn. Then said "okay, that's your car is over there, go and check it out." We did, but nobody came over with us.
Not sure if they were too busy, or we were supposed to go over if we had questions.
We checked out the car for about 10 minutes, and then drove off.
The person at the gate had us sign something that we had our car.

We were never asked for ID's or any of the paperwork they insisted that we have.

A little lack-luster.
Perhaps better than someone trying to tell us about a car we already know about.

You basically got lighting delivery. If you found something you didn’t like, you’d go in and have them noted on the account if it was minor. Then book a ranger to come to your home. Otherwise you can refuse delivery.

Regarding driving off the lot they don’t need to check ID, as you were given the keys and your app confirmed. I guess signing at the gate is your consent to taking delivery as is, and a hit / miss with service during your 4yr/80k mi warranty

Ha you got the gold treatment vs me. I walked into an empty showroom with tesla employees hidden away. I walked around looking for someone and they were in the back chatting. Once they saw me they were attentive. I still hadn't seen a Mvpa or final numbers. They had me sign papers and then asked ME what I needed to pay!?!? Didnt get a folder nor paper copies. They glanced over and pointed to a model X in the bay and said "Theres your car!" And that was it. It wasnt busy, so they had plenty of time to talk, but it seemed like they weren't into it. Wasnt a very friendly feeling. Was odd, compared to picking up my 3 last year.

Reactions: Vitaman
The ID comment was more about signing paperwork. They insisted we bring ID, Insurance Info, etc.
However, nobody ever asked us for it.
Ha you got the gold treatment vs me. I walked into an empty showroom with tesla employees hidden away. I walked around looking for someone and they were in the back chatting. Once they saw me they were attentive. I still hadn't seen a Mvpa or final numbers. They had me sign papers and then asked ME what I needed to pay!?!? Didnt get a folder nor paper copies. They glanced over and pointed to a model X in the bay and said "Theres your car!" And that was it. It wasnt busy, so they had plenty of time to talk, but it seemed like they weren't into it. Wasnt a very friendly feeling. Was odd, compared to picking up my 3 last year.
Apparently if you ever took delivery of a Tesla before, they expect you to sign, take your payment, and be on your way. In the future I would love for my next delivery be delivered to my home.

I went into the sunnyvale show room early on a friday AM to see if any lot-cars in fremont would work for me. kind of wanted to buy one that night. we found one, I gave them my credit card for the initial payment and went home, waiting for the call back and time to drive up to fremont.

I got the OK mid-day and I got a friend to drive me up to fremont. he waited 1/2 an hour and had to leave; it was the end of the day, at this point. I had all I needed to finish the papers - but .... no paper check and no checking account number with me (I don't use phones for banking; don't trust 'apps' or web on mobile).

my ride left. its about 1/2 hour before closing. I have enough room on my credit card to finish the payment but they refuse to take it and insist on paper check or e-check. I could not get that going in time and while they offered me a ride to an ATM (lol), that would put us past closing time for tesla.

I'm sweating. trying to call my bank and get my numbers over the phone. nope, not easily done.

finally, they agree to take a credit card. we had a short period of time to review the car before I drove off with it. at that point, I had a bit of a headache from the process and last minute stress. most stressful buying for any car; and I'm over 50 and have had my share of new cars over the years..

I went into the sunnyvale show room early on a friday AM to see if any lot-cars in fremont would work for me. kind of wanted to buy one that night. we found one, I gave them my credit card for the initial payment and went home, waiting for the call back and time to drive up to fremont.

I got the OK mid-day and I got a friend to drive me up to fremont. he waited 1/2 an hour and had to leave; it was the end of the day, at this point. I had all I needed to finish the papers - but .... no paper check and no checking account number with me (I don't use phones for banking; don't trust 'apps' or web on mobile).

my ride left. its about 1/2 hour before closing. I have enough room on my credit card to finish the payment but they refuse to take it and insist on paper check or e-check. I could not get that going in time and while they offered me a ride to an ATM (lol), that would put us past closing time for tesla.

I'm sweating. trying to call my bank and get my numbers over the phone. nope, not easily done.

finally, they agree to take a credit card. we had a short period of time to review the car before I drove off with it. at that point, I had a bit of a headache from the process and last minute stress. most stressful buying for any car; and I'm over 50 and have had my share of new cars over the years..
I’m more impressed you were able to purchase and drive one home all in the same day.

Reactions: Vitaman
I took delivery on 12/26 in Dublin and it wasn't a good experience at all. We checked in and had to wait 40 minutes before a guy came in with paper work. He was a volunteer with very little information about the delivery process. Overall I felt like nobody cared. I signed few papers, provided my payment details and done. I was expecting some documentation/DMV papers back but not even a slip was given. Nobody checked when we drove out. Car had 78 miles of charge and all supercharger stalls were full, they didn't care. I see few minor issues and don't know how service guys are going to respond. yet to call them. Car is fun to drive and that makes me happy at least.

Unfortunately your delivery sounds like an effect of their year end sales push. When picking up my MX a few years ago it was essentially the same thing. Sign your folder of paperwork, have any questions, no oky great cya. At the end of it I had a long drive home so I didn't mind much, but a bit more would have been nice. That being said, if I wanted a long sales pitch and walk thru of the car I could've been more forceful and asked.

Unfortunately your delivery sounds like an effect of their year end sales push. When picking up my MX a few years ago it was essentially the same thing. Sign your folder of paperwork, have any questions, no oky great cya. At the end of it I had a long drive home so I didn't mind much, but a bit more would have been nice. That being said, if I wanted a long sales pitch and walk thru of the car I could've been more forceful and asked.
Yep, Regarding MX , i kinda knew more than the volunteer who was helping me with delivery :D so no point in asking a walkthrough. I agree little more wlecome feeling in the center would have been nice. Car is amazing so it balances out any unpleasant experience :)