Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

departure time not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Have Tesla charger 60 amp, can charge up to 44mi. I set the departure and precondition cabin for 4am. It worked great until this passed week. I set the limit to 80% all the time. But the car wasn't finish by 4am and it was only charging at 23 miles. I tried turning the depart time off then on. I tried a hard reset of the car. I tried flipping the circuit breaker to the charger. Nothing worked!! I even tried turning off depart time and just charge the car, but it would start at 44 mi then reduce to 23mi..Any ideas?

I Have Tesla charger 60 amp, can charge up to 44mi. I set the departure and precondition cabin for 4am. It worked great until this passed week. I set the limit to 80% all the time. But the car wasn't finish by 4am and it was only charging at 23 miles. I tried turning the depart time off then on. I tried a hard reset of the car. I tried flipping the circuit breaker to the charger. Nothing worked!! I even tried turning off depart time and just charge the car, but it would start at 44 mi then reduce to 23mi..Any ideas?
Tesla's departure time scheduling currently leaves a lot to be desired since it doesn't let you program in time of use schedules and it could charge during expensive rate periods.

Instead of using departure scheduling, just use regular scheduled charging. If you know it charges at 44 mph, just schedule it to start early enough to add however many miles you need.

I made a chart that allows us to quickly determine schedule time based on amps, volts and Wh/mile. We always use the same schedule time every day and 95% of the time the car is fully charged when it's time to drive it in the morning. If the car was driven farther than usual the previous day then sometimes it isn't "fully charged" but with a 300 mile range, it doesn't matter to us. If we really need the full charge for a road trip, then we might turn on charging manually and then just top it off in the morning before we head out.

Any message about the current reduction? Maybe look in the service menu.

it doesn’t sound to me like the problem is the departure timing, but that it isn’t getting the expected current.

is it super cold there? Do you get full current if you just plug in and charge?

Tesla's departure time scheduling currently leaves a lot to be desired since it doesn't let you program in time of use schedules and it could charge during expensive rate periods.

Instead of using departure scheduling, just use regular scheduled charging. If you know it charges at 44 mph, just schedule it to start early enough to add however many miles you need.

I made a chart that allows us to quickly determine schedule time based on amps, volts and Wh/mile. We always use the same schedule time every day and 95% of the time the car is fully charged when it's time to drive it in the morning. If the car was driven farther than usual the previous day then sometimes it isn't "fully charged" but with a 300 mile range, it doesn't matter to us. If we really need the full charge for a road trip, then we might turn on charging manually and then just top it off in the morning before we head out.

thanks for replying but the problem is it doesn't stay charging at 44miles it reduces to 23miles about 30 minutes to to charging no matter what the battery % is

thanks for replying but the problem is it doesn't stay charging at 44miles it reduces to 23miles about 30 minutes to to charging no matter what the battery % is
Yeah, that sounds like a totally different issue. Are you using a 3rd gen wall connector by any chance? If not, what is your charging setup?

The 3rd gen wall connectors have a known issue which causes them to lower the charge rate.

Any message about the current reduction? Maybe look in the service menu.

it doesn’t sound to me like the problem is the departure timing, but that it isn’t getting the expected current.

is it super cold there? Do you get full current if you just plug in and charge?
cold 25 at night and 50 day I live on Long Island ny. and yes I get full current when I plug in but It reduces to half about 30 minutes into the charge

I have 3Rd get connector.. any suggestions I emailed Tesla support yesterday but didn't get a reply

Here's a long thread about the gen 3 wall connector overheating issue:
Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

Basically, you'll probably need to check the firmware and see if you have the latest version. If not, they can send it to you and that might fix it. If not, you can contact Tesla and they'll send you a replacement but it sounds like the problem still hasn't been resolved. We still use three of the gen 2 wall connectors so we don't experience this issue ourselves, fortunately.